caraaaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm really stuck on which uni to go to, my hardest offer is from Birmingham, then Bristol, and my easiest is from Exeter and I need to pick a firm and insurance today! I'm going to study Maths but any general advice on the unis themselves would be much appreciated
Charlzi
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I had a similar thing, with Bath, Birmingham and Bristol. I knew from the beginning I would not want to go to birmingham. Whilst I loved Bath, I decided to go for Bristol due to the much easier offer and better location.
caraaaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Charlzi)
I had a similar thing, with Bath, Birmingham and Bristol. I knew from the beginning I would not want to go to birmingham. Whilst I loved Bath, I decided to go for Bristol due to the much easier offer and better location.
May I ask why you didn't choose Birmingham and what you are studying? Also do you think there'll be much of an issue being underage when I start if I were to go to Bristol?
Junglee
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I go to Birmingham but study something else.

Is Birmingham better for Maths then Bristol and Exeter?

All 3 unis are pretty rah'y, though.
caraaaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Junglee)
I go to Birmingham but study something else.

Is Birmingham better for Maths then Bristol and Exeter?

All 3 unis are pretty rah'y, though.
To be honest I think they're all pretty good, Birmingham's 4th for maths in the Guardian but then like 20th in the Times so it's hard to tell, although overall Bristol seems to be coming out on top in terms of league tables.

What do you think of Birmingham, both as a uni and a city? I'm going to be underage for half of first year so I wasn't sure how difficult that would be given that it seems quite clubby?
Junglee
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yeah it's pretty clubby, good for fresher year tbh. Locals are pretty rough though so stick to student nights! I've visited both Exeter and Bristol many times to see friends. What are you after really? I'd be able to help you more if I knew that.

Super clubs / different variety = Birmingham
Knowing everyone inside the club / less types of nights = Exeter

City - not great, the venice equivalent though...no-one really ventures out of Selly Oak and Edgbaston.
Charlzi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by caraaaaa)
May I ask why you didn't choose Birmingham and what you are studying? Also do you think there'll be much of an issue being underage when I start if I were to go to Bristol?
Dont like the city, dont like the university, just never gave me any wow feeling at all
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by caraaaaa)
To be honest I think they're all pretty good, Birmingham's 4th for maths in the Guardian but then like 20th in the Times so it's hard to tell, although overall Bristol seems to be coming out on top in terms of league tables.

What do you think of Birmingham, both as a uni and a city? I'm going to be underage for half of first year so I wasn't sure how difficult that would be given that it seems quite clubby?
You shouldn't really base your decisions on league tables; these rankings change every year and to be honest, the difference in prestige/reputation of these three is so negligible that you're better off going somewhere you think you'd have a fantastic time - remember this is 3/4 years of your life! Though I must say, overall Bristol is slightly more prestigious than both
I think you have a slight upper-hand if you go for Bristol, there are specific residences that only under 18s can be put in so you're guaranteed to be not put in the crappier places and they're some of the better ones out there (search up the Hawthorns and Goldney Hall)
theos1
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
1.bristol
2.exeter
3.birmingham
caraaaaa
Rep:
(Original post by Junglee)
Yeah it's pretty clubby, good for fresher year tbh. Locals are pretty rough though so stick to student nights! I've visited both Exeter and Bristol many times to see friends. What are you after really? I'd be able to help you more if I knew that.

Super clubs / different variety = Birmingham
Knowing everyone inside the club / less types of nights = Exeter

City - not great, the venice equivalent though...no-one really ventures out of Selly Oak and Edgbaston.
I come from Edinburgh so I'm used to living in a city (granted nowhere near as big as Birmingham) and really enjoy always having things on so if anything Exeter would be my insurance as I found it quite small. I'm just concerned that because Birmingham's so great for clubs fresher's might be a bit difficult as a 17 year old... Also their conditions are quite tough so I'd have to accept them as a firm or nothing.
RATKING
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Hello,

I am just about to choose a firm and insurance university (has to be done before midnight tonight). Bristol is one of my offers, however it is the lowest (AAB) for Maths and Physics. I want to know whether graduating from Bristol with a 1st or 2.1 would allow me to pursue my studies/ career in Maths/ Physics at Oxbridge or even American universities.

Any examples would be much appreciated.

Thank you
RATKING
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Bristol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (94)
20.13%
The paper was reasonable (179)
38.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.48%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.06%

Watched Threads