The Student Room Group

Do you consider UKIP good or bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by disposable
UKIP only really hates Muslims though. That's something a huge number of Non-Muslim Indians support them over as well. I think people forget that UKIP has Indian supporters too.

Well I don't care about religion. All i see is if UKIP hates Muslims and wants them out then I don't see why they won't pull the trigger on Sikhs, Hindus, Jewish, and other people from other minority religons/races.
Brexit voters will be wishing they were still significant, we are all going to be more or less still part of the EU. Being shafted, but knew we would be anyway.
Original post by hexagonalRod
I think the fact UKIP is opposed to the European Declaration of Human Rights is a good enough reason for it to be a bad party. Fundamental human rights should not be put aside just because a few goons are scape-goating..

I totally agree.
Plus just look at Germany from 1934-1945. See what good scapegoating did then.
Original post by random_matt
Brexit voters will be wishing they were still significant, we are all going to be more or less still part of the EU. Being shafted, but knew we would be anyway.

Were they significant in 2014 when the OP asked the question....?
UKIP is fantastic ....and I am unanimous .
You can tell if a party is real opposition by the way the MSM treats them or in this case lies about them.

Most people that support UKIP want out of the EUSSR regardless of the immigration issue.
Original post by Rooster523
UKIP are bad because:

1) They wish to remove the UK from the jurisdiction of the EU court of human rights. You heard me, UKIP wants the UK not to have to abide by laws that protect fundamental human rights and freedoms.

2) 'No to political correctness'- basically they'd like to create a platform where racist/homophobic/islamaphobic statements are no longer frowned upon. They say PC stifles free speech, I say not having it segregates society.

3) Their entire immigration policy is based on fear and intolerance. 'Immigrants put pressure on the healthcare system'- Nope, the elderly put pressure on the healthcare system and arguably, the NHS wouldn't function without immigrants.- this is one example, there's many more but I'm not really in the mood to list every single one.

4) Their policies are based on idealisms, not realisms. They want lower taxes but more police on the streets, improved roads. Fair enough- but where's that money going to come from?

5) Their immigration policy will see an increase in homelessness and crimes committed by immigrants. 'Immigrants must financially support themselves for 5 years before receiving state help'. Example: A migrant worker works in the UK for 2 years, brings his family here, things are looking good. Company he works for gets made redundant, can no longer afford things, is not entitled to benefits or any state help. Begins stealing to provide for his family.

Just a few I can think of off the top of my head

Hello complete opposite of me 😂
Original post by Quady
Were they significant in 2014 when the OP asked the question....?

I was told recently they are rising in the polls again (I haven’t looked for ages) and also the membership is fast rising since they had a bunch of Internet personalities join
Ukip are idiots
I can see the UKIP popularity start to rise again . Six murders in london again this last few days shows how toxic a culture we have created for ourselves over the last 40 years and it's not getting any better . Until we stop immigration and stop knife crime then this country will continue to slide down a very slippery slope . The policing bill and NHS bill is being stretched by some of the vermin that are the perpetrators of this type of crime. It's a disgraceful mess and we can't stop it because there's so many young ethnic gangs doing it .
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7048801/race-knife-crime-truth-media-avoids/
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Johnny English
I can see the UKIP popularity start to rise again . Six murders in london again this last few days shows how toxic a culture we have created for ourselves over the last 40 years and it's not getting any better . Until we stop immigration and stop knife crime then this country will continue to slide down a very slippery slope . The policing bill and NHS bill is being stretched by some of the vermin that are the perpetrators of this type of crime. It's a disgraceful mess and we can't stop it because there's so many young ethnic gangs doing it .
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7048801/race-knife-crime-truth-media-avoids/

Not to mention the total balls up this government is making of brexit. When it doesn't happen, which it almost certainly won't, there could well be a backlash politically and for most of us leavers UKIP will be the go to place. Labour will also be decimated in the north.
Original post by ColinDent
Not to mention the total balls up this government is making of brexit. When it doesn't happen, which it almost certainly won't, there could well be a backlash politically and for most of us leavers UKIP will be the go to place. Labour will also be decimated in the north.

Labour is no longer the party it once was . It no longer represents the true working classes of yesteryear . It's about as left as it gets and wholly unelectable as a result of ridiculous over the top spending plans .It does not represent small businesses and most of the back bench mps hate Corbyn with a passion but he has surrounded himself with marxists and the rest is history . He will ...they will never win another general election because the country wouldnt be able to withstand such debt as it has done in the past . UKIP may in the future change slight tack and take the ground that labour once held. I certainly hope so because she it's badly needed . We don't want any more immigration .
UKIP needs to rebrand itself away from the current iteration of moronic racist shaven headed white vanners :h:

no offense intended :redface:
Original post by GovEcon101
UKIP is definitely a good thing. Their existence ensure that brand of politics doesn’t properly infiltrate the conservatives, all the while never having any real hope at power. I also don’t buy the argument that UKIP lead to the vote on Brexit, that was caused by internal conservative divisions stemming from decades ago.

If you want to go back decades then it was the left that was largely against our membership.
Original post by the bear
UKIP needs to rebrand itself away from the current iteration of moronic racist shaven headed white vanners :h:

no offense intended :redface:

Exactly the kind of dismissive attitude which helped to cause the brexit vote.
Some people will never learn, your surname isn't Thornberry is it?
Original post by ColinDent
Exactly the kind of dismissive attitude which helped to cause the brexit vote.
Some people will never learn, your surname isn't Thornberry is it?

did you have a fun fireworks party ?

:h:
Original post by the bear
did you have a fun fireworks party ?

:h:

What? That doesn't even make sense, still if it keeps you happy I guess.
Original post by EllieC130
Basically I overheard a conversation some girls were having about how if UKIP get into power the country is doomed, jokingly saying they'd all be kicked out of the country (three Asian girls and a black girl; all born here) but then went on to say Farage wanted all the Asians out which is when I said "He couldn't do that. There'd be some massive rebellion" also adding that the Tories and Labour wouldn't be much better for the country. I bowed out soon afterwards realising I'd kind of spoken where I shouldn't have (because you know, not my conversation). This got me to thinking about how there are probably a lot of people that really think that.

My dad votes for UKIP and I got into a conversation with him about it the other day. He argued that UKIP aren't actually racist, they just want tighter immigration laws and for our country to stop giving benefits to everyone who comes in.

Now while his argument, though not really backed up by anything, actually sounds more like something that COULD be a possibility I'm still not sure partially because of the bad rep they've got. I want intending on voting next year but now im considering voting for UKIP mainly because we've seen both the conservatives and labour **** up so it'd be nice to see if UKI p is an improvement. If not, we can always get rid of them in 4 years right? But anyways I'm interested as to what you all think.

I know these threads are overdone however I wanted to make a thread asking rather than focussing on certain things, I just want to ask in general do people consider UKIP good or bad?

Any party that is anti-immigration is good. All the non-white countries have anti-immigration policies. If you are British, good luck in obtaining your Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Ugandan, Liberian passport.
Original post by Rooster523
UKIP are bad because:

1) They wish to remove the UK from the jurisdiction of the EU court of human rights. You heard me, UKIP wants the UK not to have to abide by laws that protect fundamental human rights and freedoms.

2) 'No to political correctness'- basically they'd like to create a platform where racist/homophobic/islamaphobic statements are no longer frowned upon. They say PC stifles free speech, I say not having it segregates society.

I see why you would see it as such, but the costs of remaining under the jurisdiction of the EU's court outweigh the benefits. UK can still follow the same set of Human Rights without being ruled over by the EU. Remaining under their jurisdiction will mean that the EU can take decisions that the regular UK citizen has no power over. In fact, even if the majority of UK's population decided against one of EU's decisions it would have no effect, as the EU is not a full democracy. People have no chance to vote for or against certain laws instated by the EU which can lead to the UK, one of (if not the) biggest contributors to EU's economy, and it's people at a big disadvantage.
Moreover, for your second point, I believe that hate speech laws are highly vague regarding what is or is not deemed 'hate speech'. This allows for a slippery slope, along which more and more words, phrases and ideas might be considered offensive. I don't believe there should be a legal punishment for some ignorant person deciding to say racist things, but a social punishment. If they spread racist ideas those should be taken apart piece by piece and all of its flaws being pointed out. You have to show them why they are wrong, only this will make them change their ways. Just throwing a racist in jail will make him think he's even more right "look i can't say bad things about x race, that means i was right and they tried to shut me up". UKIP's idea of broadening free speech bytaking down speech restricting laws, such as the hate speech ones will help people think more critically, and show them exactly why certain beliefs are wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending