Methods in context question? Watch

euphoric-state
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
i'm currently trying to do the question :
'' Using material from Item B and elsewhere, assess the strengths and limitations of one
of the following methods for investigating the role of parents in pupils’ achievement:

EITHER questionnaires
OR unstructured interviews ''

and I have absolutely no idea how to set it out. Any help?
faulknerm16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Simply identify the strengths and limitations of your chosen research method, and then just try and incorporate a sentence or two into each paragraph linking it back to the topic of parents' roles in education.

For example; "A limitation of using questionnaires to investigate the role of parents in pupils' achievement is low response rates. Financial obligations mean that many parents work full time jobs, and in addition also complete domestic work. Duties such as these may mean that parents simply do not have the time to fill out the questionnaire, thus decreasing the chances of the investigator receiving a high response rate"

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough, please let me know if i haven't, and I'll try and be clearer for you I assume this is AS Sociology? I'm taking it too and at the start I really struggled with these questions, but I've progressed a lot with them
euphoric-state
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by faulknerm16)
Simply identify the strengths and limitations of your chosen research method, and then just try and incorporate a sentence or two into each paragraph linking it back to the topic of parents' roles in education.

For example; "A limitation of using questionnaires to investigate the role of parents in pupils' achievement is low response rates. Financial obligations mean that many parents work full time jobs, and in addition also complete domestic work. Duties such as these may mean that parents simply do not have the time to fill out the questionnaire, thus decreasing the chances of the investigator receiving a high response rate"

Sorry if I haven't been clear enough, please let me know if i haven't, and I'll try and be clearer for you I assume this is AS Sociology? I'm taking it too and at the start I really struggled with these questions, but I've progressed a lot with them
Yeah, it's AS. As much as I enjoy sociology, having one of the worlds most irritating over-eccentric teachers does mean that I learn basically nothing and have to teach myself aha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads