The Student Room Group

Should I wash my hair twice?

I've heard it's really bad for your hair to wash it everyday so I usually do it every 2-3 days depending. My problem is that I have recently joined a gym and to get the most out of it I obviously want to go quite a lot. I was thinking 4-5 days a week and maybe Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I don't want to leave the gym without getting a shower as I will obviously be all sweaty.. The showers at the gym are the kind you just stand under so there isn't really a way to avoid getting my hair wet..

I have already washed my hair this morning with shampoo and conditioner but I am going to the gym at 2 so I will getting a shower after. Should I wash my hair or just let it get wet and dry it after? Will it cause as much damage as extra shampooing and will it still be clean? The gym has hair dryers so I will be using one as I can't wait all day for it to air dry but I did let it dry by itself this morning.

What should I do today and in the future?
Well, if you absolutely must have a shower in the gym and get your hair wet then I wouldn't bother shampooing it again. I'd just rinse it and maybe run a little conditioner through the ends if you have dry hair. It's using a hairdryer that will do it most harm though.
Reply 2
Original post by Rascacielos
Well, if you absolutely must have a shower in the gym and get your hair wet then I wouldn't bother shampooing it again. I'd just rinse it and maybe run a little conditioner through the ends if you have dry hair. It's using a hairdryer that will do it most harm though.

Even with the heat protection cream you rub in?
I wash my hair everyday (if I'm leaving the house) and my hair is thick and healthy. I use shampoo from lush specifically designed for oily hair and daily use although they have a lot to choose from depending on your hair type. If I've been to the gym I just wash my hair again but only on the scalp and let the shampoo wash down the lengths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found out I can shower as many times a day as I want as long as I put Moroccan oil on my hair when I finish.
Was going to suggest this too :wink:

From personal experience, as well as my friends, washing your hair everyday means your scalp isn't getting the required nutrients and oils produced by your body, meaning you begin to overproduce resulting in greasy hair that eventually needs washing everyday.

Stick with a shower cap :smile:
I try to leave it as long as possible, so like every three days or something. But then I can always put dry shampoo on. Washing hair too frequently does damage hair, but if you're not gonna shampoo it, it should be fine. And hair drying your hair does the damage. Best to let it towel dry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you can't get a shower cap I'd suggest just tying your hair up in a bun and try to shower without getting your hair wet.

(It works, I've tried it before)

But then it depends on whether the shower head sprays water everywhere or just straight down!
Reply 8
I managed to just tie my hair up sort of in top of my head :biggrin: it looked a mess but it was only for the shower and hardly got wet at all! It actually made my shower and getting ready after a lot quicker too :smile:
Original post by LillyLisaa
Even with the heat protection cream you rub in?

It helps a bit but if you're blow-drying every day (sometimes twice a day), it's going to get dry and damaged.

Quick Reply

Latest