This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kart)
Umm..why not just band up and fight them all off? I mean, there's more of you than them, and I can't see any of them actualy being hard. King's Lynn, Arbury or whatever. Have I been watching matrix revolutions and The Godfather too much? I'd say so.
Well because the whole point is that they take your bike while you're not there. You can hardly fight them off if you're in a lecture while they're taking a bolt cutter to your locks.
MentallyIll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Well because the whole point is that they take your bike while you're not there. You can hardly fight them off if you're in a lecture while they're taking a bolt cutter to your locks.
I think perhaps Kart might be referring to the bullying of students. MadNatSci is right - students are perceived as easy targets.

At my school, most of the Russell Grp applicants (we didn't have any Oxbridge) tended to be the quiet, geeky, nerdy, boffin-type, non streetwise people who were prime targets for bullying. I would imagine this would be true for most other state schools. So if you accept this (I'm pretty sure you wont!), then at least half of Oxbridge is full of 'easy targets' who are used to being abused. Even if you dont accept this, those Kings Lynn, Arbury and St Neots yobs will.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by jolity)
hey does anyone know whether the areas around oxbridge unis are flat, as i may be using my skateboard as the main source of travel
It's a long way between the Oxbridge Unis - you may want to drive

back to the main post...
The first peice of advice I had when I bought a bike in Oxford was to remove all the stickers from it to draw attention away from it. I still had it when I left Oxford and sold it on....
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluffy)
It's a long way between the Oxbridge Unis - you may want to drive

back to the main post...
The first peice of advice I had when I bought a bike in Oxford was to remove all the stickers from it to draw attention away from it. I still had it when I left Oxford and sold it on....

Surely, factors that make the bike attractive to buyers (and indeed bike theives) are features like suspension, architecture and accessories. Labels on bikes are moot. One should hope that anyone with an eyesight might easily distinguish a presitgious performance 'GT I-Drive' from a bog standard Targa with or without stickers.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
Surely, factors that make the bike attractive to buyers (and indeed bike theives) are features like suspension, architecture and accessories. Labels on bikes are moot. One should hope that anyone with an eyesight might easily distinguish a presitgious performance 'GT I-Drive' from a bog standard Targa with or without stickers.
If you're talking top of the range, then you're probably asking for trouble where ever you go!

Be sensible. If you want to do some serious mountain biking, buy a decent bike and keep it locked away indoors. For getting around town, buy something that looks like it's about to fall apart...
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
If you're talking top of the range, then you're probably asking for trouble where ever you go!

Be sensible. If you want to do some serious mountain biking, buy a decent bike and keep it locked away indoors. For getting around town, buy something that looks like it's about to fall apart...

Yes, I think I have long departed with the idea of having a a performance machine and expecting to use it for daily purposes as well.

But if we are talking about aluminuim wrecks, then what difference would a sticker make? A bike that looks as if it were about to fall apart would be not attractive in the slightest even if it had a wonderful sticker in various colours and shapes with a hologram. Doubtless you'd only want to disguise the identity of the bike if it were a decent contraption.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
argumentative aren't we

One word if you want a nice bike: Insurance.

Bike insurance is very expensive in Oxbridge though.....
acidbubble
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i only have a nice bike , how much is it for a cheap one? :P
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
argumentative aren't we

One word if you want a nice bike: Insurance.

Bike insurance is very expensive in Oxbridge though.....

Indeed I have resigned myself to the ghastly prospect of travelling around the Fens on an old scaffold instrument moved by two wheels.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 15 years ago
I have heard stories that the Cambridge locals are somewhat more belligerent and confrontational than Oxford locals. I heard that bricks are thrown at boaties on the river and students are thrust off their bicycles in mid pedal-stroke, while gowns are tugged upon while students are about town during examination time. I expect this is much to do with the influence of the deprivation of the surrounding areas...........
Um...no. Besides, what deprivation. In rural area such as this people are alot better off than ina city like oxford. That and the fact alot of people around here are london commuters.
You will find pissed up townies trying to kick in bike spokes, but thats no different to drunken cocks anywhere.
J
kart
Report 15 years ago
Well, Oxbridge students are supposed to be pretty damn clever ain't they? Why not think up some plan to defeat these bike thieves, and more importantly, the bullies. That (the bullying) annoys me more. I suppose if the chemists, physicists, engineers and computer scientists team up, they could easily make some sort of firebomb missile. Aim at their houses, watch them burn! And I bet everyone'll think I'm joking...
I refuse to believe anyone from Kings Lynn can intimidate a Cambridge student. I can't believe I used to think some of them were actually hard.
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
Um...no. Besides, what deprivation.
J
IMO King's Hedges and Arbury estates have all the hallmarks of a deprived area.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
Um...no. Besides, what deprivation.
Are you joking? I have seen some awfully deprived places a stone throw away from Central Cambridge. In fact, dumps. Today somebody mentioned St Neots which I happen to have a reasonable knowledge of - this place is dreadful.

That and the fact alot of people around here are london commuters.
What do you mean by this? That they are higher earners? Surely, there are an equal, if not greater, amount of commuters to London from Oxford - especially as it is an easier journey from Ox to London......Anyway, I dont know how this reason supports your argument (what exactly is your argument?)
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Only £12.50 return (incl. tube)and 50 minutes to London from Cambridge and the trains go every 15 minutes. What's it like from Oxford?

(p.s. I know this is hardly related at all!)
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have been advised not to buy a nice looking bicycle because it will inevitably be stolen at some point - regardless of how many locks and chains I use! How true is this?
But Cambridge is a very nice area, I'm sure the chances of this happening ar far less; than say in North West in Leeds, about quarter of a mile from one of the roughest estates in the city, if you see my point...
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Only £12.50 return (incl. tube)and 50 minutes to London from Cambridge and the trains go every 15 minutes. What's it like from Oxford?

The train service in Cambridge is better than that of Oxford.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kart)
Well, Oxbridge students are supposed to be pretty damn clever ain't they? Why not think up some plan to defeat these bike thieves, and more importantly, the bullies. That (the bullying) annoys me more.
Most of us get no trouble from them. There are isolated events, but there are 10000 students or something and most of us have no trouble. It's not worth wasting time on.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)

What? I paid like £25 from Kings Cross to Cambridge!!!! excl. tube!!!!
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Helenia)
Most of us get no trouble from them. There are isolated events, but there are 10000 students or something and most of us have no trouble. It's not worth wasting time on.

Yes, I feel I my thread may have got some people worried unnecessarily. Besides, it strikes me that Oxbridge students are not particularly confrontational, so even if they do have the brains to invoke such a revolt, they certainly do not have the inclination. Oxbridge students are always well represented at peace marches I have found (not that I was counting - just casual observation).
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by bono)
The train service in Cambridge is better than that of Oxford.

Perhaps you should re-phrase this to "the train service in Cambridge is not as bad as that of Oxford".
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.06%
No (69)
11.6%
I'm not old enough (246)
41.34%

Watched Threads