England will never win another World Cup, the Premier League is too rich.

Watch
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Utd, Arsenal etc are 4 of the richest clubs in Europe and all have great cultures of brining through young talent. Ajax as well have the cash to dominate Holland easily but chose to bring through talent.

It's mainly a cultural problem in England. Most PL clubs lack the patience to have young players in their team
goldie56
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only play fifa to promote prospects, though i'll admit goalkeepers are frustrating
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not expecting much from England this world cup.
sr90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)
Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Utd, Arsenal etc are 4 of the richest clubs in Europe and all have great cultures of brining through young talent. Ajax as well have the cash to dominate Holland easily but chose to bring through talent.

It's mainly a cultural problem in England. Most PL clubs lack the patience to have young players in their team
Manchester United have had at least 1 academy player in every matchday squad since 1937.
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol excuses

Real Madrid, Barcelona in Spain

Bayern in Germany

AC, Inter and Juve (before 2006) in Italy

England never win because a) the England players are lazy and self-entitled when it comes to internationals and b) youth coaching is massively outdated in this country
FKLW
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zürich)

And the media hype is astonishing. Wilshere has been crucified, the pressure on him for an 18 year old at the time was crazy and they don't do that in other countries. It's ridiculous tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TRS-T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It took us 16 years to win our first World Cup.

It took Spain 76 years to win their first World Cup.

Of course we will win it again.

We just have to be patient.
FDR
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I honestly don't think there is much of a connection between money/foreign players in the premier league, and the success of the England team.

If, say, 50% of foreign players were replaced with English players, the same current England players would get picked for the team, only they'd spend their weekends playing against worst opponents, and we'd have less of a spectacle to watch.

I think the biggest problem (and there are many) is coaching. As has been mentioned, the amount of Uefa A and B liscenced coaches in this country is incredibly poor when compared to other countries, and it's made worse by giving former players top managerial jobs without much experience - I mean, for example, what credentials did Alan Shearer have that justified him getting the top job at Newcastle - I imagine that this rarely happens at top clubs in Europe that former players with no experience can expect to get managerial jobs. Same with Gary Monk, and Giggs (obviously he won't get the job, but the fact he has a lot of support despite lack of experience is shocking.)
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StretfordEnd)
7 clubs of the world's richest 20 are English, and 2 of those clubs are on the list thanks only to wild outside investment (Chelsea and City, obvs).

Considering 6 nations are represented in that top 20, the fact that English teams account for 1/4 (if you don't include the two anomalies) is roughly what you'd expect to find.

So, your entire argument is built on sand. Well done you.
Why are you discounting City and Chelsea? Isn't it irrelevant why they're rich, it's just the fact that they are rich that means they won't develop young talent?
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why are people using Madird, Barca and Bayern to disprove the OPs point? The majority of the players in those teams are still from the home country so your point doesn't even make sense.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
Isn't it irrelevant why they're rich, it's just the fact that they are rich that means they won't develop young talent?
What? Why on Earth would being rich mean they won't develop young talent? It's the wealthiest clubs which are the country's best hope of scouting out and developing kids into football players, whether they then use them in their first teams or they end up at other clubs. City are pumping millions into their own academy projects at the moment, United's has an excellent reputation, and Chelsea are up there too.

The more money you have, you can:

-Send more scouts to schools
-Pay for more youngsters and their families to relocate
-Pay for the kids education
-Build more all weather training pitches and top level facilities for them to practice on
-Afford top healthcare and sports scientists to work with your young players
-Get access to the best coaches
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
What? Why on Earth would being rich mean they won't develop young talent? It's the wealthiest clubs which are the country's best hope of scouting out and developing kids into football players, whether they then use them in their first teams or they end up at other clubs. City are pumping millions into their own academy projects at the moment, United's has an excellent reputation, and Chelsea are up there too.

The more money you have, you can:

-Send more scouts to schools
-Pay for more youngsters and their families to relocate
-Pay for the kids education
-Build more all weather training pitches and top level facilities for them to practice on
-Afford top healthcare and sports scientists to work with your young players
-Get access to the best coaches
But all that goes to waste if the players are left to rot in the reserves until they're 24 because it's easier to buy a big name player. Look at Micah Richards, he broke into the first team at 17 and was tipped as a future England star but he never really pushed on because he's been second choice for years.
StretfordEnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why are you discounting City and Chelsea? Isn't it irrelevant why they're rich, it's just the fact that they are rich that means they won't develop young talent?
Discounted them for the purposes of this argument as OP claimed the Premier League is the root of all evil and contributes to the ridiculous amount of money flowing around in the English game. This is true of some clubs pushing on to become commercial giants (which would have been a much longer/not even guaranteed process without the PL brand).

City and Chelsea don't fit into that - Chelsea maybe would...perhaps.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But all that goes to waste if the players are left to rot in the reserves until they're 24 because it's easier to buy a big name player. Look at Micah Richards, he broke into the first team at 17 and was tipped as a future England star but he never really pushed on because he's been second choice for years.
That's true, and I don't think the whole B teams thing is going to help that either because what are they going to learn playing at fourth tier level that's gonna translate to the world cup? Best thing to do would be to copy the Man United & Royal Antwerp arrangement. Have PL clubs sign mutual agreements with mid level first division clubs in other European leagues to send players to them for the final stages of their development.

They could learn a lot more about the modern game and dealing with the fame that comes with it by being pinged out to a Real Valladolid or a Chievo for a couple years (for example) than playing in the conference.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Genocidal)
And in return we have the most exciting league in the world. I'd rather England never win another trophy if we can retain our position.

Edit: One of the biggest problems is English players don't/won't go abroad. Players from other countries gladly travel all over the world to play. English players are massively entitled and they seem simply unwilling to go to another league.
Of course there is the language barrier but they would say that why should they go abroad when they can make more money playing in England?
Genocidal
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by futbol)
Of course there is the language barrier but they would say that why should they go abroad when they can make more money playing in England?
That's their problem. They can either sit on the bench and never play or go abroad and play, but in return they'll never have any success internationally. If that's what the modern footballer is we have no choice but to accept that because it's their decision.
carlisomes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
...we'd have a chance with Mourinho I reckon. He's flourishes when working with scraps.
But his teams are boring. if there is a boring England in the World Cup, I can always watch paint dry for all of June instead of that..
carlisomes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TRS-T)
It took us 16 years to win our first World Cup.

It took Spain 76 years to win their first World Cup.

Of course we will win it again.

We just have to be patient.
it's just *******s to say it's money.

if it's money, why then in the 70s and 80s, we didn't qualify for 2 world cups, and only had one good one (1990) in a time when Serie A was a lot richer?

It's because we think we're the **** when really we are not.
carlisomes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
personally i don't care......if england get out our group, we should get a trophy for that alone... we're ****, we need to admit that.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by carlisomes)
But his teams are boring. if there is a boring England in the World Cup, I can always watch paint dry for all of June instead of that..
The quicker we realise that we're not going to win anything playing passing football, the better it'll be. We need a parked bus or two with proper options on the counter. Even if we developed our young coaches, it'd take a miraculous turnaround to start playing football like the Spains and Brazils.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed