This discussion is closed.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
Only £12.50 return (incl. tube)and 50 minutes to London from Cambridge and the trains go every 15 minutes. What's it like from Oxford?

(p.s. I know this is hardly related at all!)
with a YPRC £7.75 return London to Oxford. Going the other way you can get a one day travel card which covers the tube for the day too....

The Oxford Tube bus is about £6.50 a return...
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
What? I paid like £25 from Kings Cross to Cambridge!!!! excl. tube!!!!
Curiouser and curiouser. I just went up and said "Day return from Cambridge to Kings Cross please. OOO and do you do those all-zone tubes thingys as well? Can I have that as well please?"

"£12.50 please"

Although, I'm sure you guessed that that was how the conversation went anyway. I did have a student rail card, but my bf only paid £17.50 and he doesn't have one.
MentallyIll
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Curiouser and curiouser. I just went up and said "Day return from Cambridge to Kings Cross please. OOO and do you do those all-zone tubes thingys as well? Can I have that as well please?"

"£12.50 please"

Although, I'm sure you guessed that that was how the conversation went anyway. I did have a student rail card, but my bf only paid £17.50 and he doesn't have one.

hmmm.....perhaps it had something to do with my travelling before 9.30am. I shall have to acquire one of these 'rail cards' what ever they might be.......
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
The Oxford Tube bus is about £6.50 a return...
It's gone up, last time I went it was £8 student rate, £10 standard rate.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexander)
It's gone up, last time I went it was £8 student rate, £10 standard rate.
I thought you could catch bus for £1?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I have heard stories that the Cambridge locals are somewhat more belligerent and confrontational than Oxford locals.
On our post matriculation pub-crawl at Oxford (1999) we were verbally abused by a load of townies in Cornmarket St. One yelling 'You over privledged bunch of [email protected], when I was a kid we had to sh!t in an external toilet'! Bizarre thing to shout!

Amazing how much anamosity a black gown and a touch of sub-fusc can cause!
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The Megabus, for which one has to book ahead, can be very cheap.
Alexander
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Perhaps you should re-phrase this to "the train service in Cambridge is not as bad as that of Oxford".
Oxford's trains aren't that bad, there are direct services to a fair number of places and a fast (one hour) service to London about every twenty minutes.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
plus a 50p booking fee
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
On our post matriculation pub-crawl at Oxford (1999) we were verbally abused by a load of townies in Cornmarket St. One yelling 'You over privledged bunch of [email protected], when I was a kid we had to sh!t in an external toilet'! Bizarre thing to shout!

But having an external toilet means you could have had an easier time ******* without fear of being caught.

Does anyone have a Cambridge story to rival this?
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
:confused:
(Original post by Alexander)
Oxford's trains aren't that bad, there are direct services to a fair number of places and a fast (one hour) service to London about every twenty minutes.

Regardless, I still do not see how a good train service to London helps to have a tangible effect on deprivation :confused:
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But having an external toilet means you could have had an easier time ******* without fear of being caught.

Does anyone have a Cambridge story to rival this?
Mmmm, I had a similar experience but just went up and told them how it was (actually I was rather drunk so I ended up shouting). They were rather scared by the end of it and said sorry! Pro of going to a school where you continually have to defend yourself.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Mmmm, I had a similar experience but just went up and told them how it was (actually I was rather drunk so I ended up shouting). They were rather scared by the end of it and said sorry! Pro of going to a school where you continually have to defend yourself.
We set Liz on him. Liz is from Liverpool. People do not mess with Liz. She is scary. And a scouser. Very scary.

kart
Report 15 years ago

Hehe...I don't use the term over priviledged in normal conversation, let alone when I'm drunk. Losers.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (280)
47.54%
No (68)
11.54%
I'm not old enough (241)
40.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed