The Student Room Group

Question about finance for mature students and how it works.

Hi guys, I am starting an Access course in September and planning to start University next year. I just have a few questions about the finances when I get to Uni.

I will be 29 when I start Uni, I have a low income and planning to scrape by when I do the access course, just wondering how much roughly I can get when I am at Uni? Also how do the payments work on average?

Just trying to figure out how much I will have to live on per month on average throughout the year.

Any help would be great thanks, I know it can vary so just looking at a rough figure if anyone can help :smile:
Reply 1
There's a useful calculator to get an estimate for uni Student Finance entitlement, here:

http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153%2C4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

If you'll be leaving full-time employment to go to uni full-time, then your entitlement will be calculated on zero income (unless you have other forms of household income, such as an earning live-in partner, income from rent, interest from savings etc). This will give you the maximum Maintenance Loan/Grant combination.
Well, I'm 25 and only work a few hours a week in a pub so I'm counted as a low earner too. When I start uni in September, I will get around £7500 for the year with the maintenance loan and grant combined.

And because I am going to MMU and living in uni halls, I will get £3000 knocked off my rent for the year meaning I'm better off at uni than I would be at home! :smile:
Reply 3
hi just wondering if anyone had heard anything from student finance i checked my online account and it says they sent me a letter on he 29/04/2014 but i still have not recieved it wondered if anyone else had this problem to
Original post by kimd12
hi just wondering if anyone had heard anything from student finance i checked my online account and it says they sent me a letter on he 29/04/2014 but i still have not recieved it wondered if anyone else had this problem to

My letter arrived pretty quickly after I sent off my application. I would contact them and ask them to send you another copy, as it would be best to sort out any potential problems as soon as you can.
Reply 5
Original post by HarleyH
Hi guys, I am starting an Access course in September and planning to start University next year. I just have a few questions about the finances when I get to Uni.

I will be 29 when I start Uni, I have a low income and planning to scrape by when I do the access course, just wondering how much roughly I can get when I am at Uni? Also how do the payments work on average?

Just trying to figure out how much I will have to live on per month on average throughout the year.

Any help would be great thanks, I know it can vary so just looking at a rough figure if anyone can help :smile:

Hi, I am also a mature student on a low income and altogether I'll be getting £7699.00 in 3 separate payments, first on my start date, then one in the beginning on Jan and then the last one in the beginning of April

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending