The Student Room Group

Homosexuality: Prove that it is/isn't an illness?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nohaynada
Then left-handedness and blue eyes are illnesses.

yeah, of course, by that definition.
we're all diseased.:smile:
Original post by Snagprophet
Tbh, the closest I can think of to homosexuality being unnatural is anal sex being unnatural due to no juices formed there and the prostate is there to make people like pooing :smile:

No, it isn't.

The prostate primary function is for sexual reproduction.

Do you think people only poo because they enjoy it?
Reply 22
Original post by nohaynada
Then left-handedness and blue eyes are illnesses.

Wait, I have both of those things! :frown:

NOOOOOO!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, it isn't.

Regarding the prostate or that anal sex can be considered natural?
Regarding the prostate or that anal sex can be considered natural?

I am talking about when you wrote "prostate is there to make people like pooing".
Original post by DorianGrayism
I am talking about when you wrote "prostate is there to make people like pooing".

Oh right. Well I meant anally tbh.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown

it is just not the natural psychological instinct of a human.
with regards to evolution and reproduction, obviously it is not a beneficial behaviour, however with modern technologies, i wouldn't call it negative by any means.

Well for a species which lives in a social group like humans do, you could argue kin selection allows fora small instance of homosexuality in the population to be beneficial, or at least not negative.
the prostate is there to make people like pooing :smile:

:lol: I've never heard that before, never. I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Of course, it's completely unscientific and women obviously don't have a prostate. And I think it's a bit suspect if you get a lot of pleasure from taking a dump. But horses for courses, eh? Who am I to judge the pleasure you get from that

Oh and not all gay people practice anal sex, and not all anal sex practitioners are gay (in fact, most of them are probably straight given the huge disparity in straight/gay numbers)

I don't think you can really substantiate that comment. Natural is a damnably hazy and rather unscientific word in this context, but if we are to use it, then it is obviously natural given it occurs naturally in humans and in the animal kingdom. Humans have been doing this since before the dawn of time, it's not like it's artificially created.

On the issue of instinct, my instinct of obviously homosexual. When I see a really hot guy, say, on the beach, my animal instinct is saying "**** his brains out", and obviously drawing my attention to the more arousing aspects of his anatomy. This isn't some contrived, sexless desire, it's visceral, animalistic lust
Reply 29
Original post by joey11223
Well for a species which lives in a social group like humans do, you could argue kin selection allows fora small instance of homosexuality in the population to be beneficial, or at least not negative.

very true, interesting point.
i suppose it all depends on how homosexuality emerges.
do you think it is a pre-determined thing or does it emerge and develop through life as a direct result of personal experiences?

the way you answer this question could effectively tell you how you feel about the OP's question.

Original post by MostUncivilised
I don't think you can really substantiate that comment. Natural is a damnably hazy and rather unscientific word in this context, but if we are to use it, then it is obviously natural given it occurs naturally in humans and in the animal kingdom. Humans have been doing this since before the dawn of time, it's not like it's artificially created.

On the issue of instinct, my instinct of obviously homosexual. When I see a really hot guy, say, on the beach, my animal instinct is saying "**** his brains out", and obviously drawing my attention to the more arousing aspects of his anatomy. This isn't some contrived, sexless desire, it's visceral, animalistic lust

apologies, i think "natural instinct" was an incorrect phrase to use in this instance.
maybe conventional would be a better word
what i meant was of course homosexuality occurs in humans and has done throughout our entire existence (i assume), however it is not the "typical" behaviour - not a bad thing obviously, but a i said, not a generally conventional frame of mind.

but anyway, going back to the original question, as i mentioned earlier, it is not an illness, merely a psychological abnormality.

apologies, i think "natural instinct" was an incorrect phrase to use in this instance.
maybe conventional would be a better word
what i meant was of course homosexuality occurs in humans and has done throughout our entire existence (i assume), however it is not the "typical" behaviour - not a bad thing obviously, but a i said, not a generally conventional frame of mind.

but anyway, going back to the original question, as i mentioned earlier, it is not an illness, merely a psychological abnormality.

