This discussion is closed.
yawn1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
I have heard stories that the Cambridge locals are somewhat more belligerent and confrontational than Oxford locals. I heard that bricks are thrown at boaties on the river and students are thrust off their bicycles in mid pedal-stroke, while gowns are tugged upon while students are about town during examination time. I expect this is much to do with the influence of the deprivation of the surrounding areas...........

You're having a laugh guv - inn't yer?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The advice I received from a Cambridge student is to buy a decent second hand bike - it's cheap, as good as you're goin to need, less likely to be stolen, and less important if it is.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
The advice I received from a Cambridge student is to buy a decent second hand bike - it's cheap, as good as you're goin to need, less likely to be stolen, and less important if it is.
and theres hundreds knocking around.
J
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by yawn1)
You're having a laugh guv - inn't yer?

Ok, perhaps I was making it sound worse than it was described to me....but all those events have occured at least once
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have heard stories that the Cambridge locals are somewhat more belligerent and confrontational than Oxford locals. I heard that bricks are thrown at boaties on the river and students are thrust off their bicycles in mid pedal-stroke, while gowns are tugged upon while students are about town during examination time. I expect this is much to do with the influence of the deprivation of the surrounding areas...........
Well, we don't wear gowns for exams any more, so that one's certainly not going to happen. There were a couple of incidents of some Clare students getting beaten up earlier in the year (one was on Midsomer common at night though, which is just asking for trouble) but seems to have quietened down last term.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Well, we don't wear gowns for exams any more, so that one's certainly not going to happen. There were a couple of incidents of some Clare students getting beaten up earlier in the year (one was on Midsomer common at night though, which is just asking for trouble) but seems to have quietened down last term.

Why were Clare students singled out? How perculiar.

What is Midsomer Common? Sounds like a gay cruising spot.......
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, we don't wear gowns for exams any more
*gasp* where's the fun in that?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why were Clare students singled out? How perculiar.

What is Midsomer Common? Sounds like a gay cruising spot.......
I don't think they were singled out. Just that we got e-mails about it telling us to be careful. I dunno if other students got attacked, but the UCS is obviously more concerned about its own.

Midsomer common is not somewhere you go at night on your own.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
Midsomer common is not somewhere you go at night on your own.

Why not? Please can you elaborate.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
There was some organised crime circle that rounded up bikes in Ox, took them over to Cam and sold them to students beofre promptly nicking a load of Cam bikes and bringing them back to Ox to sell!!
That is good but very illegal business. I'd advise them to go to Holland for a field day.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A multi-storey bicycle park.
And what I can only think is a "bicycle share" machine - it was actually parked outside an office.

Photos I took in AMsterdam
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why not? Please can you elaborate.
Well to be honest, I don't really know much. We're just told to avoid it if we're on our own, esp at night. I guess it has a bad record.

Hehe, funny pics blissy! And we thought Cambridge was full of bikes
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
New Hall has a big underground place to store bikes - a definite advantage of a new college
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
New Hall has a big underground place to store bikes - a definite advantage of a new college
We have one too but I only keep mine down there in the holidays cos it's a pain in the arse to lug it down there and back up every time I want to use it.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We have one too but I only keep mine down there in the holidays cos it's a pain in the arse to lug it down there and back up every time I want to use it.
Ours is next to the porters lodge and has a little ramp, but you wouldn't know it was there if you hadn't been told. It actually looks a bit like tha Amsterdam cycle park inside...
kart
Report 15 years ago
I used to live in King's Lynn, which is pretty near Cambridge, and I've been down there myself a couple of times. If these so called "deprived areas" are places like err..Arbury or whatever it's called, its absolutely nothing compared to places up north(or down London I suppose) I'm guessing the worst part of Cambridge would be better, or at least equivalent to the best part of my town (Doncaster).
katiyakat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh man I have a nice 18th birthday present bike! Motorcycle chain lock here I come
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiyakat)
Oh man I have a nice 18th birthday present bike! Motorcycle chain lock here I come

....will you not take heed of the advice of these wise people and buy a cheap second hand one for Cambridge - preferably one that might fold away? How will you travel everywhere with a hefty motorbike chain (which will possibly be cut through at some point by a Arbury or Kings Lynn thug)?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Arbury or Kings Lynn thug

lol!

Seriously, you do need to watch your bike but the crime rates are relatively low (although students are perceived as easy targets so you do need to be careful - thieves love student accommodation). There are no real deprived areas around Cambridge - the closest scary place, at least from the northern region (where I come from) is really St Neots - that's a total hole and I recommend you never go there, but it's a fair few miles away! You get far more crime in Oxford from what I've heard, especially against students (apparently it's getting quite nasty in areas - there was a student thrown off a bridge a few months ago, not sure if anyone saw the post on here).
kart
Report 15 years ago
Umm..why not just band up and fight them all off? I mean, there's more of you than them, and I can't see any of them actualy being hard. King's Lynn, Arbury or whatever. Have I been watching matrix revolutions and The Godfather too much? I'd say so.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.54%
No (68)
11.54%
I'm not old enough (241)
40.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed