Eskyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm essentially completely failing Statistics One, this year I'm doing Further Maths which means (at my college) I do AS&A2 maths this year, the modules I'm sitting are C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/D1.

I've done several past papers for each and for the last set I did, I got 100 UMS on C1/C2, (Around) 90 UMS on C3/C4, 100 UMS on D1 but then I got 20 on S1.

I can't get my thinking right with S1, I use Binomial when I should be using geometric and my interpretation skills of what I get are generally bad; is there any advice anybodies got for doing S1? I'm starting past papers and practice practice practising all the questions, but it'd be good if there was a way to look at questions from S1 differently than you do any of the core modules?

D1 is basically memorising algorithms and a few definitions/formulae so it's absolutely fine, but I'm still revising for that.

P.S- the exams are split up into 'three blocks' if you like, with C1/C2 being together then D1/S1 and finally C3/C4 (almost the last exam of the season, 18th June), so there's a bit of time for D1/S1 revision and a lot more for C3/C4 so I'm prioritising appropriately
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Eskyy)
So I'm essentially completely failing Statistics One, this year I'm doing Further Maths which means (at my college) I do AS&A2 maths this year, the modules I'm sitting are C1/C2/C3/C4/S1/D1.

I've done several past papers for each and for the last set I did, I got 100 UMS on C1/C2, (Around) 90 UMS on C3/C4, 100 UMS on D1 but then I got 20 on S1.

I can't get my thinking right with S1, I use Binomial when I should be using geometric and my interpretation skills of what I get are generally bad; is there any advice anybodies got for doing S1? I'm starting past papers and practice practice practising all the questions, but it'd be good if there was a way to look at questions from S1 differently than you do any of the core modules?

D1 is basically memorising algorithms and a few definitions/formulae so it's absolutely fine, but I'm still revising for that.

P.S- the exams are split up into 'three blocks' if you like, with C1/C2 being together then D1/S1 and finally C3/C4 (almost the last exam of the season, 18th June), so there's a bit of time for D1/S1 revision and a lot more for C3/C4 so I'm prioritising appropriately
Well, those scores would give you an A* anyway

S1 needs you to either
Understand (this may be a step too far)
Or
Produce the same answer over and over again

So - mrs Past Papers with a good read of MS

Fine 3 similar questions, try them, check the MS
Then try another
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry mate you've got to rote learn S1. You've got to learn all the conditions for the various distributions so you can spot the common signs in exam question i.e if it states in the question that "Sally rolled a dice until she rolled a six" Thats not binomially distributed as it says her last trial is a six. A question would be on the lines of 'whats the probability she rolled a six on her third roll'.
Once you really practice S1 you realise every paper is the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eskyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by tmorrall)
Sorry mate you've got to rote learn S1. You've got to learn all the conditions for the various distributions so you can spot the common signs in exam question i.e if it states in the question that "Sally rolled a dice until she rolled a six" Thats not binomially distributed as it says her last trial is a six. A question would be on the lines of 'whats the probability she rolled a six on her third roll'.
Once you really practice S1 you realise every paper is the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been working through June 2005, and I recognised what was Binomial and which was Geometric but that didn't mean I could actually do them, I recognize that you can do geometric by 'logic' if you like, whereas you need formulae and know how for Binomial distribution; I'm hoping to get around 15~20 papers done before the exam which is in 28 days now? 4 weeks, so there's still plenty of time!
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Eskyy)
I've been working through June 2005, and I recognised what was Binomial and which was Geometric but that didn't mean I could actually do them, I recognize that you can do geometric by 'logic' if you like, whereas you need formulae and know how for Binomial distribution; I'm hoping to get around 15~20 papers done before the exam which is in 28 days now? 4 weeks, so there's still plenty of time!
Geometric is very basic probability when it comes down to it you're right. Binomial is just applying the formula at the end of the day. I was glad to get this exam over with got to say, so boring until you start doing papers.
Yeah nail that many and you'll have no worries!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (2)
28.57%
No - I have already returned home (0)
0%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (3)
42.86%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (0)
0%
No - I live at home during term anyway (2)
28.57%

Watched Threads