Report Thread starter 6 years ago
These are my IB choices (not fixed):

English Lit HL
German B HL
Economics HL
Maths HL

Chemistry SL
Physics SL

I can't choose which subject to drop down to SL so ideally I would like to do all four at HL. Are these four subjects at HL manageable (I am almost fluent in german)?
lifeisgood.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Every year some kid asks the same question: please learn to use the search bar.

The answer is yes - it is manageable. I did 4 and I got 43. But why would you do 4? It's more work for no additional credit. I would have easily cracked 44/45 if I did what everyone else was. All my universities who gave me offers gave absolute no **** about 4HLs.

FYI I was in same position as you: took B HL in a language I was near-fluent in. In that case, it's even more manageable.

Also, if you're taking HL Maths, then you may want to consider the option of dropping it halfway if it's too intense. This is assuming 1) You are aiming for 38+ and 2) You are anything except the top 5% of students worldwide.
octopauly
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why bother? Especially if HL maths is one of the choices.

At the end of the day, if you do really well anyway nobody will care that you did 4 highers nor will they rank you any differently to those who did 3 (including unis, etc), and if you do poorly because of it then you will regret your choice. There is no way you can win with 4 highers
IBNOREGRETS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't do it. HL Maths will already consume a disproportionate amount of time. Four highers are simply unnecessary, and it will decrease the likelihood of you pulling off good grades out of the IB. The fact you are already doing the IB is likely to give you an advantage for Uni applications, there is no need to go further than that!
Hannah Gardiner
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sophie243)
These are my IB choices (not fixed):

English Lit HL
German B HL
Economics HL
Maths HL

Chemistry SL
Physics SL

I can't choose which subject to drop down to SL so ideally I would like to do all four at HL. Are these four subjects at HL manageable (I am almost fluent in german)?

I was in almost exactly the same position when choosing subjects. I started grade 11 taking:
HL: maths, biology, chemistry and german B
SL: history and english lit.

I am fluent in german so that was sort of decided already- I didn't want to do standard german A because then I'd actually have to work :/ It's hard work no denying it. I ended up switching maths and english after christmas following a period of about a month out of school due to ill health. To be honest, I think you start to see whatever amount of work your doing as normal, and I definitely found it manageable, so if you, your teachers and school counsellor think you can do it, go for it and change stuff around if it doesnt work out.
Having said that, I am now studying for the final exams (this is very effective procrastination) and it is a sh*t load of work to go through the amount of material covered in every subject. Also, universities take no notice so unless there's something very specific you want to study (it was medicine for me) I'd have another think and maybe just take it easy- give yourself more free time?

Hope this helps, I would suggest finding out if there's a senior at your school taking 4 highers and talk to them (after exams of course). All the best
mickles574
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I guess it really depends on the amount of effort you're willing to put in and how committed you are towards your work in general. I was taking 3HLs at the start of the year (English A, Maths, Physics) but later on I switched from Chem SL to HL and it was quite manageable at first. However, as time progressed, i found that Math HL took up most of my time which meant that I wasn't able to focus much on my other HLs. I would say it's only worth taking 4 HLs if they're necessary. As 'lifeisgood' said, universities don't really care if you're taking 3HLs or 4 so you might as well just take 3 in order to get the maximum grades you can.

Also, I wouldn't recommend taking Maths HL unless you absolutely need it for uni. In which case, you need to work really hard right from day 1 and try to spend most of your time practicing the types of questions that come up on the exam. My school never really cared about the Maths HL group and we always got very easy stuff on the tests so we didn't think it was actually that intense. Later on though, just 2 months before our finals, we were introduced to the exam-type questions and they were monsters. Hence, if you're taking Maths HL, you'd rather not take 4 HLs and really work hard on maths right from the start.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you don't depend heavily on your teachers as they'll really be of very little help, you'll have to do most of the work yourself, especially practicing different types of questions. I made that mistake and wouldn't want anyone else to.

Good Luck!!
Joe28101
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did four highers, at it has had absolutely no effect on Uni Places at all. If you take an extra higher, its usually going to be in a subject you don't want to study at Uni, and so it'll make no sense to do it higher anyway. As well, you have a massive workload, on top of an already massive workload.

Also, maths Hl will take up enough of your time without adding another higher. I just did my maths HL exams, and you need about 10 years to revise for them if you want to get above a 5. So I wouldn't, there's really not much point, but obviously its up to you
CWR
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't do it! Completely pointless-the work load will be horrific and you don't need 4 at HL for anything to my knowledge!! I've done HL maths, chem & phys and the maths workload was the heaviest by a long way...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.57%
I'm not sure (16)
3.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (153)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.77%
I'm not a current university student (210)
46.36%

Watched Threads