Do you think gay couples should be allowed to adopt children?

Watch
Poll: Do you think gay couples should be allowed to adopt children?
No (95)
18.89%
Yes (378)
75.15%
As a last resort (30)
5.96%
This discussion is closed.
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Following the controversy on this thread, I was left wondering what the general TSR view of gay couples adopting children are?

If not, why not?

Discuss .
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ILovePancakes)
Following the controversy on this thread, I was left wondering what the general TSR view of gay couples adopting children are?

If not, why not?

Discuss .
Yeah of course they should. Only a fool would say that two loving parents shouldn't be able to offer a child a good home.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Absolutely.

People try to justify their homophobia but making up all sorts of excuses - but I'm yet to hear even one argument that convincingly suggests that gay couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt children.
Georgie_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well of course they should, what were the general arguments against it out of interest?

If not, why not?

Discuss .
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by Georgie_M)
Well of course they should, what were the general arguments against it out of interest?
Mostly that it goes against religious views and the idea that children need a mother and father figure.

One person came out with the particularly interesting concept that homosexuality is comparable to bestiality and necrophillia (:lolwut:).
James222
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I dont sorry
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mostly that it goes against religious views and the idea that children need a mother and father figure.

One person came out with the particularly interesting concept that homosexuality is comparable to bestiality and necrophillia (:lolwut:).
(Original post by Georgie_M)
The same person who said that also said it was as equally 'abhorrent' as murder... :facepalm:
wat a wizard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope.
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by James222)
I dont sorry
(Original post by wat a wizard)
Nope.
Why?
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't know why this is even still up for debate, of course they should.
Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd rather be raised by people that love me and want me than just be a name and number in a care home. Couldn't give a toss what gender they both are.
pinkbullets
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There's absolutely no reason why gay parents shouldn't be just as good at parenting as any other couple.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ye so we can stop aborting so many kids.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone who says otherwise has no experience of the care system....
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, there's always one of those.
chicforever_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My problem isn't the parents themselves because I'm sure they'd do an equal if not better job than most heterosexual couples but it's more of a concern for the kids when their growing up.

In this day and age, there's still a problem with homophobia and it's more of how the children will be judged/affected by their parents sexual orientation as opposed to how their being brought up. Not to say this is the fault of the parents but rather people's judgement on it.
IFoundWonderland
Rep:
?
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Yeah, there's always one of those.
Yup, unfortunately... It was a strange argument to say the least :facepalm:
Olie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
At first when I heard of this, I was apprehensive I admit, thoughts of the child being bullied at school and possibility of the lack of a father and mother figure having a detrimental effect on the child. But since then, I've heard absolutely no evidence to suggest that was the case and if anything some studies say they may make better parents than straight couples, so yeah I don't see a problem with it and I think anyone who does should look beyond their homophobia and look at the wider picture and consider the other side of the debate.
TurboCretin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a feeling most gay couples would make better parents than heterosexual ones.
alicja_p
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the US there are more gay couples willing to adopt than there are children waiting to be adopted. They need to get their **** together.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (39)
14.5%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (87)
32.34%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (33)
12.27%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.55%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.2%
I think it's an unfair expectation (70)
26.02%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.12%

Watched Threads