Why don't we go back to the monarchy succession rules prior to 1066?

Watch
yourFuture
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Before the Norman invasion the successor to the throne was decided by a selection rather than simply by bloodline. Should we go back to this?
Joeman560
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No point.
yourFuture
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Joeman560)
No point.
No point in painting your walls, no point in not bringing back slavery, no point in going to the north pole, no point in landing on the moon etc
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The 'election' aspect of Anglo-Saxon succession was really just the Witan officially confirming the legitimacy of the new king. It was only a formality; succession was still decided by bloodline in practice.
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Succession was never by selection it was normally hereditary unless someone overthrew or defeated the King: From the 880's to 1066 all the kings were related and it was hereditiary except for when Cnut usurped the thrones

Alfred the great-edward the elder-Aelweard-Aethelstan-Edmund I-Eadred-eadwig-edgar the peaceful-edward the matyr-aethelred the unready-edmund ironside
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Selection by the Witan in practice was choosing among members of the royal family, and even then it tended to favour the most senior in succession to the late king.
carlisomes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't get why it matters. I accept that women can know officially be recognised and not by default, but since the sovereign is a constitutional one, I don't get why it's of consequence.
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the monarch doesnt really do a lot so it doesnt really matter who becomes monarch
Joeman560
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yourFuture)
No point in painting your walls, no point in not bringing back slavery, no point in going to the north pole, no point in landing on the moon etc
What a daft response, think before you post please.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe it should be decided by a jousting knockout tournament or some kind of brutal (and dangerous) competition which is televised where there is a really chance of death, like the Triwizard tournament in Harry Potter.
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by yourFuture)
Before the Norman invasion the successor to the throne was decided by a selection rather than simply by bloodline. Should we go back to this?
systems like that were in use https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_elections_in_Poland already, they aren't really good.
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It doesn't really matter considering the monarchy has no power. We could elect a dog and it would have no impact on our lives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (343)
55.86%
I don't have everything I need (271)
44.14%

Watched Threads