The Student Room Group

Copper (II) Sulphate is added to Sodium Carbonate

Copper (II) Sulphate is added to Sodium Carbonate. Blue precipitate forms. What is the name of the blue precipitate?

It was a question in my IGCSE exam today and I realised we've never learnt what forms (we only learnt that blue precipitate forms but not the name) so I just guessed it and wrote Copper (II) Carbonate but I don't know if it's true.

So what really forms?
Reply 1
You have yourself a mark.

Then again, the actual answer is, as it often is in chemistry, more complex. Na2CO3 is alkaline, so there will be OH- ions present, so you in fact get Cu2(OH)2CO3 forming.
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
You have yourself a mark.

Then again, the actual answer is, as it often is in chemistry, more complex. Na2CO3 is alkaline, so there will be OH- ions present, so you in fact get Cu2(OH)2CO3 forming.

OMG YES I thought I got everything wrong in question 2 *phew* I'm so desperate to get A* in the science exam because I wish to pursue chemistry or physics in the future so..I was about to cry :frown:

Well how do you read the Cu2(OH)2CO3 thing?...nvm I searched up and it says Copper basic carbonate....never heard of it.
Uh I really hope we are not meant to know that at GCSE
Reply 3
As you found - it is basic carbonate. To make things more difficult it often doesn't have well defined composition, it is more like a family of compounds, with differing ratios of copper hydroxide and copper carbonate, plus different stages of hydration.

Quick Reply

Latest