Biggest mistake in human history?

Watch
DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So there are many mistakes in human history, most recent of which may include the Treaty of Versailles, Hitler's invasion of Russia in the winter, the splitting of the world into two opposing ideological camps at the Yalta Conference in Feb 1945.
Heck, you could even choose Decca records failing to sign the Beatles.

Anyways, your thoughts please.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Major superpower sending a seemingly unlimited number of troops to a foreign state to fight a war on behalf of someone else with no real understanding as to why, no real objectives and no real strategy; culminating in years of pointless war and tremendous political upheaval at home.

Yes, it's the Athenian Expedition to Sicily during the Peloponnesian War.
Xyloid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The distribution of the song Bad Girls by M.I.A.

It happened and we all let it happen.
Ruffiio
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP was the biggest mistake.

notsrs

brb while I read up on the entirety of human history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
De Chirico
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sterilising Katie Price.
Stinkum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it's when we crossed the armistice line which provoked the First Cylon War. By breaching the terms of the armistice, humans gave Cylons a reason to start a war. And 40 years later, this led to the Second Cylon War which saw the annihilation and destruction of all of the Twelve Colonies.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ahura Mazda; the first "creator God". Up until that point, people were Pantheon crazy. Then Zoroaster had the seemingly brilliant idea of turning a Pantheon into a sole God, and through the ages various people followed suit with that. Then we ended up with Christianity/Catholicism. Joy.

While that's not to say that the Crusades and the Dark Ages wouldn't have happened if Western Christian-based religions didn't have an incredibly ego-based God, I doubt that even half as many people wouldn't have been burnt at the stake for not following Catholicism if a Pantheon was involved (Pantheons allow flexibility, a singular God denies that).
Prince Vultan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Shaq Fu or the Star Wars prequels.

Maybe the Aztecs welcoming Hernan Cortes with open arms as he systematically destroyed everything they held dear. But probably Shaq Fu.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Taking Bobby Charlton off when we were two nil up against W Germany in the 1970 World Cup quarter finals. We lost 3-2 and scarcely won a match in the knock out stages of a world cup ever since.
the mezzil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nailing Jesus to the cross. (The historical figure, not religious one specifically)

It has caused and is behind the reasoning for all sorts of problems for the last 2000 years.
aranexus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I accidentally traveled back in time 100M years. I then sneezed which caused a pandemic like plague which prematurely wiped out all the dinosaurs causing events to be offset by my many millions of years & unpredictably changed. Essentially screwing up all of history and irrevocably damaging the timeline.

I eventually managed to get back to the present where everything is now screwed up! Everything's changed: Jesus killed Judas, Hitler won WW2, WW3 has caused widespread radiation, oh and Amy Whinehouse is still alive dafak!? :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, but it's really hard to hold in a sneeze!...
NW86
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The biggest is so hard to pick out, however I'd say Napoleon's invasion of Russia was a pretty big one, partly because I think the graph below, drawn in 1869, indicates how disastrous it was (peach line is army size outbound, black line is the return)

Name:  800px-Minard.png
Views: 176
Size:  148.0 KB
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Baby making.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stinkum)
I think it's when we crossed the armistice line which provoked the First Cylon War. By breaching the terms of the armistice, humans gave Cylons a reason to start a war. And 40 years later, this led to the Second Cylon War which saw the annihilation and destruction of all of the Twelve Colonies.
That's not what happened in either the original or reimagined histories.

In the original, the Cylon War started over humans going to the aid of some unspecified alien race being picked on by the Cylons. Humans and cylons fight for 1000 years, which ends with a peace treaty which is cover for the sneak attack on the 12 colonies.

In the 2003 series, the first Cylon War is triggered by rebellion on Caprica of the robot-cylons. The second Cylon War did feature a breach of the Armistice Line by Adama in a stealth fighter - but the Destruction of the 12 Colonies had been planned much earlier by Al off Quantum Leap.
BeautifulPotato
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mrs Hitler said 'I'm coming off the pill.'
garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BeautifulPotato)
Mrs Hitler said 'I'm coming off the pill.'
weird fact but 4/5 of hitlers siblings died before adulthood.
Huskaris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
weird fact but 4/5 of hitlers siblings died before adulthood.
Genesis and Catastrophe, a story in Kiss Kiss by Roald Dahl (a great book) has a great fictionalisation of this.
garfeeled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Huskaris)
Genesis and Catastrophe, a story in Kiss Kiss by Roald Dahl (a great book) has a great fictionalisation of this.
i knew there was a book about this but didn't know what it was called or who wrote it. Thanks.
Huskaris
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
i knew there was a book about this but didn't know what it was called or who wrote it. Thanks.
Not a problem, hope you enjoy it, it's part of the whole book "Kiss Kiss" which really is fantastic, makes you realize Roald Dahl had a much darker side to him and could write for adults too!!!
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not tackling global warming.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (43)
31.85%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
28.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise