Global Warming is Becoming Extremely Obvious!!!

Watch
rawadkhanfar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We all know, or at least have heard of Global Warming. for me Global Warming was just another topic given at school (I did care about it, but the fact that here in my place (Jordan) we haven't seen any remarkable changes in our climate.)

The reason why I wanted to create this thread is that unfortunately I became a witness to this tragedy. before I start, i would like to describe how the
weather was like her in Jordan.

first of all, Jordan usually have an amazing climate, unlike some other countries, you can really experience all four seasons. Winter is cold, Summer is hot, in Spring you see the flowers flourish and so on..
But now things have changed. first of all winter started too soon this year, and the first sign for winter was the heavy snow that we haven't witnessed anything like it from at least 10 years ago(usually snow falls later in winter, we first see rain) and it wasn't like any other year, the snow closed most of the roads for about 2 weeks. and summer started way too soon as well, usually we start feeling the hot weather in May, but this year, rain stopped and summer started at the end of March. But SURPRISINGLY yesterday night there was a thunder storm, and today morning there was heavy rain and fog.

Have you experienced any climate changes in your country? if yes please share your experience here and comment on this.

Stinkum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Global warming isn't real, it's a myth. How can you attribute the changes in climate you've described to this so-called global warming?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The UK has had its third warmest first 4 months of the year on record.

The NOAA predicts a 70% chance that EL Nino will be declared during the summer, if that occurs then there's a reasonable chance that 2014 or 2015 will be one of the warmest global years on record.
rawadkhanfar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stinkum)
Global warming isn't real, it's a myth. How can you attribute the changes in climate you've described to this so-called global warming?
Global Warming doesn't literally refer to 'Warm' weather.
now Global Warming is and i quote "a gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere generally attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, chlorofluorocarbons, and other pollutants."
now when the overall temperature of the earths surface increase, that causes the poles to melt, when those poles melt they cause an alteration in the atmosphere and a climate change. so the result could be a hot or a cold weather not necessarily hot.
rawadkhanfar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)

The NOAA predicts a 70% chance that EL Nino will be declared during the summer, if that occurs then there's a reasonable chance that 2014 or 2015 will be one of the warmest global years on record.
Wow! thanks for the information
TheCynicalChild
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because evidence has been put forward by scientists that show that greenhouse gases are causing the atmosphere to heat up-for people that say that these fluctuations in climate have been occurring historically is pretty ignorant, considering we didn't knowingly have such a high level of greenhouse gases being produced back then.

Halogenoalkanes, a product of CFC's, are released into the atmosphere. When they are in the troposphere they are harmless (as they are very stable and there is not enough energy to overcome their bonds), yet when they are in the stratosphere, there is enough energy to cause their bonds to vibrate (vibration of bonds increases the temperature of the surroundings to increase, leading to an increase in heat energy) and then break. They are broken down in the stratosphere to produce radicals which then go on to react with ozone to produce oxygen-hence depleting ozone. This explains the ozone holes. If there are increasingly larger ozone holes, then more UV radiation can reach the Earth's surface and hence lead to a rise in temperature.

Ozone made in the troposphere however, provides an insulating effect in the lower atmosphere-thus increasing the temperature on earth. When oxygen reacts with UV radiation (not normally found in the troposphere but if there is an ozone hole, then it can be present), O radicals are formed which then go on to react with oxygen molecules to produce ozone (O3).

These catalytic cycles are caused by greenhouse gases being produced from CFC's (commonly found in aerosols, air conditioners, refrigerators)-and that's why all the reactions I've just highlighted above are occurring increasingly, hence why the temperature of the earth is increasing. So, Global Warming is real.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We have both correlation and a mechanism for causation, that makes it at least a very good guess.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because to date each decade has been warmer than the last.

Climate is measured over a period of time so one cold winter does not take away from the fact that there may have been 5 warm ones. Here in the UK the last 13 years have seen some remarkable records smashed and then even smashed again and we have 300 years of records.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am looking forward to the next few dacades of 'we told you so' to be honest.

The whole thing makes me so angry.
The pencil one
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Boo hoo, damage is irreversible now. Even if it wasn't, it would take centuries to fix
rawadkhanfar
Rep:
?
(Original post by The pencil one)
Boo hoo, damage is irreversible now. Even if it wasn't, it would take centuries to fix
that means that after centuries the world would be a better place. thats better than the idea that after centuries (or even decades) we would watch the world end.
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rawadkhanfar)
We all know, or at least have heard of Global Warming. for me Global Warming was just another topic given at school (I did care about it, but the fact that here in my place (Jordan) we haven't seen any remarkable changes in our climate.)

The reason why I wanted to create this thread is that unfortunately I became a witness to this tragedy. before I start, i would like to describe how the
weather was like her in Jordan.

first of all, Jordan usually have an amazing climate, unlike some other countries, you can really experience all four seasons. Winter is cold, Summer is hot, in Spring you see the flowers flourish and so on..
But now things have changed. first of all winter started too soon this year, and the first sign for winter was the heavy snow that we haven't witnessed anything like it from at least 10 years ago(usually snow falls later in winter, we first see rain) and it wasn't like any other year, the snow closed most of the roads for about 2 weeks. and summer started way too soon as well, usually we start feeling the hot weather in May, but this year, rain stopped and summer started at the end of March. But SURPRISINGLY yesterday night there was a thunder storm, and today morning there was heavy rain and fog.

Have you experienced any climate changes in your country? if yes please share your experience here and comment on this.

