Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (34)
85%
Of the contrary, No (2)
5%
Abstain (4)
10%
This discussion is closed.
toronto353
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
V645 - First Aid in Teaching Bill 2014, TSR Government

First Aid in Teaching Act

An Act to ensure all teachers are trained in first aid in the event of harm/injury in the classroom.

Preamble
Currenty, basic first aid training is not a requirement for teachers and assistants across the UK. Accidents are common in the classroom, including cuts, burns, seizures and anaphylaxis. Historically the role of the "school nurse" filled this gap, however, to save time and ensure that there is always someone available, the government feels it would be sensible to ensure first aid is a requirement for all teachers to begin work. This may include additional training for teachers at special educational schools.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

Definition
1. Definition
OFSTED refers to the office for standards in education, children's services and skills.

The HSE refers to the Health and Safety Executive

The QCA refers to the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority.

LEAs refer to local education authorities.

This bill applies to all schools in the UK, be they state, public, grammar schools and academies.

First Aid Training
1. Staff
All trained teachers, assistant teachers, and auxiliary staff must be trained to an adequate level in first aid.
Teachers who already have received first aid training that match the requirements in (2.) are not applicable.
This bill applies to primary and secondary schooling.
This does not apply to teaching staff outside the classroom.

2. Training
First aid training must obey all OFSTED requirements on first aid training, in line with child carer first aid training. All training will be run by LEAs in conjunction with charitable organisations specified in the guidelines. This will be the HSE or QCA, or provided by the Red Cross, St John Ambulance or St Andrew Ambulance. Any staff members who are found to be teaching without said qualification, will face upwards of a suspension for 1 year.

3. Cost
Costs will be substantially lowered by I house costs. Cost for one person similar first aid training in child carers equates to approximately £103. Teaching staff in the UK breaks down as follows;
England= 800,000
Scotland = 60,000
Wales = 26,000
Northern Ireland = 19,000.

Therefore to train individuals we expend approximately £92 million, this will be substantially lower.

4. Implementation
By September 1st 2015, minimum 1/4 staff musf be trained
By September 1st 2016, minimum 1/2 staff must be trained
By September 1st 2017, all staff must comply.
Details of number of staff trained will be included in the OFSTED report.

Retraining
5. Retraining
This bill will also ensure first aid refreshers classes will be incorporated into teacher training days.

SHORT TITLE, COMMENCEMENT AND EXTENT

5. Short title
(1) This act may be cited as the First Aid in Teaching Bill 2014.

6. Commencement and extent
(1) This Act shall come into force on the first day of July 2014.
(2) This Act extends to England and Wales, with a hope to be extended to Scotland and Northern Ireland.
maddo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't see the automatic poll but I am for this bill, aye.
toronto353
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by maddo)
I can't see the automatic poll but I am for this bill, aye.
It should be there now.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 34
The Noes to the left: 2
Abstentions: 4

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.19%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (642)
49.23%

Watched Threads