Grad. Diploma in Economics - Worth It? Watch

ar1815
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey all, I applied for a Political Econ. of Development degree at SOAS, after having been told that it's the only one I could potentially get into without a Bachelors in Econ. (I was a Journalism and Mideast major at NYU and took a few political econ classes, but have no formal econ background). I was not accepted into the program, was offered instead a spot in the Graduate Diploma in Econ program.

Does anyone have relevant experiences they can share? Specifically, I'd like to know whether it's a good stand-alone program by itself for future employment, if I do accept and decide to leave after a year; and whether admission to my original desired program is, essentially, guaranteed as long as I complete the diploma with high grades, and decide to stay. Any other thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
NancyEzzeddine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey! I completed the graduate diploma in Economics at SOAS. With high grades you are guaranteed a seat on any masters program later on at SOAS. It is a program that gives you general knowledge about Economics but is not sufficient by itself for future employment. If you dont have a problem paying for the tuition fees for an extra year before doing your masters then it is definitely worth it.
grt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not a standalone programme with big employment prospects per se. If you're a mid-career professional and just want or need some economic background, especially with regard to the provided area foci, it should be helpful. If you want to do a Masters in economics afterwards, it's also (almost) your only choice to get there without a previous background in economics.

Ultimately, however, it's always what you make out of it. E.g. it should provide a decent preparation for a job in (political) risk analysis where some form of economic knowledge is helpful if not necessary). If you're holding a degree in journalism and middle east studies, this might exactly be what you need to land your dream job.

PS: To understand diploma courses in the UK better, it always helped me to see them as a "fast track Bachelor": you gain the quintessence of a Bachelor degree in the desired field while utilising the academic skills you've acquired previously (comprehension of academic material, writing essays and the likes).
avijm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm just reading this thread now so I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in.

Nancy, I think I'm in a similar situation to you when you started this thread, I currently have a bsc in maths and philosophy from Nottingham university and am studying for an msc in maths at King's London but ultimately I want to go into economics, either academically or working in development organisations. If you don't mind i'd be interested to know what you chose to do in the end and if you are at SOAS now whether you could tell me a bit about the teaching and the course?

Many thanks

Avi
Noname2017
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did do the Graduate diploma in economics at SOAS, frankly out of my classmates 15 had the intention of cotinuing at SOAS by the end of the course only 2 did given how disappointed they were with the course.
MarcinS
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I'm planning to start GDE at Birkbeck this October and I was hoping to hear some opinions on whether that would be suitable for me. I graduated with a Master's degree in Public Policy in 2015 and since then have been working at a local authority in the economic development department, although I've been doing quite low-level stuff so far to be honest. I really want to pursue a career in policy, particularly in labour market policy and EU affairs, but so far I have been quite unsuccessful with job hunting. I feel like I need to upgrade my skillset and I'm planning to start a PhD in Political Economy next year. The GDE would be sort of a foundation for that and hopefully it would give me some edge on the job market. I do not intend to work as an economist, investment banker etc. so I would be competing against PPE people rather than LSE econ graduates. As GDE costs over £8k I consider it a substantial investment and I was wondering if I should bother at all if I plan to do PhD anyway.
IzzyAnne
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Did their qualification let them get onto a Masters somewhere better? I'm a little worried about the reputation.
(Original post by Noname2017)
I did do the Graduate diploma in economics at SOAS, frankly out of my classmates 15 had the intention of cotinuing at SOAS by the end of the course only 2 did given how disappointed they were with the course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.13%
The paper was reasonable (1115)
55.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (442)
21.85%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.91%

Watched Threads