The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Physical Geography (13th May)

hi, I'm currently really struggling with my geography revision. The physical topics i'm doing are: Restless Earth, Rocks Resources and Scenery, and Ice on the Land. Does anyone have any case studies or any revision material? thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ooooh hi me too! Are you doing aqa a? I'm doing restless earth, ice on land and water on land :smile:
Just use the CPG revision guide, it has everything.
I'm doing Restless Earth, Ice on the Land and The Coastal Zone.
Hmm, the cgp guide isn't that good. Use the phillip allan one or use the aqa endorsed textbook. The CGP guides don't explain things that well and although some of the case studies are good, some aren't that good.
What case studies are you guys doing for Restless Earth?
I'm doing The Living World (my least favourite), Coastal Zone and Ice on Land. I know the case studies apart from the deserts: forgot about revising Thar desert case study and the desert itself (plants, soil etc.)
Reply 6
Original post by strawberrysnow
Ooooh hi me too! Are you doing aqa a? I'm doing restless earth, ice on land and water on land :smile:

yeahhh same i'm doing AQA A, not looking forward to it :eek:
Reply 7
Original post by WillWalker23
I'm doing Restless Earth, Ice on the Land and The Coastal Zone.
Hmm, the cgp guide isn't that good. Use the phillip allan one or use the aqa endorsed textbook. The CGP guides don't explain things that well and although some of the case studies are good, some aren't that good.

yeahh i thought that about the cgp guide too, thanks alot i'll have a look at them! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Radical Lemon
What case studies are you guys doing for Restless Earth?

i'm doing the Alps, Montserrat, Haiti, L'Aquila and Japanese Tsunami u?
Reply 9
Original post by lawrencefrape1
I'm doing The Living World (my least favourite), Coastal Zone and Ice on Land. I know the case studies apart from the deserts: forgot about revising Thar desert case study and the desert itself (plants, soil etc.)

good luck!!!
Original post by Mikey448
good luck!!!
Thanks, you too!
Just remember to try and get all of the information you have learnt into the 8 mark questions and ensure you get 3 for SPaG.
Also be prepared for the graph questions.

Key things:

Water
Transport:
- Traction - Boulder roll along the bottom of the river bed
- Saltation - Boulders bounce alone the bottom hitting other rocks
- Suspension - Material light enough to be carried by current
- Solution - Material dissolved in water

Erosion:
- Hydraulic action - The sheer force of the water, it involves air being trapped in rocks and then cracking
- Corrosion - Chemical reaction between acidic water and rocks
- Abrasion - River using its load to bash against the river bed and banks causing scratches
- Attrition - Boulders that bang into each other and knock bits off

Ice
Movement:
- Rotational slip
- Basal slip

Deposition:
- Till - Made from boulders and clay
- Drumlins - Small hummocks made from till

Erosion:
- Plucking - Ice freeze on a rock and is then ripped out
- Abrasion - rocks grinding on the valley sides and floor
- Freeze thaw weathering - Water entering cracks, freezing and expanding causing the rock to crack

Features of erosion:
- Corrie
- Arete
- Pyramidal peak
- Glacial trough
- Hanging valley

You'll need to know how these landforms are formed.

+How did everyone get on in the coursework?
i'm doing the Alps, Montserrat, Haiti, L'Aquila and Japanese Tsunami u?

I'm also doing Montserrat along with Kashmir, Kobe, Indian ocean Tsunami and Chamonix for ice on the land
Reply 13
Just remember to try and get all of the information you have learnt into the 8 mark questions and ensure you get 3 for SPaG.
Also be prepared for the graph questions.

Key things:

Water
Transport:
- Traction - Boulder roll along the bottom of the river bed
- Saltation - Boulders bounce alone the bottom hitting other rocks
- Suspension - Material light enough to be carried by current
- Solution - Material dissolved in water

Erosion:
- Hydraulic action - The sheer force of the water, it involves air being trapped in rocks and then cracking
- Corrosion - Chemical reaction between acidic water and rocks
- Abrasion - River using its load to bash against the river bed and banks causing scratches
- Attrition - Boulders that bang into each other and knock bits off

Ice
Movement:
- Rotational slip
- Basal slip

Deposition:
- Till - Made from boulders and clay
- Drumlins - Small hummocks made from till

Erosion:
- Plucking - Ice freeze on a rock and is then ripped out
- Abrasion - rocks grinding on the valley sides and floor
- Freeze thaw weathering - Water entering cracks, freezing and expanding causing the rock to crack

Features of erosion:
- Corrie
- Arete
- Pyramidal peak
- Glacial trough
- Hanging valley

You'll need to know how these landforms are formed.

thank you so much found that reallly helpful!! :biggrin: i was actually surprised with what i got in the courswork, 56/60, you?
Reply 14
I'm also doing Montserrat along with Kashmir, Kobe, Indian ocean Tsunami and Chamonix for ice on the land

ahhh I considered doing a couple of those but decided to just stick with what i was doing in class :P good luck!!
thank you so much found that reallly helpful!! :biggrin: i was actually surprised with what i got in the courswork, 56/60, you?

How do you know what you got in the coursework?

We didn't have coursework but we had a controlled assessment (not sure if they're the same!) but I somehow managed to get 60/60- very pleased! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by strawberrysnow
We didn't have coursework but we had a controlled assessment (not sure if they're the same!) but I somehow managed to get 60/60- very pleased! :smile:

Hi there, new to this thread!

Have you been allowed to get your coursework mark back? We have only been given a preliminary grade for our coursework, but not the actual mark because of the moderation that goes on etc.
Original post by edog300
Hi there, new to this thread!

Have you been allowed to get your coursework mark back? We have only been given a preliminary grade for our coursework, but not the actual mark because of the moderation that goes on etc.

Well it hasn't been moderated yet, but that's the mark our teacher gave us for the mocks (because they took into consideration the exam and the controlled assessment) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
53/60 on the coursework.

Topics: The Restless Earth, The Coastal Zone, Water On The Land

Revision Techniques: Case Studies all around my room and spamming the past papers!

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest