jessicalucy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello (: I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place so apologies!

I'm currently very confused about my future career prospects. I've wanted to be a forensic psychologist since I was about 16, and subsequently took Psychology with Criminology at university. I'm in my second year of the course and I've had a complete change of heart! I'm really interested in criminals, especially serial killers, and I've been interested in the area for a very long time. But I'm thinking that maybe that's all it is - an interest. I love reading books about crime, watching documentaries about it and researching things about it, but I'm not sure that I want to be involved in 'crime' as a career. I just don't think it'll make me happy. I'll be really interested in it but I won't exactly come home from work smiling and laughing!

So basically, I don't really know what to do. I've had my life planned out since I was 16 and decided to be a forensic psychologist, but now I'm stuck! I need some advice on where to go next, so that I don't waste time worrying about my future when I can be acting on it and paving out a path for myself. I would have to finish my third year of university because I don't really want to give up now. The thought of another year of this course fills me with dread because I hate it! But I guess it's just something that's got to be done! Here's some ideas of future careers etc.:

~ Midwife: Before I decided I wanted to be a forensic psychologist I wanted to be a midwife. I would love to do this now but I think it's a bit too late for me. Can anybody tell me about the course/job?
~ Maternity Support Worker: I love children and babies and I think this job is a bit more baby-oriented that a midwife? Again, any information please?
~ Something to do with children/childcare?
~ Nursing with Registration course (Would choose the 'mental health' pathway) - 3 year course though :\
~ Something else that I can do with my degree??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm just at a bit of a crossroads in my life right now and need to get my head around it!

Thank you (: Jess x
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jessicalucy)
Hello (: I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place so apologies!

I'm currently very confused about my future career prospects. I've wanted to be a forensic psychologist since I was about 16, and subsequently took Psychology with Criminology at university. I'm in my second year of the course and I've had a complete change of heart! I'm really interested in criminals, especially serial killers, and I've been interested in the area for a very long time. But I'm thinking that maybe that's all it is - an interest. I love reading books about crime, watching documentaries about it and researching things about it, but I'm not sure that I want to be involved in 'crime' as a career. I just don't think it'll make me happy. I'll be really interested in it but I won't exactly come home from work smiling and laughing!

So basically, I don't really know what to do. I've had my life planned out since I was 16 and decided to be a forensic psychologist, but now I'm stuck! I need some advice on where to go next, so that I don't waste time worrying about my future when I can be acting on it and paving out a path for myself. I would have to finish my third year of university because I don't really want to give up now. The thought of another year of this course fills me with dread because I hate it! But I guess it's just something that's got to be done! Here's some ideas of future careers etc.:

~ Midwife: Before I decided I wanted to be a forensic psychologist I wanted to be a midwife. I would love to do this now but I think it's a bit too late for me. Can anybody tell me about the course/job?
~ Maternity Support Worker: I love children and babies and I think this job is a bit more baby-oriented that a midwife? Again, any information please?
~ Something to do with children/childcare?
~ Nursing with Registration course (Would choose the 'mental health' pathway) - 3 year course though :\
~ Something else that I can do with my degree??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm just at a bit of a crossroads in my life right now and need to get my head around it!

Thank you (: Jess x
Have a think about what your motivation to be a midwife/MSW is. If it's to look after babies and children, which I get the feeling that's what interests you, then you'd be better off looking into children's nursing. The majority of a midwife's work is with the mother, not the baby.

With a psychology degree you could apply for the shortened PGDip course for nursing (for whichever branch you choose) which is over two years, it's a little bit more intense than the undergrad course as you still have to fit in all the placement hours. I'm not sure if this option exists for pre reg midwives, if it does I'd expect it to be incredibly competitive.
jessicalucy
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)
Have a think about what your motivation to be a midwife/MSW is. If it's to look after babies and children, which I get the feeling that's what interests you, then you'd be better off looking into children's nursing. The majority of a midwife's work is with the mother, not the baby.

With a psychology degree you could apply for the shortened PGDip course for nursing (for whichever branch you choose) which is over two years, it's a little bit more intense than the undergrad course as you still have to fit in all the placement hours. I'm not sure if this option exists for pre reg midwives, if it does I'd expect it to be incredibly competitive.
I added MSW in because that job's a lot more with the child than with the mother. I understand that a midwife is more about looking after the mother before and during the birth, which is why I'm not sure if it's for me.

Just researched the PGDip Nursing with Registration courses and most say that you need about 4 months healthcare-related experience. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get this... Might have to look into it more.

Thank you! (:
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I added MSW in because that job's a lot more with the child than with the mother. I understand that a midwife is more about looking after the mother before and during the birth, which is why I'm not sure if it's for me.

Just researched the PGDip Nursing with Registration courses and most say that you need about 4 months healthcare-related experience. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get this... Might have to look into it more.

Thank you! (:
A MSW is there to support the midwives, if you're dead set on working with children and babies maybe look into becoming a HCA on a children's ward or children's hospital if theres one you can get to.

For any healthcare course they will expect you to have some form of experience, nursing and midwifery are quite competitive at the moment so as is usually suggested with threads like these, try and get some experience with the roles you're interested in. If you're clever you can make them all relevant to each other in a PS for whichever you apply for
jessicalucy
Rep:
?
If you're clever you can make them all relevant to each other in a PS for whichever you apply for
What do you mean by this? Sorry! Getting confused, haha (:
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What do you mean by this? Sorry! Getting confused, haha (:
If you were to get experience in one area of nursing for example you could still make it sound like relevant experience for another branch. For example you've said you're interested in mental health nursing, you go get some experience but then decide you want to do adult nursing. You could still apply the experience gained from a mental health environment, people with mental illnesses get sick and have to go hospital, a lot of the communication skills used in MH are really effective in other areas of healthcare, such as distraction therapy, dealing with anxiety and so on.
jessicalucy
Rep:
?
If you were to get experience in one area of nursing for example you could still make it sound like relevant experience for another branch. For example you've said you're interested in mental health nursing, you go get some experience but then decide you want to do adult nursing. You could still apply the experience gained from a mental health environment, people with mental illnesses get sick and have to go hospital, a lot of the communication skills used in MH are really effective in other areas of healthcare, such as distraction therapy, dealing with anxiety and so on.
Ahh I see! Thank you (: I think I'd be more interested in the mental health nursing than the midwifery side of things, now that my eyes have been opened up to it a bit! Do you get a bursary or something from the NHS for a PGDip course in mental health nursing then? One of the things that put me off a Masters degree is that you don't get a student loan.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ahh I see! Thank you (: I think I'd be more interested in the mental health nursing than the midwifery side of things, now that my eyes have been opened up to it a bit! Do you get a bursary or something from the NHS for a PGDip course in mental health nursing then? One of the things that put me off a Masters degree is that you don't get a student loan.
I believe it still gets a bursary at the moment. Have a look in the nursing and midwifery section of TSR, there's loads of discussions there about it
jessicalucy
Rep:
?
I believe it still gets a bursary at the moment. Have a look in the nursing and midwifery section of TSR, there's loads of discussions there about it
Will do! Thank you very much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.82%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
62.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads