The Student Room Group

It's true isn't it?

Scroll to see replies

Don't you lot ever get bored of this.
Original post by scrotgrot
No, but there is such a thing as an economic analysis of people's capacity to deliver some value, for example the efficiency of labour in a company. This is dehumanising to the people, but necessary in certain contexts. The trick is not to let it take precedence over the humane treatment of the actual people.

I would not say that the guy saying that was a paragon of virtue, but I would argue that given it was in response to someone making an explicit money-sex transaction there was some salience in making the comparison in terms of "amount of money (probably) needed to (likely) result in sex"

As long as men want casual sex much more than women and have much lower standards for it, nothing will change. Women will keep use sex as a bargaining tool, where to obtain a relationship/commitment or money. If you want look at a sample of how this would work in practice, you just have to look at the gay scene where free sex is so easily available for just about everyone (grindr, bathhouses,clubs etc). While the lesbian scene is much more dominated by relationships, commitment and sex frequency is far lower (even in relationships).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-passion-paradox/201206/the-ins-and-outs-sexual-frequency

Among couples in the first two years of their relationships, 67 percent of gay couples, 45 percent of heterosexual couples, and 33 percent of lesbian couples had sex three times a week or more. The numbers drop off somewhat with time: for couples who had been together 10 years or longer, 11 percent of the gay couples, 18 percent of the heterosexual couples, and 1 percent of the lesbian couples were having sex that often.

Unreal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Also, why are men blue and women red? Like what makes a colour feminine/masculine.

Well now it's because it's instilled in society, but when colours were first brought out, who decided what was what?

:lol: bit deep for pre 9am

women are red because they are dangerous!!

men are blue because we're cool
Original post by TheGameOfScience
women are red because they are dangerous!!

men are blue because we're cool

Thought so :cool:

See even the :cool: is a guy, and is blue!

In all seriousness. I don't hate most women, just the ones with double standards.
Thought so :cool:

See even the :cool: is a guy, and is blue!

In all seriousness. I don't hate most women, just the ones with double standards.

:lol: loooool exactly! and same here! list 1 double standard you hate from women
Original post by Катя
That's the most inaccurate thing I've ever seen.

Women staring at men's crotches is creepy.

Trust me, more often than not, when women report sexual harassment to the police, nothing happens. "What were you wearing, take it as a compliment, etc"

Men are NOT perverted if they suddenly kiss women?! da***

The work/help me thing: it's a question of who's stronger, not gender? Like I have a guy friend who's a stick, when he was moving out I helped carry most of the stuff even though "lol inferior female"

Going into the wrong bathroom is a mistake for everyone. Just get out and go into the right one. It's only creepy if you stay in there and start trying to look over the partitions or something??

Re: splitting the bill - worth to keep in mind that, historically, women weren't even allowed to have bank accounts, and even now earn far less on average than men (for whatever reason). Idk, but if I'm out with someone and I have more money than them on me, then I pay. If I'm out with someone who's filthy rich and I've got like £3 on me, then they pay.

tl;dr: no

I smell a feminist.
Hitting - Maybe true if we're referring to a slap, however I'd never call it brave. If women thump men very hard, so as to inflict injury, then obviously she'd be frowned upon, just like men. I think the reason men are generally berated if they hit back is because they are just far more likely to cause damage.

Kissing - it's pervy for both if it's someone you don't know! In what universe can I go around snogging random blokes for no reason and not be chastised?

Bathroom - yeah, maybe pervy if you hang around. Normally its the same for both, it's obviously a mistake if you just quickly turn back.

Staring - No. I don't think staring at a man's crotch is a common, effective. or acceptable flirting technique.

Splitting the bill - it's quite common to split the bill now. Really don't see the problem.

Police - Men have the same right to file sexual harrassment claims as women (taking the example of work) and claims against women has risen to around 15% of the total - in the US at least, couldn't get reliable data for UK but I assume it's similar. Your problem is getting better.
Reply 67
Yeah it's pretty much spot on.
Would a real man constantly complain about how slighted the mean-women make him feel all the time?
Original post by UncelDolan
As long as men want casual sex much more than women and have much lower standards for it, nothing will change. Women will keep use sex as a bargaining tool, where to obtain a relationship/commitment or money. If you want look at a sample of how this would work in practice, you just have to look at the gay scene where free sex is so easily available for just about everyone (grindr, bathhouses,clubs etc). While the lesbian scene is much more dominated by relationships, commitment and sex frequency is far lower (even in relationships).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-passion-paradox/201206/the-ins-and-outs-sexual-frequency

Unreal.

Goodness me. Though I would remind you that since girls lose their value quickly from their thirties onwards that is probably a factor in the 1% figure as well as sexual apathy.
Yes.
Original post by scrotgrot
Goodness me. Though I would remind you that since girls lose their value quickly from their thirties onwards that is probably a factor in the 1% figure as well as sexual apathy.

But women don't lose their value in the lesbian world, not nearly to the same extent anyway. A woman's youth and fertility are irrelevant for obvious reasons. And these are relationships. Men still want to **** their wives even in older age while most women (straight or lesbian) value ''companionship'' a lot more than sex. The more women you have in a relationship the less sex there will be, most of the time. It's that T to the E hormone men have so much of.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I smell a feminist.

Judging by our conversations, you should be agreeing with her. :P
I don't kick up a fuss when we split the bill, you're not cheap for that and it would be a ridiculous assumption to make.
If I suddenly kissed you, I think you'd push me away.
It would be creepy if I stared at another man's crotch and you know it. Glances at boobs/crotches are fine I guess? Boobs tend to make themselves more obvious.
Domestic violence towards a man is just as bad as it is towards a woman. There is malicious intent and manipulation, not just violence. Manipulation is generally the one that makes people afraid to leave and exacerbates the problem. Women tend to pick up social rules much more easily, so manipulation could probably come easier for women than for men.
With regards to toilets, how can a man be perverted by going in accidentally? You wouldn't exactly see much, aside from maybe someone instagramming 100 photos of themselves applying makeup with a trowel.
I can't remember the others. There you go, me lovarrrr.

ETA: YOU SENT THIS TO ME OVER A YEAR AGO AND YOU KNOW IT ISN'T TRUE, YOU BLADDY FOOL!
Reply 73
It is true.
nah the hitting one is true. Just look at any comment section where the story is about a woman hitting a man
Reply 75
women staring at mens crotch is flirty? I cannot for the life of me think of a single instance where that has happened.
Original post by Катя
That's the most inaccurate thing I've ever seen.

Women staring at men's crotches is creepy.

Trust me, more often than not, when women report sexual harassment to the police, nothing happens. "What were you wearing, take it as a compliment, etc"

Men are NOT perverted if they suddenly kiss women?! da***

The work/help me thing: it's a question of who's stronger, not gender? Like I have a guy friend who's a stick, when he was moving out I helped carry most of the stuff even though "lol inferior female"

Going into the wrong bathroom is a mistake for everyone. Just get out and go into the right one. It's only creepy if you stay in there and start trying to look over the partitions or something??

Re: splitting the bill - worth to keep in mind that, historically, women weren't even allowed to have bank accounts, and even now earn far less on average than men (for whatever reason). Idk, but if I'm out with someone and I have more money than them on me, then I pay. If I'm out with someone who's filthy rich and I've got like £3 on me, then they pay.

tl;dr: no

tl;dr: tripe
Original post by just a dad
FFS. Who'd be a women on TSR?

Watching the male dominated threads ripping women on TSR, presumably by people who will (in some cases) go on to become quite important people in industry, commerce and society, is one of the more depressing things in life.

You dropped your fedora.

But anyway, you can't be serious in saying TSR is ripping on women. There are a gazillion feminism threads a day.
Reply 78
Also, why are men blue and women red? Like what makes a colour feminine/masculine.

Well now it's because it's instilled in society, but when colours were first brought out, who decided what was what?

:lol: bit deep for pre 9am

Read in an issue of the New Scientist once (can't be bothered to find it) that females might evolutionarily favour red things because they resemble berries looked for when foraging. Presumably someone decided that baby clothes should be different colours to tell boys and girls apart (without checking physically) whenver baby clothes came into fashion.

I don't think the OP is that accurate, but it's more true this way around than if you reverse it (i.e. swap the men and women stick figures around). That gives it imho some credence.
Original post by lerjj
Read in an issue of the New Scientist once (can't be bothered to find it) that females might evolutionarily favour red things because they resemble berries looked for when foraging. Presumably someone decided that baby clothes should be different colours to tell boys and girls apart (without checking physically) whenver baby clothes came into fashion.

I don't think the OP is that accurate, but it's more true this way around than if you reverse it (i.e. swap the men and women stick figures around). That gives it imho some credence.

That is an interesting theory!

It's more accurate than not so, it's justified imo.

Quick Reply

Latest