Queen's University Belfast SU vote to ban the sale of poppies

Watch
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27303914

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...ends#idc-cover

"A motion proposing a ban on the sale of poppies within the Students' Union at Queen's University will come before the university's student council later.

The council comprises about 100 students from across different faculties and years of study.

The motion noted that the poppy appeal "is a politically charged and necessarily divisive initiative, given the nature of local politics".

It added that the students' union was an inclusive and neutral space.

"Therefore (the students' union) must offer a politically neutral environment regarding issues of the past to avoid offence and a sense of exclusion," it said.

The annual poppy appeal is organised by the Royal British Legion, a charity which raises funds for armed forces and their families."

---

As a student at QUB I'm pretty disgusted by this even being brought forward. People from both sides of the community died for our today, so I can't even attempt to understand this ridiculous motion. I feel nothing but shame and embarrassment regarding this.

Discuss.

EDIT: VOTED AGAINST!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...-30254369.html
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I want to know what sort of idiot thinks that a poppy is somehow a political symbol. It's a symbol of respect which goes beyond politics.
username197472
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
I don't want to mention the demographic of QUB

I think it is highly insensitive for them to stop selling poppies. Will the desecration of the statue in front be the next move?
baggins412
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Funny,,,Im sitting here watching battle of Kursk between the Russians and the Germans..It was the biggest and probably most decisive battle of ww2.It demonstrates however the forces the allies were faced with,Ordinary men from all over the world including all of Ireland and including my father in the RAF.So now its somehow ok ,,,enough time it seems has passed to forget these men that fought not against gutless terrorist or assassins but the might of the axis powers...Maybe they should stop selling them in the SU,These men would not wish to be remembered in a place such as this.
Bethaaaaany
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Absolutely ridiculous...I had no idea that the view was that poppies were representative of one political side.

I completely agree with striving to ensure Northern Ireland is a place which is equal for both Protestants, Catholics & others... but banning the selling of a poppy which shows respect not only for fallen British soldiers but soldiers around the world in case of "offending someone" is just like going back in time.

I am someone who spends a lot of time around the QUB campus as my dad is student, and it is lovely, inclusive and multi-cultural...but today I've lost a little bit of respect for the S.U.
snailsareslimy
Rep:
(Original post by RFowler)
I want to know what sort of idiot thinks that a poppy is somehow a political symbol. It's a symbol of respect which goes beyond politics.
The motion was brought forward by a 'student and Sinn Fein activist'. Take from that what you will. The vote has already gathered a lot of controversy here, I'll update the thread once I know if it was voted down or not.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27303914

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...ends#idc-cover

"A motion proposing a ban on the sale of poppies within the Students' Union at Queen's University will come before the university's student council later.

The council comprises about 100 students from across different faculties and years of study.

The motion noted that the poppy appeal "is a politically charged and necessarily divisive initiative, given the nature of local politics".

It added that the students' union was an inclusive and neutral space.

"Therefore (the students' union) must offer a politically neutral environment regarding issues of the past to avoid offence and a sense of exclusion," it said.

The annual poppy appeal is organised by the Royal British Legion, a charity which raises funds for armed forces and their families."

---

As a student at QUB I'm pretty disgusted by this even being brought forward. People from both sides of the community died for our today, so I can't even attempt to understand this ridiculous motion. I feel nothing but shame and embarrassment regarding this.

Discuss.
Student unions.

Where middle class failures eek out one more year before they have to pay their own way.

49,500 Irishmen have their lives in WW1

3,600 Irishmen died in WW2.
MostUncivilised
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
This is typical, bolshy student behaviour, don't get too worked up over it.
bottled
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
oh boy...
it's blurred lines again
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
The motion was brought forward by a 'student and Sinn Fein activist'. Take from that what you will. The vote has already gathered a lot of controversy here, I'll update the thread once I know if it was voted down or not.
From the BBC website:

A motion proposing a ban on the sale of poppies within the Students' Union at Queen's University has been defeated.

The university's student council, that comprises about 100 students from across different faculties and years of study, debated the motion on Wednesday.

It was defeated by 40 votes to 15.
flugelr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Last year the Republic of Ireland officially apologised to the Irishmen who left to fight in British uniform in WW2 and were discriminated against when they came home.

Why are these idiots so desperate to wind the clock back?

Margaret Ritchie managed to wear a poppy in 2010 while leader of the SDLP and as far as I'm aware she didn't suddenly become a unionist the moment the poppy touched her coat.
snailsareslimy
Rep:
(Original post by Drewski)
From the BBC website:

A motion proposing a ban on the sale of poppies within the Students' Union at Queen's University has been defeated.

The university's student council, that comprises about 100 students from across different faculties and years of study, debated the motion on Wednesday.

It was defeated by 40 votes to 15.
I just saw on Facebook, I'm so pleased

(Original post by flugelr)
Last year the Republic of Ireland officially apologised to the Irishmen who left to fight in British uniform in WW2 and were discriminated against when they came home.

Why are these idiots so desperate to wind the clock back?

Margaret Ritchie managed to wear a poppy in 2010 while leader of the SDLP and as far as I'm aware she didn't suddenly become a unionist the moment the poppy touched her coat.
I really don't understand it, tbh. It's a simple matter of respect; respect for everyone who paid with their lives for our freedom. Religious background, ethnicity etc just doesn't come into it. Very glad it's been defeated, anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.61%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.52%
Finding the time to revise (6)
9.09%
Finding the motivation (14)
21.21%
Getting distracted (12)
18.18%
Procrastination (26)
39.39%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads