Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Just a curious question, does anyone know what the percentage of BAME students are at the University of Cambridge?

    I read on the following page:

    https://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/...sentation.html


    That around 15% of students admitted are from BAME backgrounds.

    Does this figure include international students studying at Cambridge?

    On the front page of the University of Cambridge's website they say just over 10% of undergraduate students at Cambridge are international, are these students included in the 15% of BAME students in the above link?

    Thanks
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Just because you're ethnically not white doesn't mean you're an international...Not only white people live in Britain and Europe you know.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    Just because you're ethnically not white doesn't mean you're an international...Not only white people live in Britain and Europe you know.
    Definitely. I know that and I am sorry my post may be interpreted in the way that I don't.

    My post was just a genuine question in that are the 10% international students at Cambridge included in the 15% BAME students Cambridge publishes on their website.

    Furthermore, the fact that 15% > 10% suggests that even if the internationals are included, there are at least 5% of students studying at Cambridge that live in Britain and is not white, so I can assure you that I know.


    I am just thinking if the 15% are referring to ethnic minorities living in Britain, + the 10% internationals, a total of 25% of students at Cambridge are not both white and British, that is 1 in 4 which seems more than what I originally thought.
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bomb)
    Definitely. I know that and I am sorry my post may be interpreted in the way that I don't.

    My post was just a genuine question in that are the 10% international students at Cambridge included in the 15% BAME students Cambridge publishes on their website.

    Furthermore, the fact that 15% > 10% suggests that even if the internationals are included, there are at least 5% of students studying at Cambridge that live in Britain and is not white, so I can assure you that I know.


    I am just thinking if the 15% are referring to ethnic minorities living in Britain, + the 10% internationals, a total of 25% of students at Cambridge are not both white and British, that is 1 in 4 which seems more than what I originally thought.
    White students can be international too...

    The way I read it, it is 15% BAME overall.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    White students can be international too...

    The way I read it, it is 15% BAME overall.
    Yes, I meant British whites (aka the word "both" in the previous post, sorry for the poor English).

    Ahh ok, thank you, I'd think it is 15% BAME overall as well.

    Thanks~
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    You can find ethnicity breakdowns for UK students: take a look at page 24 of this document

    That says that 2148 out of 2593 successful UK undergraduate applicants were "White", which is 83%.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    You can find ethnicity breakdowns for UK students: take a look at page 24 of this document

    That says that 2148 out of 2593 successful UK undergraduate applicants were "White", which is 83%.
    Thank you for the document, it is most helpful towards my question! From that, that means 17% of home offer holders are not of white ethnicity and on top of that there are 10% internationals not included in the 17%?

    That is a lot more non-white undergraduates admitted than I thought, contrasting to some medias.
 
 
 
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.