The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

who studies OU FULL TIME???

hi guys, I'm about to start psychology in OU as a full-timer has anyone had experience(not suggestions) in studying anything at OU FULL TIME? thanks xx
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I work full
Time and have been studying OU full time at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I am studying this year and next year full time. If you have specific questions I don't mind answering them :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kjglen24
I work full
Time and have been studying OU full time at the same time

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow, respect!!!! ad how is it going?
Reply 4
Original post by HJ M
I am studying this year and next year full time. If you have specific questions I don't mind answering them :smile:

What specifically do you study? How do you like materials and support? And is really that scary to study full-time? As they don't really encourage that.

Thanks for your time to answer :smile:)))
Reply 5
Original post by darwinder
I am currently studying full time towards a Bsc(Hons) Natural Sciences + work about 25-30 hours a week! Its a grind, but just 2 more years and then off to a brick uni for masters!

So is it really hard to work and study full time at the same time?
How do we define full tine study with the OU? I did my Master's in less than the recommended time as I did both of the taught modules (2 × 60 credits) at the same time and it was perfectly manageable whilst working full time. I would imagine the workload might vary wildly by course though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Currently studying 60 credits whilst working full time.

Finding it more than manageable to be honest, I don't know where the figure of 16 hours a week came from for studying 60 credits, I average around half of that so far and have handed in all TMAs well ahead of time and am also ahead of the recommended study timeline.

I am seriously thinking about enrolling for 120 credits for the next lot of modules (October start), whilst retaining my full time job. If anything, I want to find out if they allow people to take more than 120 credits in one year. Ideally I want to be able to start applying for an MSc at a brick uni for 2016 entry, but even doing the next two years at 120 credits per year will leave me 60 credits short of completing my degree in time. I'm going to email my tutor and ask about the possibility of taking on 150 or even 180 credits in October.
Original post by marcipanas
wow, respect!!!! ad how is it going?

It's hard going but I'm in my final year now and almost finished that... Had all distinctions so far so I'm doing ok :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tiny tiger

Finding it more than manageable to be honest, I don't know where the figure of 16 hours a week came from for studying 60 credits, I average around half of that so far and have handed in all TMAs well ahead of time and am also ahead of the recommended study timeline.

I am seriously thinking about enrolling for 120 credits for the next lot of modules (October start), whilst retaining my full time job. If anything, I want to find out if they allow people to take more than 120 credits in one year. Ideally I want to be able to start applying for an MSc at a brick uni for 2016 entry, but even doing the next two years at 120 credits per year will leave me 60 credits short of completing my degree in time. I'm going to email my tutor and ask about the possibility of taking on 150 or even 180 credits in October.

You can't take more than 120 per year, unless you have a solid reason (just wanting to doesn't count)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thanks for info guys, I feel so much relieved now as I have read in their website and consulted a girl as well. Both stated it's almost impossible to study full-time as you need at least 32 hours a week etc... anyways, thank you again,. I've made my choice and I'm going to register! :smile:)))))
Original post by kjglen24
You can't take more than 120 per year, unless you have a solid reason (just wanting to doesn't count)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's also an issue that's been raised with the OU moving their academic year in line with brick unis yet some modules still running on older schedules and the law stating that the OU can't charge you more than £6ksomething in an academic year (regardless of how it's paid for i.e. loan,own pocket, sponsors etc..) which is the equivalent of 150 credits I think. So this means that you cannot do a Feb-Sept 60 points immediately followed by 120 points in October. That's not even doing more than 120 at the same time but it does mean being charged more than the ££ allowed which is a figure the gov have set. Full threads on OUSA forums http://learn1.open.ac.uk/mod/forumng/discuss.php?d=47932&expand=1&timeread=1399064623
Original post by tiny tiger

Bear in mind though that there is usually a leap from L2 to L3 modules and with my modules for maths and comp sci they have taken more time than anticipated when I thought L2 was a walk in the park in comparison. Not all subjects are going to be the same though and depends on the person but personally I've done some L3 modules that people have thought (so not just me!) are more like 60pointers in their workload or had concepts that are difficult to grasp immediately and take more time (especially when I'm not entirely sure the people who write some of the text books are able to write clear English....:s-smilie:) Also you have to think of how it fits in with your life too as if something unexpected comes up then it can impact your modules and as L3 are used for the classification you have to think of what's best for you, e.g. getting it done faster or take a bit longer but with chance of better grades . Not putting you off but if you think you can do it go ahead but just want to make sure you are aware of issues I've come across whilst doing it. You have to be really committed. Also more modules at the same time means more deadlines are likely to be together and exams in the same week and that can be stressful if you have to work and cram for multiple exams at the same time. I personally always preferred to try stagger my modules best I can but some of that's been phased out with the shift to the traditional academic year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Great thread. I was planning on doing Stage 1 over 2 years but after reading some of these comments I am considering re-applying for finance and doing 120 credits in one year.

I work 40 hours a week but I have a lot of free time in the evenings and on a Sunday. I think it's do-able if the determination is there.
Original post by gareththejack
Great thread. I was planning on doing Stage 1 over 2 years but after reading some of these comments I am considering re-applying for finance and doing 120 credits in one year.

I work 40 hours a week but I have a lot of free time in the evenings and on a Sunday. I think it's do-able if the determination is there.

Level 1 is probably the 'easiest' to do full time as it's designed to bring everyone up to scratch, so to get people with no prior education (GCSEs, Alevels etc..) all to the same standard before moving on to Level 2. So it could seem simple to some people as it's starting off assuming no prior experience really.
Original post by laalNick
Level 1 is probably the 'easiest' to do full time as it's designed to bring everyone up to scratch, so to get people with no prior education (GCSEs, Alevels etc..) all to the same standard before moving on to Level 2. So it could seem simple to some people as it's starting off assuming no prior experience really.

Thanks for the insight.

How about Level 2 and 3? Have you heard of people doing 120 credits a year? How did they find it?
Reply 16
I'm going full time work and study.

Currently at Level 1, and due to complete all presentations by October, two finishing within the next two months as the EMA is due this month.

Level 2 pertains to subjects I interact with in a daily basis.
Original post by gareththejack
Thanks for the insight.

How about Level 2 and 3? Have you heard of people doing 120 credits a year? How did they find it?

I work full time also study full time I am currently at level 3... What you want to know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I'm going to be starting a bsc mathematics degree with the ou in october 2014. I want to do 120 credits while working full time. Should I sign up for 60 first or go with 120 straight away?
Original post by muj121
I'm going to be starting a bsc mathematics degree with the ou in october 2014. I want to do 120 credits while working full time. Should I sign up for 60 first or go with 120 straight away?

Depends.. Have you got a lot of spare time? Any maths prior knowledge such as a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest