Third of adults can't do GCSE finance maths Watch

Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27325959

If you listen to the very end it will cause you to lose faith in humanity.
Rep:
?
Bump
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bashur)
Bumping after 5 minutes?

:rolleyes:
Welcome to chat.
RoyalBlue7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Third of adults have something wrong with them.

I'm lucky I'm not going to be one of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Thanks, I hope I enjoy my stay. I am looking forward to the unfunny "I do this, ask me anything" threads as well as the "Who has the worst --- on TSR?" threads. It's going to be great fun.
Yeah. I tried to bump this thread to get past the mountain of **** that gets posted her but evidently i mistook the general level of maturity in this forum.
Rep:
?
With 10,000 posts on here I am surprised it took you that long!
That's because my rose tinted glasses remind me that 2 years ago a post like this would have took the roof off.
Bashur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
That's because my rose tinted glasses remind me that 2 years ago a post like this would have took the roof off.
Children these days... :rolleyes:
Bashur
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"2/3 is 75%"

That was painful to hear.

I'm a bit unsure about the study though, 2000 people doesn't seem like a large enough sample size to then make such a large claim as the headline does.
sliceofcake
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow. I was surprised to get the first two answers. I don't think I could hear/understand him with the third question but I'm not going to say that's what stopped me getting the answer. I'm not very good at maths. I can do 'basic' stuff and what I need to know to get by, and if I need to learn more for my daily life then I will. I hated maths in school, I got a B in GCSE to my surprise and that's as far as I took my maths education. People can be smug about being better than others at maths but people use it in different ways in their lives, some people need it more than others. Now that I've completed my GCSEs and moved on, I don't really care whether I'd pass it again or not.
tengentoppa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In fairness I don't think I could do the 3rd question without having it written down.

But the first 2, that's about year 9 Maths standard if that. And those words at the end...
Rep:
?
(Original post by tengentoppa)
And those words at the end...
I cringed.
Biryani007
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"75%" :lol:

Was the last question a joke?
I couldn't even catch what he was saying...too many numbers for the speed he was talking at. I would have needed it written down
rickfloss
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
picking on the stoopid

if they really want to test, they should go into a bank and ask a cashier about compound interest sums
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bank interest is usually calculated daily and paid monthly/ annually.

So it's virtually impossible (well, unless you have time to work out your balance on each day) to work out how much interest you'd earnt if you didn't know.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only nerds can do maths. Hehe, stupid nerds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (272)
66.18%
No (139)
33.82%

Watched Threads