emmalav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi I was just wondering when you are naming an organic compounds do you always number the chain depending on the functional group and then the side chains and substituting groups after that. And i was also wondering how do you know what to put first the side chain prefix such as methly or the substituting group prefix such as chloro- etc. Is this just by alphabetical means thanks! Any help appreciated
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emmalav)
Hi I was just wondering when you are naming an organic compounds do you always number the chain depending on the functional group and then the side chains and substituting groups after that. And i was also wondering how do you know what to put first the side chain prefix such as methly or the substituting group prefix such as chloro- etc. Is this just by alphabetical means thanks! Any help appreciated
Hi there,

I'm not sure whether this should be in biology or chemistry to help you get more replies.

I'm going to hazard a guess at... chemistry.

Let me know if it needs moving again someone please! Thanks.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emmalav)
There is a very complicated hierarchy of rules as regarding functional groups and substituents that fill up hundreds of pages of the IUPAC website.

Suffice to say that at A level you usually number the carbon of a carboxylic group, amide or aldehyde as C#1.

Alkyl substituents are named alphabetically.

Halogens go before alkyl groups in the prefix.

etc ...
Sycopation
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Longest chain is the parent chain. E.g in 2-methyl-butane, the longest possible chain is 4 carbons, i.e (But)ane

side groups then come off. If there are two or more alkyl groups coming off the longest chain, then you have to name the position of each side chain e.g 2,3 dimethyl-butane.

Same for halogenoalkanes

For side groups, it comes in alphabetical order
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (21)
9.55%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.64%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.27%

Watched Threads