I'm not sure abnormality is the right word. It's atypical but entirely within the normal variations you find, similar to left-handedness or gingerism. It's normal to find homosexuals within any given population. Abnormal would be if it were unusual or unexpected to find homosexuality in any given population group.

And I'd question whether it's a psychological issue, that has been rejected by medical and psychological experts. We clearly do not understand the mechanism/s that drive sexuality but it does appear to have a biological/physiological component, either genetic or environmental.
Original post by Spyro93
i hate it when people say 'its unnatural'. this is not a valid argument. it just means YOU personally arent comfortable with doing it - but why should your beliefs stop anybody else doing it, if they want to?

It is natural though. But the point is that is an irrelevant argument.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I read the act which led to the removal of homosexuality as a mental illness in the UK. It was a long time ago, but I do remember it stating that homosexuality cannot be considered a disease as homosexuality is the only symptom and it isn't linked to any other mental illness.

Good point.
Reply 33
I'm not sure abnormality is the right word. It's atypical but entirely within the normal variations you find, similar to left-handedness or gingerism. It's normal to find homosexuals within any given population. Abnormal would be if it were unusual or unexpected to find homosexuality in any given population group.

And I'd question whether it's a psychological issue, that has been rejected by medical and psychological experts. We clearly do not understand the mechanism/s that drive sexuality but it does appear to have a biological/physiological component, either genetic or environmental.

of course; it is a behavioural variation that is not entirely unexpected to be encountered within a population
however i used the word abnormal not to mean unexpected, but to simply mean a deviation from the norm.
i can't stress enough that this deviation is not a negative thing, however the fact remains whichever way you look at it that the human "norm" is to be heterosexual.

i agree - that is what i am currently discussing with another poster
i think there is a great influence from both sides
however that is not to say that somebody must be or not be born as a homosexual
maybe they have a greater biological disposition to be so, but it is of course not a definitive, concrete, layed-out behaviour in their path of life
interesting post; i agree partly.

i would call it more of a psychological abnormality than an illness.
don't misunderstand however; an abnormality does not have to be a negative thing.
it is merely not the typical nature of humans.

with regards to evolution and reproduction, obviously it is not a beneficial behaviour, however with modern technologies, i wouldn't call it negative by any means.

It has the evolutionary advantage to allow the community to better care for the children.
of course; it is a behavioural variation that is not entirely unexpected to be encountered within a population
however i used the word abnormal not to mean unexpected, but to simply mean a deviation from the norm.
i can't stress enough that this deviation is not a negative thing, however the fact remains whichever way you look at it that the human "norm" is to be heterosexual

I don't disagree that heterosexuality is the "norm", and I'm no statistical or medical expert, but I have seen people who are knowledgeable about such things say that under the academic/technical definition of "abnormal", homosexuality does not fall into that category.

In the sense that homosexuality is not an unexpected variation, while atypical is is not uncommon, I personally don't think it can be construed as an "abnormality", particularly given the connotations of the word that it is both unexpected/uncommon but also undesirable. There are better words to describe the frequency and nature of non-heterosexuality (particularly given it appears we exist on a spectrum of sexuality, with many people predominantly but not entirely heterosexual)

i agree - that is what i am currently discussing with another poster
i think there is a great influence from both sides
however that is not to say that somebody must be or not be born as a homosexual
maybe they have a greater biological disposition to be so, but it is of course not a definitive, concrete, layed-out behaviour in their path of life

I would agree that there are probably different factors that contribute, I wouldn't be surprised if you have "biological" homosexuals and homosexuals who, through social environmental factors, have become that way. I wouldn't be surprised if there are genetic components that increase the likelihood that certain environmental or social factors will cause someone to be homosexual.
Original post by G8D
It's not really a disease. It's more of a mental disorder that arguably causes no harm. It's not something that should be viewed objectively as in need of treatment or correction.

It's not a mental disorder, that much is clear. It does not meet the definition of being a disorder, and the relevant medical, psychiatric and psychological professional bodies have said as much. Being non-heterosexual causes no suffering or impairment.

Saying this: should a gay person, of their own autonomy, be entitled to seek corrective treatment without scorn from the LGBT community/sympathisers?

Difficult question. The issue with reparative therapy is that there is little evidence that someone can change their sexual orientation, but we do know that attempting to do so can be harmful. It is therefore more than justifiable to deem a therapy, which has not been shown to be effective but which is typically harmful, to be undesirable
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by G8D
I think part of the problem is that only old fashioned psychiatric treatments are utilised (electroshock etc)

That's not true, many therapies have been tried, including talk therapy, psychoanalysis, cognitive behavioural therapy, and the like. Many psychological techniques have been deployed in the service of seeking to change people's sexual orientations.

It's worthwhile reading up about Exodus International, which was the main ex-gay group which closed down last year, its leaders apologised publicly and admitted that it was not possible to change underlying sexual orientation, and seeking to do so had caused incalculable harm. I'd really encourage you to watch this short video of their apology, it's hard not to be moved by their genuine horror at what they had wrought (particularly from 2:20 onwards, the first two minutes can be skipped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDiYeJ_bsQo

There's this overarching protective bubble surrounding homosexuality that almost assumes that all gay people will be 'proud' (a rather irrelevant consideration) about who they are.

Tbh, it sounds like you're not particularly familiar with the "gay community", such as it exists. These days, it's fairly common for guys my age to simply see it as part of who they are, not to go to pride events and the like. It's a very diverse community and I think you'd find that most gay guys under 25 actually look at it very matter-of-factly, they don't see it as a huge issue or a hindrance, or something to man the barricades over. It's a part of who they are, that's it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by clh_hilary
It has the evolutionary advantage to allow the community to better care for the children.

I don't disagree that heterosexuality is the "norm", and I'm no statistical or medical expert, but I have seen people who are knowledgeable about such things say that under the academic/technical definition of "abnormal", homosexuality does not fall into that category.

In the sense that homosexuality is not an unexpected variation, while atypical is is not uncommon, I personally don't think it can be construed as an "abnormality", particularly given the connotations of the word that it is both unexpected/uncommon but also undesirable. There are better words to describe the frequency and nature of non-heterosexuality (particularly given it appears we exist on a spectrum of sexuality, with many people predominantly but not entirely heterosexual)

I would agree that there are probably different factors that contribute, I wouldn't be surprised if you have "biological" homosexuals and homosexuals who, through social environmental factors, have become that way. I wouldn't be surprised if there are genetic components that increase the likelihood that certain environmental or social factors will cause someone to be homosexual.

i don;t disagree there
i am a psychology student so i have profound knowledge of all things abnormal
by fundamental definition, homosexuality is an abnormal behaviour
however, using common sense and human intuition, i would not define it as such, if i'm making any sense...

i agree - it's very possible there are two main "branches" or causes of the behaviour which can both lead to the same outcome; homosexuality

it is a difficult topic
it is a sensitive area to discuss in this modern age, and as a result it may be difficult to investigate with possible social or moral restrictions
however it is a very interesting topic, and it would be good for us to know more

same as left handedness
i've always wondered why i'm left handed
my grandfather and 2 bothers are, but nobody else in my family is
Original post by G8D
I think part of the problem is that only old fashioned psychiatric treatments are utilised (electroshock etc). There's this overarching protective bubble surrounding homosexuality that almost assumes that all gay people will be 'proud' (a rather irrelevant consideration) about who they are. It is conceivable in our newfangled liquid society that a person may seek to alter their sexuality as easily as one may alter ones gender or pronoun, and as a result of this bubble no effective or safe 'treatment' will be available.

I'm not sure any of this is likely or really that interesting. It just came to my head.

Pride is more about the lack of shame than actually being "proud" of anything - acceptance really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending