The Student Room Group

Year in Industry (Placement Year)

So I've just started to freak out and am a bit worried to say the least!

Due to settling in issues I did fairly poor in my first semester at Uni achieving a poor 46% on average (3rd). Now doing the maths hopefully with the exams coming up I believe that I can bump that up to a 2:2 but realistically I can't see my self doing well enough to get a 2:1 by the end of the year.

I am currently on a 4 year course with the 3rd year being a year out in industry (placement), however word around campus is that to get a placement you need to be on a 2:1 and briefly looking around online this seems to be true.

So my question when I will need to be applying for these positions. Will it be late enough to include my exam results for next January as well? (I got results back early/mid Feb this year). If I get a 2:1 in those exams can I say i'm on course for a 2:1 as my first year results don't count towards my degree or do generally they include my first year results as well?
Reply 1
You don't say what course you are doing, which would be helpful.

I did chemistry, got 59% int he first year, got a placement no issues.
I had to move unis after the third year and needed to do a second placement, my average at that time was 54%, again I got a placement.

Don't worry too much just do your best and all that.
Original post by Mr-Brightside
I am currently on a 4 year course with the 3rd year being a year out in industry (placement), however word around campus is that to get a placement you need to be on a 2:1 and briefly looking around online this seems to be true.

Not true at all! One of my friends got a 3rd in second year and had to do resits in her first year. She had absolutely no issues getting a placement :smile: She must have had about 10 interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending