German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
does anyone know how to structure a 12 mark question in history. My exam board is edexcel A and atm i am studying international relations.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by German123)
does anyone know how to structure a 12 mark question in history. My exam board is edexcel A and atm i am studying international relations.
Heya, I'm just going to pop this into the History forum for you, as you might be able to get some more responses there.
German123
Rep:
?
(Original post by puddles the monkey)
heya, i'm just going to pop this into the history forum for you, as you might be able to get some more responses there.

sure thanks.
Dariaandahsfan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HEY. It's so great to finally see a forum about the EDEXCEL History GCSE. I have my international relations (COLD WAR) exam on Friday for EDEXCEL.

To structure a 12 mark question: The questions are usually a change...so you have to say HOW relationships have got better/worse. Sometimes it's explain WHY relationships changed... The time period can be anywhere from in a single year (e.g Cuban missile crisis) or a longer time period eg. (1943-49)

(if the question was.... Explain why relations between the USSR and USA changed 1979-91...this is how you'll go about it)

1) State the cause.
Eg: One cause of changing US/USSR relations was the soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

2) Include specific detail for that cause
EG. Its war against Afghan rebels lasted 10 years and 1.5m people died.

3) Show how your identified cause caused relations to change. (THIS IS IMPORTANT. YOU NEED TO DIRECTLY ANSWER THE QUESTION)
EG. The invasion made the USA fear Soviet expansion into the oil-rich Middle East. So relations got worse. Us President Carter imposed economic sanctions, ended the SALT 2 talks and supported the rebels.

4) Explain how causes link together (IF YOU WANT YOUR B, A, A*)
EG. You need 3 points (at least) and you need to show how they link together.
If your points were:
- The soviet invasion of Afghanistan
-President Reagan's 'Second Cold War'
- president Gorbachev's reforms.

You need to show the links between the causes:
EG. Invading Afghanistan (cause 1) told Reagan that the USR was the 'Evil Empire' (link to cause 2) , prompting his SDI project. SDI, in turn, told Gorbachev that he couldn't compete with the US and made him adopt reform instead (link to cause 3)

5) Say which cause was the most important. (THIS WILL GET YOU INTO TOP BANDS. THE EXAMINER DOESN'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHICH ONE YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT, JUST MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR OPINION!)

SDI was the most important cause of changing relations. At first, it frightened the USSR and made them very suspicious and mistrusting of the USA. But later, SDI convinced Gorbachev that glasnost (friendship & detente) was the only way forward.

-----------

You need to repeat steps 1-3 for each cause you identify. Also you could do the links and the importance at the end of each paragraph. Or you could just do it at the end of your essay, like shown above, which is probably easier.

(Hoped this helped! I used a revision guide for most of the information I gave you just to clarify)

If I find the markscheme, I might add that in later to clarify even more You don't even have to write that much to get top marks
German123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dariaandahsfan)
HEY. It's so great to finally see a forum about the EDEXCEL History GCSE. I have my international relations (COLD WAR) exam on Friday for EDEXCEL.

To structure a 12 mark question: The questions are usually a change...so you have to say HOW relationships have got better/worse. Sometimes it's explain WHY relationships changed... The time period can be anywhere from in a single year (e.g Cuban missile crisis) or a longer time period eg. (1943-49)

(if the question was.... Explain why relations between the USSR and USA changed 1979-91...this is how you'll go about it)

1) State the cause.
Eg: One cause of changing US/USSR relations was the soviet invasion of Afghanistan

EG. Its war against Afghan rebels lasted 10 yeas and 1.5m people died

3) Show how your identified cause caused relations to change. (THIS IS IMPORTANT. YOU NEED TO DIRECTLY ANSWER THE QUESTION)
EG. The invasion made the USA fear Soviet expansion into the oil-rich Middle East. So relations got worse. Us President Carter imposed economic sanctions, ended the SALT 2 talks and supported the rebels.

