Joebash
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I study french at A level and I am the only person in my school doing it for A level. My two french teachers have asked me if I wanted to help them with an assembly for the GCSE students to try and help motivate more people to take languages. I was wondering if anybody knows and sort of facts about how languages can be beneficial for careers or universities? thanks
georgeheal
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I read some were that if you have language at grade c and no longer speak it your chance of getting a job are like 76% higher than haveing no language. But if youcan still use itmore like 90% that dfew yeae ago so many of changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
llamaspoon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
  1. You don’t just learn the subject; you fall in love with it.
  2. English is not enough! The world has become a much smaller place. It's really important that you learn to speak and understand other people no matter where they are from.
  3. You can travel all over the world and feel like a true local.
  4. Languages are the perfect way to meet new people, immerse yourself in new cultures and make a difference to who you are.
  5. Speaking another language really makes you stand out from the crowd and you’ll be able to work anywhere in the world.
  6. Learning a foreign language can help you understand your own language.
  7. You develop 4 key skills that are vital for any learning; listening, reading, speaking and writing.
  8. You have tonnes of fun learning about a wide range of topics from shopping, to sport, to food and entertainment.
  9. They’re good for you! Speaking more than one language increases your brain capacity and you have better memory too.
  10. It’s an impressive achievement to speak a foreign language but one your friends and family will envy and employers will love!

I stole that from a website haha.

But really, I think the best way to encourage people to take language A-level is to tell them it's so much better than a language GCSE. At GCSE you memorise big paragraphs and keep resitting assessments over and over again. Just tell them how much fun a language actually is. Well, that's what really drew me in, anyway.
sammyruse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you can speak a language then it can open up so many doors in terms of careers, for example doing your ideal job but in another country where your language is spoken. Also I am one of four doing French at A2 and a few of my friends regret not continuing with a language, and I read a statistic once that said about 70% (ish?) of adults regret not learning a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (368)
44.39%
No (87)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (374)
45.11%

Watched Threads