Oxford Union President arrested on suspicion of rape.

Watch
AmyAintDead
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://news.sky.com/story/1257107/ox...sted-over-rape

Just discovered this story, which will no doubt and spark much debate and shock. This yet again brings up the idea that women are very likely to be raped or sexually assaulted in university, which is surprising and rather terrifying.

What are your thoughts?
MostUncivilised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My thoughts are he is innocent until proven guilty.

My second thought is that he hasn't even been charged yet, he should have been afforded anonymity
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)

My second thought is that he hasn't even been charged yet, he should have been afforded anonymity
Agreed.
Commercial Paper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Agree also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thunder_chunky
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Agreed on both counts.
MrKappa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
inb4 angry feminists show up and call everyone in this thread a rape-apologist.
Eshra12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AmyAintDead)

Just discovered this story, which will no doubt and spark much debate and shock. This yet again brings up the idea that women are very likely to be raped or sexually assaulted in university, which is surprising and rather terrifying.

What are your thoughts?
I am shocked at how this is broadcasted all over the world. What if the person is innocent, and someone is launching a malicious smear campaign against him?
aworldalone
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quite shocking this information is so readily available. Unfortunately this allegation is going to shadow him for the rest of his life, even if he's innocent.
Asciant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AmyAintDead)

What are your thoughts?
What happened to innocent till proven guilty? His name shouldn't be released, if this is false then these allegations will tarnish him for the rest of his life.
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definitely should've remained anonymous, (in my own opinion) until he was found guilty by a jury. Did anyone see Freddie Starr on the news yesterday? He could hardly stand without shaking like a leaf, he didn't say a word. Admittedly, it may have been exaggerated, but this is the effect false rape accusations have on very innocent people. As mentioned above, its a joke how the victim can stay anonymous but the accused (but not proven guilty) cannot.
AmyAintDead
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I do agree with the posts here regarding innocent 'til proven guilty, and he should have been kept annonymous. But no doubt whether this allegation is true or not, this is a very serious allegation which will make many people ponder about what is to come from this arrest. I'm going to be watching this case closely, I think.
username457532
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if he's raped lots of people and they're all afraid they won't be believed. This (potentially) gives them the chance to come forward. Yes it's innocent until proven guilty but there are far more rapes than false rape allegations.
Fango_Jett
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
What if he's raped lots of people and they're all afraid they won't be believed. This (potentially) gives them the chance to come forward. Yes it's innocent until proven guilty but there are far more rapes than false rape allegations.
Yes, but even so it's stupid to name and shame him for it. It could potentially be disastrous for his career. Any future employer could simply google his name and find this article. Regardless of whether it is true or not, it is a huge blight on someone's record.

It is absolutely idiotic to name and publicise people on the assumption that other people "could" have been sexually assaulted and "might" come forward.

Name and publicise both the accused and alleged victim or none at all.
CEKTOP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oxford is a place that breeds class hatred, racism and incompetence. The British ruling class is the clearest illustration of this.
CEKTOP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Anonymity won't help him.

http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2014/04/29/u...l-legal-costs/
CEKTOP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
Yes, but even so it's stupid to name and shame him for it. It could potentially be disastrous for his career. Any future employer could simply google his name and find this article. Regardless of whether it is true or not, it is a huge blight on someone's record.

It is absolutely idiotic to name and publicise people on the assumption that other people "could" have been sexually assaulted and "might" come forward.

Name and publicise both the accused and alleged victim or none at all.
He's already covered in grime head to toe.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A rape charge is as damning as a conviction. No matter if he's found guilty, the accusation sticks like ****.
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Eshra12)
I am shocked at how this is broadcasted all over the world. What if the person is innocent, and someone is launching a malicious smear campaign against him?
Then it's working.
justanotherposter
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Absolutely shocking the media is allowed to report on someone that hasn't been found guilty, so many times the media hounds murder suspects and when they are found innocent little is given in the way of apology, no matter what the verdict is naming people before trial is disgraceful.

Also in response to your point OP, this is one incident why should that mean women don't feel safe? People get murdered everyday do you feel in danger of being murdered?
ArtGoblin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It does seem premature to release his name if he hasn't been charged yet. However, anonymity until proven guilty isn't feasible as it would prevent police conducting their investigation. An open justice system is also necessary to protect the accused - do we really want justice to be carried out behind closed doors without any outside scrutiny? I am also not sure about the claims that false rape accusations always stick - the public response to the recent string of high profile not guilty sexual offence trials has been sympathy with the accused.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (69)
18.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (108)
28.42%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (143)
37.63%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
12.63%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.16%

Watched Threads