If your points were:

EG. Invading Afghanistan (cause 1) told Reagan that the USR was the 'Evil Empire' (link to cause 2) , prompting his SDI project. SDI, in turn, told Gorbachev that he couldn't compete with the US and made him adopt reform instead (link to cause 3)

5) Say which cause was the most important. (THIS WILL GET YOU INTO TOP BANDS. THE EXAMINER DOESN'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH WHICH ONE YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT, JUST MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE YOUR OPINION!)

SDI was the most important cause of changing relations. At first, it frightened the USSR and made them very suspicious and mistrusting of the USA. But later, SDI convinced Gorbachev that glasnost (friendship & detente) was the only way forward.

-----------

You need to repeat steps 1-3 for each cause you identify. Also you could do the links and the importance at the end of each paragraph. Or you could just do it at the end of your essay, like shown above, which is probably easier.

(Hoped this helped! I used a revision guide for most of the information I gave you just to clarify)

If I find the markscheme, I might add that in later to clarify even more
Hi i have my international paper on friday to(Edexcel A)

Thanks for the reply and good luck.
German123
Rep:
?

1) State the cause.
Eg: One cause of changing US/USSR relations was the soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

If your points were:

-----------

If I find the markscheme, I might add that in later to clarify even more You don't even have to write that much to get top marks
If you dont mind me asking what revision guide did you use.
Dariaandahsfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi i have my international paper on friday to(Edexcel A)

Thanks for the reply and good luck.
You're welcome! Good luck to you too! Slightly changing subject here, but if you like we could do a skype session (text) just asking each other knowledge based questions. It's easier if people question you :P
German123
Rep:
?

1) State the cause.

If your points were:

-----------

The reason for my question is that maybe i could purchase it before the exam as my ones are not that great and seeing from above the revision guide you have seems a good one to me.
Dariaandahsfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The reason for my question is that maybe i could purchase it before the exam as my ones are not that great and seeing from above the revision guide you have seems a good one to me.
I was given mine from my school along with the usual other 3 books, that you'd probably use in lesson.

It's a proper revision guide, and not a book with tons of content etc...as in it tells you how to answer the question.

It's called Edexcel GCSE History A: The making of the Modern world Units 1-3. It comes with a CD-ROM, It contains revision help for all the units for edexcel & the authors are John Child, Jane Shuter, Paul Shuter
Name:  $T2eC16hHJGMFFo!(TFPyBSM(V3B+-g~~60_12.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  26.9 KB
German123
Rep:
?
I was given mine from my school along with the usual other 3 books, that you'd probably use in lesson.

It's a proper revision guide, and not a book with tons of content etc...as in it tells you how to answer the question.

It's called Edexcel GCSE History A: The making of the Modern world Units 1-3. It comes with a CD-ROM, It contains revision help for all the units for edexcel & the authors are John Child, Jane Shuter, Paul Shuter
Name:  $T2eC16hHJGMFFo!(TFPyBSM(V3B+-g~~60_12.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  26.9 KB

Thanks. I use this book at scholl but unfortunately my teacher wont allo us to take this book home due to the fact that people wont return them Anyways i will see if i can purchase this.
Dariaandahsfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks. I use this book at scholl but unfortunately my teacher wont allo us to take this book home due to the fact that people wont return them Anyways i will see if i can purchase this.
You're probably thinking of this one.
Name:  51y010tpQ0L._SY300_.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  17.2 KB

They're different books
razkoroh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have used the notes available at indyjoneshistory.com. They are really concise and can be used directly in the exam answers. Really cool!
German123
Rep:
?
(Original post by razkoroh)
I have used the notes available at indyjoneshistory.com. They are really concise and can be used directly in the exam answers. Really cool!
Thanks.
German123
Rep:
?
You're probably thinking of this one.
Name:  51y010tpQ0L._SY300_.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  17.2 KB

They're different books

Oh yes that is the one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.66%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.56%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.92%
I need help with my personal statement (76)
41.53%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
24.04%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads