Edexcel AS French Unt 2 - 15th May Watch

ejsproul
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys the AS written exam is coming up what do you reckon the essay topic will be?

Any suggestions?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Karoel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't really know what the topic will be. I don't think there are that many past papers for writing so I think it might be something that never came up before.

Do you think we have to know the about French education system and all the years / bac options etc?
ejsproul
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not sure tbh i think it could be either education or environment as they havent come up recently...

Definitely wont be technology as that was last June or languages as January session..

What do you think will be asked about the French education system?
sarazg96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it will be anything about health but do u have any tips on how to score highly on all parts of the exam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Karoel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarazg96)
I don't think it will be anything about health but do u have any tips on how to score highly on all parts of the exam ?
For the essay I always spend the first 10-ish minutes planning out pretty much every sentence that I'm gonna write. It helps me fit all the complex stuff in and also means that I probably won't go over the 220 words.

You always have to respond to any question exactly (in listening and reading) and in a way that fits the question grammatically. So if the question is "Comment est-ce que les jeunes peuvent améliorer leur santé?", you can't say "Faire plus d'exercise", but you can say "Ils peuvent faire plus d'exercise".
sarazg96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Karoel)
For the essay I always spend the first 10-ish minutes planning out pretty much every sentence that I'm gonna write. It helps me fit all the complex stuff in and also means that I probably won't go over the 220 words.

You always have to respond to any question exactly (in listening and reading) and in a way that fits the question grammatically. So if the question is "Comment est-ce que les jeunes peuvent améliorer leur santé?", you can't say "Faire plus d'exercise", but you can say "Ils peuvent faire plus d'exercise".
Thanks this is really helpful will definetly take it on board

Posted from TSR Mobile
charlottecrb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've looked at all the past writings and here's how they've come up:
Youth Culture - May '09, Jan '11, Jan '12, May '13
Lifestyle, Health and Fitness - May '11
The World Around Us - May '12
The World of Work (Education, etc) - May '10, Jan '13

and in January '10 there was a writing on 'les listes au Pere Noel' but I don't know where that would fit in..

So I'm guessing either Lifestyle, Health and Fitness or The World Around Us
_Samuel_
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys!

The exam's tomorrow - quite nervous about it.

Anyone have any last minute revision tips? :-)

Thanks.
Olorin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _Samuel_)
Hi guys!

The exam's tomorrow - quite nervous about it.

Anyone have any last minute revision tips? :-)

Thanks.
I'd say making sure your tenses are perfect is the main thing and ensuring youve got a good vocab knowledge across all topics. That's what I'll be doing tonight. Just going over everything
Also we've been encouraged to remember like 2 or 3 phrases of the subjunctive just to throw in as appropriate so we don't have to spend time worrying about constructing them in the exam.

A question for everyone:
Could anyone tell me how to differentiate when to use the infinitive and when to use the present participle? This is one of the things Im stressing about?
florence1028
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by charlottecrb)
I've looked at all the past writings and here's how they've come up:
Youth Culture - May '09, Jan '11, Jan '12, May '13
Lifestyle, Health and Fitness - May '11
The World Around Us - May '12
The World of Work (Education, etc) - May '10, Jan '13

and in January '10 there was a writing on 'les listes au Pere Noel' but I don't know where that would fit in..

So I'm guessing either Lifestyle, Health and Fitness or The World Around Us
Noooooooooooooo exam gods please not The World Around Us for a writing x__x

Jan '10 could possibly fit into youth culture and concerns but I agree it's a bit of a stretch
charlottecrb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by florence1028)
Noooooooooooooo exam gods please not The World Around Us for a writing x__x

Jan '10 could possibly fit into youth culture and concerns but I agree it's a bit of a stretch
Thats probably what I'd put it into but it doesn't fit very well into any of the four categories.

Personally I'm hoping for The World Around Us because it was my speaking topic last year. I'm just hoping we won't get something like a job application.
charlottecrb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olorin)
I'd say making sure your tenses are perfect is the main thing and ensuring youve got a good vocab knowledge across all topics. That's what I'll be doing tonight. Just going over everything
Also we've been encouraged to remember like 2 or 3 phrases of the subjunctive just to throw in as appropriate so we don't have to spend time worrying about constructing them in the exam.

A question for everyone:
Could anyone tell me how to differentiate when to use the infinitive and when to use the present participle? This is one of the things Im stressing about?
I'm awful at explanations so this site may be useful - http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a...participle.htm

I just use the present participle when I want to say 'by doing something' so 'en fournissant plus d'argent' or 'en utilisant les transports en commun..' (Awful examples, sorry!)
florence1028
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thats probably what I'd put it into but it doesn't fit very well into any of the four categories.

Personally I'm hoping for The World Around Us because it was my speaking topic last year. I'm just hoping we won't get something like a job application.
They just like to be random don't they?

How're you revising? I'm just trying to cram my brain full of vocab haha
charlottecrb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by florence1028)
They just like to be random don't they?

How're you revising? I'm just trying to cram my brain full of vocab haha
Yep! There's been loads on youth culture though and that was last year so I'm counting on it not being that.

I've barely revised to be honest, I'm just doing some past papers and I've done a couple of writing practices. I'm doing A2 at the moment so I can the reading and listening a lot better now. I guess knowing topic specific vocab will be useful and making sure you get lots of good grammar in in the writing
BuddingAchiever
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.memrise.com/course/187079...ual-knowledge/

Found this amazing memrise course for as- french..... it's got lots of technical terms
BuddingAchiever
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.memrise.com/course/187079...ual-knowledge/

Found this amazing memrise course for as- french..... it's got lots of technical terms and phrases, not just randoms words
florence1028
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep! There's been loads on youth culture though and that was last year so I'm counting on it not being that.

I've barely revised to be honest, I'm just doing some past papers and I've done a couple of writing practices. I'm doing A2 at the moment so I can the reading and listening a lot better now. I guess knowing topic specific vocab will be useful and making sure you get lots of good grammar in in the writing
Ah right, last years paper was pretty horrible I remember doing it for a mock! I'll probably just have a quick look over grammar points and keep cramming vocab then.

Good luck !
unenfantgéntil
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olorin)

A question for everyone:
In English we use '....ing' all the time - but in french in the majority of cases the infinitive is used...
eg. I don't like writing = je n'aime pas écrire
Only use the present participle when:
- 'by ....ing' eg. en tombant
- 'on ....ing'
- 'whilst ....ing'
- to shorten a clause eg. étant fatiguée, elle a arrêté de jouer = being tired.....
Always think twice when translating!!! Don't just jump to the PP
Plus, when in English there are two PPs following each other eg. By avoiding eating, use a PP followed by the infinitive eg. en évitant de manger

BONNE CHANCE
anorris13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Quick question, what was the last bullet point on the written task today? think I may have messed that up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (129)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (63)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (374)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (94)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed