The Student Room Group

OCR AS Computing F451 - 2nd June 2014

Hows everything going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What is everyone getting when they do past papers? I fluctuate a lot :frown: One time I got a high A and then the last attempt I got a high C. You really have to read the question carefully to understand what they mean.

Also, the markscheme changes year to year so it is really hard to know if you are writing the correct answer.
Reply 2
Can someone explain to me what registers are and the types that we're meant to know, please?
Reply 3
Original post by Nick_888
Can someone explain to me what registers are and the types that we're meant to know, please?

a register is a small piece of memory built into the cpu a bit like a buffer, registers are the quickest way for a system to manipulate the data, they are used to store data temporarily during the time when a program is being executed, i think im right.
Reply 4
Original post by nevlarrrr
a register is a small piece of memory built into the cpu a bit like a buffer, registers are the quickest way for a system to manipulate the data, they are used to store data temporarily during the time when a program is being executed, i think im right.

ah ok, thanks. Btw, how is revision going for F451 and F452?
has anyone got the
f451 and f452 exam papers for may/june 2013 please
THANNKSS xx
Does anyone have the f452 (programming techniques) paper for june 2013
much appreciated
thanks x
Reply 7
Am I the only one who finds unit 2 harder? My teacher isnt very good, and unit 2 is harder to teach yourself, anyone know python or c#?
Reply 8
Original post by coder4
Am I the only one who finds unit 2 harder? My teacher isnt very good, and unit 2 is harder to teach yourself, anyone know python or c#?

I'm finder unit 2 a lot harder than unit 1 as well. What doesn't help is that (generally) the grade boundaries for unit 2 are higher than unit 1.
Reply 9
I'm finder unit 2 a lot harder than unit 1 as well. What doesn't help is that (generally) the grade boundaries for unit 2 are higher than unit 1.

Yeah thats true! Im still getting A's which im happy at, but im losing the same kind of marks every time!
Original post by coder4
Yeah thats true! Im still getting A's which im happy at, but im losing the same kind of marks every time!

Where are you losing your marks?
Reply 11
Original post by coder4

Its mostly like pseudocode and actual coding, I haven't had enough practice, im sure ill have it down before the exam (Hopefully)
Original post by coder4
Its mostly like pseudocode and actual coding, I haven't had enough practice, im sure ill have it down before the exam (Hopefully)

Apart from doing past papers, how are you revising unit 2?
Reply 13
Apart from doing past papers, how are you revising unit 2?

Currently only past papers! haha, Im not really sure of any other methods, any tips?
Original post by coder4
Currently only past papers! haha, Im not really sure of any other methods, any tips?

Nope, I haven't started :frown:.
Reply 15
Nope, I haven't started :frown:.

Hahah well I haven't done much, just a couple here and there
Original post by coder4
Hahah well I haven't done much, just a couple here and there

What else are you studying? and are you planning on doing this next year?
Reply 17
What else are you studying? and are you planning on doing this next year?

Maths, further maths, physics, and no im going to drop it and pick up AS Economics :smile:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCR-Computing-A-Level-Fundamentals-Revision/dp/0957140207/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1400938533&sr=8-5&keywords=COMPUTING+OCR

This book is really good, I would recommend it. They also have another for F452.

How are you guys preparing for Unit 2 though, I am really worried about that. My teacher has taught me no programming at all. I do know the basics of Java however, but can any of you guys lead me to some good tutorials or something, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
self teaching unit 2 definitely is harder... I'll have 9 days for just F452 and Stats hopefully I can get an A
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest