AQA EnglishLitB1 - How does _______ tell the story in _____? HELP!!!

Watch
noon123
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am studying Great Gatsby, Kite Runner, Robert Frost and Robert Browning

I am having some SERIOUS problems with Section A of the exam and the question "how does _______ tell the story in _______?"
I know I should include all the techniques, and the aspects of narrative used
IE/ Voice, Setting, Time/Sequence etc etc etc
And look at if the writer uses Pathetic Fallacy, Foreshadowing etc

But how exactly do I string this together? I have a habit of retelling the story, I have no idea how to put it all together into one question and I am really starting to worry!

Any help at all? Anything
Whether it be what chapters/poems you think we will be asked
Or whether it be tips on how to revise
Or tips on how to tackle the questions

Anything will be appreciated! Thank you
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Book_club
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by noon123)
I am studying Great Gatsby, Kite Runner, Robert Frost and Robert Browning

I am having some SERIOUS problems with Section A of the exam and the question "how does _______ tell the story in _______?"
I know I should include all the techniques, and the aspects of narrative used
IE/ Voice, Setting, Time/Sequence etc etc etc
And look at if the writer uses Pathetic Fallacy, Foreshadowing etc

But how exactly do I string this together? I have a habit of retelling the story, I have no idea how to put it all together into one question and I am really starting to worry!

Any help at all? Anything
Whether it be what chapters/poems you think we will be asked
Or whether it be tips on how to revise
Or tips on how to tackle the questions

Anything will be appreciated! Thank you
Hello I did Gatsby last year and I got an A in the exam so I hope I can help you! It will ask you about chapters, so in terms of revision I would revise each chapter and like you say, the important narrative methods in each. So the question will be: 'How does F. Scott Fitzgerald tell the story in Chapter 7 of The Great Gatsby?'

Revision: When I revised for this exam, I did mind maps for each chapter with five of the most important narrative methods (as you only have 30 mins to write part A) and expand from there with quotes.

Writing the answer: It is best to start the essay with a few lines summarising the main point of the chapter, as in, why has Fitzgerald put this here? What is the effect of this chapter? Then from there, each paragraph should focus upon a narrative method, starting with a topic sentence. e.g. : ' The setting of Gatsby's house is imperative to the tone at the beginning of chapter 3'. There shouldn't be any need for a formal conclusion so don't worry about that

If you have any more questions about Gatsby at all, don't hesitate to ask!
kayleighforster
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
you should write 1 point about narrative voice in the chapter e.g. is it reliable
2 or 3 points about structure e.g. foreshadowing, chronology, beginnings, endings, climax, anticlimax, suspense etc.
and finally 1 point about setting or characterisation
TessaAttrill
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hi!
For these types of questions my teacher gives me this structure to follow:

Section 1:
Comment on the narrative voice of the poem/chapter.
Write a BRIEF summary on what happens in the poem/chapter.

Section 2:
Pick out 2 to 3 specific language points and analyse them. Use quotations from the texts.

Section 3:
Pick out 2/3 structure and form points and analyse them.

General:
Make sure that everything you say always links back to the question, ie. if Frost uses personification, how does this tell the story, how does it support the narrative etc.

Hope this helps! I've got my AS exam for Frost, Auden, The Great Gatsby and The Kite Runner on Friday..!
kaystaarr
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Hey J
I’m taking this exam too and I’m doing Gatsby, Kite Runner, Browning and Tennyson, so pretty similar

so for section Ai, we are told at our school to do Gatsby, just because TKR is waaayy too long and you can apply poetry to pretty much anything in section B
(but we are told to check what the section B question is first, just in case GG fits in better than some of the poetry..)

In section A there are no A01 marks, so there’s no particular need to use topic sentences or whatever, just bang out the points (we are told to spend about 25mins on this part of section A as there are no marks for style).

Start with 2-3 sentences about the story: where does the chapter come in the novel? What has just happened before it? If it’s a poem, just do a brief summary.

Follow the order of the poem or novel, it makes more sense and it gives you structure so you don’t miss anything out.

Then we are told to pick out different narrative sections(about four or five) like characterisation, setting, destination etc. Then, obviously, you pick out quotations and do some analysis. You need to mention some alternative interpretations and, just to be safe, our English teacher told us to pick quotes with at least 3 or 4 different language techniques (repetition, simile, metaphor….) so we can show off critical vocabulary and comment on the effect of this blah blah blah

Section Aii: 35 mins, use topic sentences, context etc etc, but you don’t need to analyse the quotes (no marks are given here) J

We were discussing in class last week that chapter 6 of GG hasn’t come up yet, so it’s a possibility that it may come up (hopefully) but chapters have been repeated so I don't know..
And for section B, apparently there hasn’t been anything on symbolism/imagery or openings yet, so who knows? The exam board are getting rid of these exams soon so it would be silly if they missed out on something as big as these

I hope that this kind of helped J
Good luck!

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads