The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Derby nightlife

What's the nightlife like in Derby? How many nightclubs are there and where's best for students?
Reply 1
Basically get the Red Arrow to Nottingham :wink:

No, Derby is a great city. Haven't been out there in ages but I don't think you'll be at a loss for things to do or places to go. Nono8 (I think it's called) and Mosh are alright from what I remember. Not really sure about anywhere else. It's great for shopping and obviously football... And in all seriousness you can get to Nottingham really easily, which is great also...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Derby has around 10 clubs of varying sizes. The range of music played in the different clubs are just as good if not better than some of the bigger cities around. Student nights are always busy and there is something for everyone. Nottingham is good and with it being so close always an opinion if you fancy paying an bit extra. But I've just completed by three year course at Derby and I never went to Nottingham on a night out over Derby, Derby was always good enough for me!
Original post by alex6988765
What's the nightlife like in Derby? How many nightclubs are there and where's best for students?

There is plenty to do in Derby nightlife wise:

Fat Cats Bar

Spread over two floors, the downstairs has an open space and large windows giving the venue a contemporary feel, while still staying cosy and intimate. The upstairs lounge, open Friday and Saturday with DJ’s every Friday night.

Their new night BLUSH every Saturday, is designed for chilling, sipping a quality cocktail or two or even dancing the night away to some funky music.

Opening Times
Sunday -Tuesday: 11am - 11pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 11am - 12am

Ryan’s Bar

Ryan’s bar is an Irish bar situated right in the middle of Derby. The drink prices are reasonable and they have an open mic night every Wednesday, showcasing some great local talent! It’s always busy on Wednesday with a great atmosphere!

Opening times:
Monday - Saturday: 11am - 12am
Sunday: 12pm - 12am

The Vic Inn

The Victoria Inn, Derby is a 150 capacity live music venue and public house, situated by the railway station and only 4 minutes’ walk from Derby city centre.Notable touring bands that have played The Vic (before they were notable) include Biffy Clyro, Kasabian, The Libertines and AFI.
Opening Times
Sunday -Tuesday: 11am - 11pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 11am - 12am

Revolution De Cuba

Revolucion De Cuba is one of Derby’s newest bars. Drink, dine, relax and let yourself escape to Havana in its heyday. The exciting cocktail menu and amazing Cantina menu will keep your taste buds tingling! The live music is not to be missed, you literally feel like you’re in Cuba! There’s a good range of drinks and ocktails and the food there is spot on!

Opening times:
Sunday - Monday: 11am - 1am
Friday - Saturday : 11am - 3am

The Sun lounge:

The Sun Lounge is Derby’s biggest, loudest and proudest outdoor bar and
club. It’s a great pre drink bar. Open thought it the night it holds a lot of rum and bass and house nights there and its open reasonably lat.
Derby's a bit poor compared to other places such as Nottingham.

The main lot of bars ae down The Wardwick area of the City Centre. You've got Lola Lo which is pretty good and recently opened like a tiki/beach bar (used to be coyote wild before hand). It's 21 and over at the weekends but 18 plus in the week. There's one of the Revolution chains across the road which is pretty good. You've then got Fever which has 3 floors of varying music, quite like Fever although beware of the sticky floors (you'll know what I mean if you ever go there). You've also got the Wardwick pub, Revolucion De Cuba, Sun Lounge, club ten, Josephines which is a new bar which opened in December (probably becoming the best bar in Derby but can be very expensive for students). Further down the Wardwick onto the Friargate area you've got a few pubs /bars and then you've got the Friary/Scream which is a top student place I'd say. There's a few places down the Sadlergate area, including Blue Note night club (ridiculously cheap, seems to attract all the cretins). Shakespeare, vines bar, saddlers, also a gentlemans style club called Eden. Round the corner on the Irongate end you've Got The Thomas Leaper, The Standing Order, The Slug and Lettuce, Jorrocks, Walkabout which is a top place to watch the football and is student only on a wednesday night during term when the SU does some mukky duck event thing which is pretty good. That's all I can think of at the moment there are other places, some better than others but it's what you make of it I suppose and what you're into.

Quick Reply

Latest