The Student Room Group

MSc Economics - witch University ?

What good schools in the UK have a good reputation for a Masters in Economics ?
except LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial college = those schools are hard to get into for a masters, maybe for later on a Phd program.

How about Queen Mary, University of Sheffield, University of Birmingham, University of St Andrew ? other suggestions ?!

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by hodster
What good schools in the UK have a good reputation for a Masters in Economics ?
except LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial college = those schools are hard to get into for a masters, maybe for later on a Phd program.

How about Queen Mary, University of Sheffield, University of Birmingham, University of St Andrew ? other suggestions ?!

Thanks.

What are your long-term career goals? Is it definitely a PhD? Where do you want to undertake your PhD?

Of the four you listed, Queen Mary stands out. Otherwise, I'd also consider:

Warwick
Essex
Southampton
Bristol
Nottingham

Note, however, if you want to do a PhD later, I'd suggest doing an MSc Economics and Econometrics degree. You need a strong mathematical grounding for a PhD.

Otherwise you could also consider abroad:
Paris School of Economics
ECARES
Carlos III Madrid
CEMFI
Toulouse School of Economics
UCLouvain
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Original post by .ACS.
What are your long-term career goals? Is it definitely a PhD? Where do you want to undertake your PhD?

Of the four you listed, Queen Mary stands out. Otherwise, I'd also consider:

Warwick
Essex
Southampton
Bristol
Nottingham

Note, however, if you want to do a PhD later, I'd suggest doing an MSc Economics and Econometrics degree. You need a strong mathematical grounding for a PhD.

Otherwise you could also consider abroad:
Paris School of Economics
ECARES
Carlos III Madrid
CEMFI
Toulouse School of Economics
UCLouvain
Amsterdam
Rotterdam

This! Not much to add... Just, if you are willing to apply for a PhD look at the research profiles of economics department (you might decide to stay in the same school of your MSc; and anyways it might be an advantage to have reference letters from people working in a research intensive and well reputed department).

To the UK list you can also add:
Bath
Exeter
(even if I'd say Bristol/Essex/Nottingham/Warwick are better, especially in terms of research)

To the international:
Bocconi
Tilburg
Zurich
UBC
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello everyone,

I am an Italian university student.
I got admitted to several Msc in Economics in Europe, as I would like to pursue a Phd in the same field afterwards. As you were talking about this topic, if you don't mind, I would need some advice I decided to write here.

I have received lots of offers: UPF, Nottingham, Essex, Exeter, ECARES and waiting for UCLouvain, in Belgium.

If it were for me I'd go for UPF in Barcelona, but tuition fees are quite high and I received no scholarship.
The UK could be a bit too expensive as well, so I narrowed down (mainly for financial reasons) my choices to two options, but I can't make up my mind. Still I would like to have the best preparation I can in order to successufully take a great Phd afterwards.

My options are:

- Msc Economics at ECARES (Brussels) (2 years master and then, hopefully, 3 years Phd always at ECARES)
- Msc Economics at Universitè Catholique de Louvain (UCL) (1 or 2 years, I applied for direct access to 2nd year of the program but I haven't received the admission answer yet)

I saw both school have an excellent reputation, as well as programs and faculty.
My worries about ECARES is that the master lasts 2 years even though hopefully, I would have access to their Phd if I get good grades. Louvain, instead, could be only one year before Phd...

Also my main research interest
regard International trade/international economics field.

Which is your opinion about these two uni? Which would you recommend more and why? I wouldn't mind taking also a Phd in one of these two, as well as taking it into another country (other places in Europe such as UK and, why not, the US)

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending