Dandoona1998
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am thinking about studying psychology in university , I am currently doing my IGCSE's ( 5 subjects ) and am planning to do the IB diploma next year . I was just wondering what the route to becoming a sport and exercise psychologist is since I don't know how to research a simplified version as everything I find seems to be complicated or makes no sense to me ? What subjects and grades do you need and what course should you take as your Bachelor and then what do you do ? work or get a master or what exactly ? I would like to study in the UK but I live in the UAE so I would be an international student . Could anyone please explain to me the whole route to becoming a sport psychologist and give me any information you have about applying to psychology . thanks a ton
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dandoona1998)
I am thinking about studying psychology in university , I am currently doing my IGCSE's ( 5 subjects ) and am planning to do the IB diploma next year . I was just wondering what the route to becoming a sport and exercise psychologist is since I don't know how to research a simplified version as everything I find seems to be complicated or makes no sense to me ? What subjects and grades do you need and what course should you take as your Bachelor and then what do you do ? work or get a master or what exactly ? I would like to study in the UK but I live in the UAE so I would be an international student . Could anyone please explain to me the whole route to becoming a sport psychologist and give me any information you have about applying to psychology . thanks a ton
http://careers.bps.org.uk/area/sport-exercise

For a start, its a very niché area of psychology- not a very established area of psychology at all. If you click on the link i gave you and select "how" it describes how to become a sports psychologist. First, you need a psychology degree (accredited by the BPS- most psychology degrees are, but not all), then a masters, then an extra qualification where you are supervised by a sports psych.

There may be degrees in sports psychology out there, but its likely that they are going will limit you future career options- since the degree title sounds bad on a CV for non-sports-psychology-related-jobs. HOWEVER, most universities which have psychology degrees will probably not offer sports psychology as a module, so the best university to apply to is one where they have a sports psychology module but just in a regular Pschology Bachelor degree.

Given that its a very niche area of psychology- its very likely that you would need a plan B for another job. Psychology is very interesting though so im sure you'll find something else you enjoy in it. Really its just a matter of reading some psychology books that sound interesting to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (201)
43.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.09%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.61%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.87%

Watched Threads