HELP! I got a U 5 days before my real exam!

Watch
guglemugle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got a U in my Economics mock exam today, and there are only 5 days before my real exam. I don't know what to do I really want to do well, but I don't know if I will manage. Do you think I can still make it? Any tips for revision? I'm really depressed right now...
white walker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you're ****** mate
idelaghetto
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
learn everything and practice past papers. good luck.
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What board? AS? A2?

I'm on Edexcel AS if you need help.
Saywhatyoumean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll be fine just do focused revision and well it won't be easy but you just have to do your best

Past papers are your best friend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
guglemugle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olympiad)
What board? AS? A2?

I'm on Edexcel AS if you need help.
AQA AS
GreenArrow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you mind telling us why you got a U?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you revise? You will be fine will focused revision like Saywhatyoumean said try lots of practise questions/past papers and try not to stress yourself out too much - you'll be fine - good luck
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by guglemugle)
AQA AS
It's similar to Edexcel!
Feel free to ask me any q's you are stuck on / or topics

But rely just keep doing past papers!
TheStudent18
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a U in my Economics mock exam today, and there are only 5 days before my real exam. I don't know what to do I really want to do well, but I don't know if I will manage. Do you think I can still make it? Any tips for revision? I'm really depressed right now...
Do not panic! 5 days of revision is enough to grasp the basics of the course!

Am I right in thinking that there are multi-choice questions? (there were in my AS-Economics course!). If so just go through the multi-choice questions as many times as you can, ensure that you understand what the question is asking and why that particular answer is the correct answer.

Finally, write as many essays as you can by answering past paper questions. Write one in timed conditions and see if you can get someone to mark it for you!

Do not worry OP, its not over yet.

Good Luck.
psychopathetic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Past Papers... Seriously, they're underrated. If you know you'll get a bad mark first time, revise a small topic of the whole course. Then go through a paper and attempt only this topic. Check your answers against the mark scheme and try to improve on another paper's section. Once this topic is mostly covered, start on a new one. Gradually, once you're more confident in your answers, attempt a whole paper. Mark it, check over your answers, learn where you went wrong, and try to focus on those areas again, before attempting another paper. Keep at it over the next 5 days, and you should get a lot better.

I don't what sort of exam Economics is, but this worked really well for me in Physics AS Level, as a gradually went through Particle Physics and then Electricity, etc.

Bear in mind though, many people learn things in different ways, so whilst this worked well for me, I can't guarantee this will work for you.

Hope this helps
guglemugle
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidnightDream)
Did you revise? You will be fine will focused revision like Saywhatyoumean said try lots of practise questions/past papers and try not to stress yourself out too much - you'll be fine - good luck
Thanks and yes I did revise, although I admit there is still some stuff that I don't know well/ couldn't remember, so yeah I definitely need more revision.
guglemugle
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheStudent18)

Am I right in thinking that there are multi-choice questions? (there were in my AS-Economics course!). If so just go through the multi-choice questions as many times as you can, ensure that you understand what the question is asking and why that particular answer is the correct answer.

Finally, write as many essays as you can by answering past paper questions. Write one in timed conditions and see if you can get someone to mark it for you!

Good Luck.
Thanks! Yeah, we do have multiple choice questions, which I find really confusing (especially on the macro-side) I sometimes feel like I would get more marks guessing the answers than actually trying to work them out Any tips?
cuckoo99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Maybe if you wasn't dicking about on the student room you would have a chance....

But to answer your question then it really depends on the reason you got the U. If you got the U because of silly mistakes due to poor exam technique then i think you have a chance of bumping that U to at least a C for the real exam if you do lots and lots of past papers with mark schemes on hand.

If the reason you failed was because you don't know the content then yes you are ****ed :rolleyes:.
JackB784
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As Hormonal said it is possible. Not sure about economics as I don't take it but I've crammed entire syllabuses in a few days. You'll probably have to do non-stop past papers and revision for 5 days though to do well.
newusername96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheStudent18)

Good Luck.
true, last year i was clueless on core 2 maths and in a week of work i managed to get a B (though i was taught in class but i just didnt get it)
guglemugle
Rep:
?
Thank you for the support, I have some hope. Can anyone who does economics help me on how to answer the 25 mark question? (exam technique)?
monstercable
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you for the support, I have some hope. Can anyone who does economics help me on how to answer the 25 mark question? (exam technique)?
If it makes you feel better, I left revision and everything for my unit 4 economics exam on aqa to the last 2 days and I achieved an A* so it is possible. I was achieving D's in mock exams because of the lack of effort and just concentrating on other exams. In my opinion, it's all about the evaluation in the 25 marker! Make sure you argue the points for and against and sometimes give your own opinion (remember most of economics is never solidly correct).

I wish you all the best and feel free to ask me any questions if you have any
TheStudent18
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks! Yeah, we do have multiple choice questions, which I find really confusing (especially on the macro-side) I sometimes feel like I would get more marks guessing the answers than actually trying to work them out Any tips?
Look at the mark scheme and if you don't understand why the answer is what it is, revise that topic. Then once you understand what the question and more importantly the answer means, write a paragraph or two explaining it. For example, if its about economic multipliers write a paragraph along the lines of:

"The creation of jobs in an area results in a reduction in unemployment. Furthermore, more jobs means that the average disposable income of the residents in the area is increased. This increase in disposable income means that more people can afford to spend money in local shops etc which in turn creates more jobs..."

Personally, writing paragraphs and essays allows me to consolidate my knowledge and integrate all the information that I know from different parts of the course.

What I have written above is only my advice, so it may not be the right revision style for you. Everyone has a different revision style.

But I hope this has given you a bit more confidence. Do not be put off by some of the negative comments above OP. You will be fine.

Good Luck
jjmichaeljadson
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi I am doing the same exam as you and although I've revised the whole of unit 1 twice, it's not hard at all. My best tip is to keep practising ALL multiple choice questions because that's 25 very easy marks which you can afford to drop in the 25 mark essay and still get a B. The definition is fairly straight forward, just go through all topics and write down EVERY definition that could come up and revise them, another 5 easy marks. The 8 mark is incredibly easy, if it's a comparison question just find the highest for both things that you need to compare and the lowest. If it's asking for features just find the highest and lowest. Also, make sure you include the units because marks will get knocked off if you don't. For the 12 mark use the data to help you, include a diagram and follow a chain of reasoning, for every valid reason you give, you are awarded 2 marks. Finally, in the 25 mark, if you master the multiple choice, 5, 8 and 12 marks then you can pretty much write a **** essay and still get 10 marks. If not, just remember to discuss solutions to the problem, which will always be about a case for govt. intervention, analyse how it would work, give examples and evaluate the problems with it. Find 2 or 3 alternatives and then conclude with what you think would be the best solution. I hope I have helped in some way, please let me know if I haven't made any sense at some point since I am writing this very quickly as I am on a break from revision aha. Good luck and don't stress it! Also, the other answers are quite helpful so just take on all this advice and you'll be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (165)
59.57%
I don't have everything I need (112)
40.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed