Ecasx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm picking Highers at the moment and wanted to have some sort of idea of what accounting is like, particularly the style of the exam. For those of you who are sitting it/have sat it, how difficult is it compared to other subjects? Is there any theory involved in the exam, such as defining terms like in business? Or is it just filling out budgets and financial accounts or whatever? Right now it seems like knowing lots of formulae and learning how to use these to plug numbers onto a sheet. Is this true..?

Thanks in advance
notciaran
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ecasx)
I'm picking Highers at the moment and wanted to have some sort of idea of what accounting is like, particularly the style of the exam. For those of you who are sitting it/have sat it, how difficult is it compared to other subjects? Is there any theory involved in the exam, such as defining terms like in business? Or is it just filling out budgets and financial accounts or whatever? Right now it seems like knowing lots of formulae and learning how to use these to plug numbers onto a sheet. Is this true..?

Thanks in advance
Sorry this a week late, just saw it now and noticed no one else had replied so thought I would

I did Higher Accounting over S3/4 for 3 periods a week. Truthfully, I never tried very hard, putting the same amount of effort into it as I did with my standard grades, and as a result got a C. Higher accounting is basically receiving financial information on a sheet and preparing a set of accounts with it.

I'd say that the subject itself is quite easy if you put the effort into it. It's quite dull though as it generally revolves around learning the format for different types of accounts.There is some theory in the exam, it is about 5% of the total marks and the questions are quite similar to the ones in business.There aren't many formulae at all, theres roughly 7 in the Break Even Point part of the course but thats about it. They're not that hard to learn.

Higher Accounting is pretty much learning how to plug numbers into a sheet, you don't have to be good at maths either.

If you've got any other questions I'm happy to help
ThatGuyWhoWrites
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I just sat Higher Accounting. I generally found it easy as a subject mainly because I did credit standard grade in S3 and S4 and so it was pretty easy after doing that.

(Original post by notciaran)
Sorry this a week late, just saw it now and noticed no one else had replied so thought I would

I did Higher Accounting over S3/4 for 3 periods a week. Truthfully, I never tried very hard, putting the same amount of effort into it as I did with my standard grades, and as a result got a C. Higher accounting is basically receiving financial information on a sheet and preparing a set of accounts with it.

I'd say that the subject itself is quite easy if you put the effort into it. It's quite dull though as it generally revolves around learning the format for different types of accounts.There is some theory in the exam, it is about 5% of the total marks and the questions are quite similar to the ones in business.There aren't many formulae at all, theres roughly 7 in the Break Even Point part of the course but thats about it. They're not that hard to learn.

Higher Accounting is pretty much learning how to plug numbers into a sheet, you don't have to be good at maths either.

If you've got any other questions I'm happy to help
This dude covered most of the general points about the course - about the theory and memorising layouts. Accounting is just all about practise and repetition to get the layouts stuck in your head, you just need basic maths consisting of adding, subtracting etc. and the ratios and break even formulas are quite easy to remember with practise.

The course is split into financial and management accounting which both involve doing accounts and have a 10 mark theory question each in the final exam.

Large questions are worth around 40/50 marks and you can get really high marks quite easily once you have practised them all year.

Give it a go if you are interested in having a very practical qualification that chartered accountancy businesses look for and if you have an interest in business then it will be very suited to you.

It will compliment other business subjects such as Business Management, Economics and Administration and will make you stand out on your CV if you see planning to go down this route in terms of employment.
Good luck whatever you do.
SerLorasTyrell
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Everyone I know that took it said it was an easy A, just learn the layouts and a formula or two apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (112)
14.12%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (85)
10.72%
Changed course offer (35)
4.41%
Clearing (57)
7.19%
Conditional offer (11)
1.39%
Deferral (33)
4.16%
Ucas Extra (92)
11.6%
First Generation or First in Family (25)
3.15%
Point of Entry (55)
6.94%
Self-release (115)
14.5%
Tariff Point (64)
8.07%
Unconditional offer (11)
1.39%
Withdrawal (23)
2.9%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (69)
8.7%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (6)
0.76%

Watched Threads