I would be careful when attributing specific weather events to global warming. Weather is an extremely chaotic phenomenon, and there won't be a single cause for any specific weather event. Global warming can be a contributing factor; in the case of hurricanes, for example, it is expected that global warming will increase the intensity of the largest storms due to increasing sea surface temperatures (warm water provides the latent heat which fuels hurricanes). We won't ever reach the point where we'll be able to say that one particular storm wouldn't have happened had we shown more restraint when using fossil fuels, though.

I've seen some of the effects of climate change, yes - melting glaciers in the Alps spring to mind. We have had some odd weather in the UK in recent years. During 2006 - 2012, we basically never had a summer, for example. I'd stop short of saying that's down to climate change, but it could have been a contributing factor.
rawadkhanfar
Rep:
?
(Original post by redferry)
I am looking forward to the next few dacades of 'we told you so' to be honest.

The whole thing makes me so angry.
i hope we don't see that day.
and to be honest that most of us are angry just like you, and we know the roots of the problem, but what can we do? its almost impossible to stop this, if you think about it, ur gonna have to let go of many essential things in our life in order to make a negligible change.

while on the other hand, there are people that can use science to make change, but unfortunately people who can fund those things are busy buying weapons and other things that cause more distruction to our planet.
our brains and money are not being used correctly, instead we use them to hate on each other, and to kill each other. that's just the ugly truth.
redferry
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i hope we don't see that day.
and to be honest that most of us are angry just like you, and we know the roots of the problem, but what can we do? its almost impossible to stop this, if you think about it, ur gonna have to let go of many essential things in our life in order to make a negligible change.

while on the other hand, there are people that can use science to make change, but unfortunately people who can fund those things are busy buying weapons and other things that cause more distruction to our planet.
our brains and money are not being used correctly, instead we use them to hate on each other, and to kill each other. that's just the ugly truth.

we are already seeing that day. It is too late, it is going to happen. Even if we stopped Co2 and methane emissions right now we will still have over a degree in warming.

There's nothing to be done except laugh maniacally in the knowledge that you tried your best as the ship sinks.

Or just be happy that it won't affect you that much if you are rich.
rawadkhanfar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
I would be careful when attributing specific weather events to global warming. Weather is an extremely chaotic phenomenon, and there won't be a single cause for any specific weather event. Global warming can be a contributing factor; in the case of hurricanes, for example, it is expected that global warming will increase the intensity of the largest storms due to increasing sea surface temperatures (warm water provides the latent heat which fuels hurricanes). We won't ever reach the point where we'll be able to say that one particular storm wouldn't have happened had we shown more restraint when using fossil fuels, though.

I've seen some of the effects of climate change, yes - melting glaciers in the Alps spring to mind. We have had some odd weather in the UK in recent years. During 2006 - 2012, we basically never had a summer, for example. I'd stop short of saying that's down to climate change, but it could have been a contributing factor.
yes i totally agree with you, but I'm not only talking about Jordan, some areas in the world are watching extreme climate change. complete habitats are being destroyed, think about the animals living in that habitats...
and as you said of course there is more than one factor affecting this, but the least we can do is try to eliminate or at least compensate the factors that are caused by humans.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
that means that after centuries the world would be a better place. thats better than the idea that after centuries (or even decades) we would watch the world end.
The world won't end because of global warming, it just amplifies the current situation. The majority of people in the west will be fine, we have the technology to feed, water and provide for ourselves and away from the mid-west and parts of southern Europe things won't be bad (actually upto 3C of warming could be good for the UK apparently). The people who it screws are those in Africa and Asia which will become larger deserts.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Not if you're a polar bear.
OMGWTFBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheCynicalChild)
Because statistically insignificent evidence has been put forward by scientists that at best suggest that greenhouse gases may be causing the atmosphere to heat up-for people that say that these fluctuations in climate have been occurring historically is pretty reasonable to point out, considering we didn't knowingly have such a high level of greenhouse gases being produced back then and so it could be having no impact whatsoever.

Halogenoalkanes, a product of CFC's, are released into the atmosphere. When they are in the troposphere they are harmless (as they are very stable and there is not enough energy to overcome their bonds), yet when they are in the stratosphere, there is enough energy to cause their bonds to vibrate (vibration of bonds increases the temperature of the surroundings to increase, leading to an increase in heat energy) and then break. They are broken down in the stratosphere to produce radicals which then go on to react with ozone to produce oxygen-hence depleting ozone. This explains the ozone holes. If there are increasingly larger ozone holes, then more UV radiation can reach the Earth's surface and hence lead to a rise in temperature.

Ozone made in the troposphere however, provides an insulating effect in the lower atmosphere-thus increasing the temperature on earth. When oxygen reacts with UV radiation (not normally found in the troposphere but if there is an ozone hole, then it can be present), O radicals are formed which then go on to react with oxygen molecules to produce ozone (O3).

These catalytic cycles are caused by greenhouse gases being produced from CFC's (commonly found in aerosols, air conditioners, refrigerators)-and that's why all the reactions I've just highlighted above are occurring increasingly, hence why the temperature of the earth is increasing.This mechanism of course is entirely unrelated to that proposed for the bulk of supposed "Global Warming" and thus is just a scare story. Regardless, CFCs have been banned in the European Union (except for use in medicine) since 1997, and are being phased out in the United States and China by 2020. At the extremely low levels of use which remain today they are totally unable to explain the supposed changes in climate which are deliberately manufactured to further the green adgenda (ie. trends fabricated by abusing statistical techniques.)
Thanks for your post, I corrected some of your points for you
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Not if you're a polar bear.
I'm not. Polar bears can't type.

Sweeeeeeeeeet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads