Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just browsing the BBC News site when I came across this article. By now I am almost immune to the idiocy of people, but this story really struck me.

What is the mentality of those people who think it is ok to harass and intimidate a blind person on the street? Do they think it's ok?

Also, I'd like to know what punishment people think the perpetrators would get (if caught), and will that be satisfactory, in your opinion?

Article:

Spoiler:
    Show

A blind woman who was regularly sworn at by bullies and nearly mugged took to wearing a body camera so police could identify the culprits.

Siobhan Meade, 30, said the weekly abuse she suffered relating to her disability "nearly destroyed" her life.

She handed camera footage to police, who spoke to the perpetrators, and the abuse she had suffered in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, stopped.

A police spokesman said this kind of hate crime was "under-reported".

Ms Meade, who has been blind since the age of 16, said that after she moved from Norfolk last November "numerous incidents of disability hate crime" had made her life "uncomfortable".

"[It has] ranged from being sworn at in the street, young people circling me and deliberately walking me into lampposts and nearly being mugged," she said.

"They actually said 'let's mug her and see how much she can see'... I was horrified.

"It was extremely distressing and it nearly destroyed me as a person... It was intimidating beyond belief."

She said filming the culprits was a "last resort" but as she could not identify the individuals it was "the only way I was going to be able to gather evidence".

On her own initiative, she asked some UK companies for a body-worn camera she could test.

"The police had been so supportive and given me lots of reassurance, so when I took the footage to them they were able to deal with it," she said.

Hertfordshire Police said hate crime was "under-reported for many reasons" and the force encouraged victims to come forward.

"We are committed to ensuring people with disabilities have increased support and opportunity to report incidents in a safe and secure environment, either to the police or via a third party," a spokesman said.

Ms Meade said the abuse had now stopped and she no longer felt the need to wear the camera.

"You get the odd silly comment but nothing to the extent it was," she said.

Granted, it's not the most serious issue we face as a society at the moment, but it is disturbingly cruel and heartless, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    It's actually natural law that people pick on the weak and vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    The gaschamber would be too good for these ********s.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad. I know a blind man who once went to the park on a special celebratory occasion to enjoy some ice cream, and he was assaulted and robbed by chavs. I was outraged and felt really bad for him. This is the kind of society we are living in. Chavs and criminal scum do not care about how their actions affect others, and they'll never change.

ReputationRep:
    Well there we have UK plc in a nutshell. what a terrible way for people to behave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boltons *******)
    it is not a law. people choose to behave like *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is not a law. people choose to behave like *****
    The law of nature is ​a law.

ReputationRep:
    The law of nature is ​a law.
    no... it is just how people like you make excuses for bad behavior.

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's awful I'm glad it's stopped now some people are such *******s and really don't care about how their actions impact others it just 'me, me' me' :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    no... it is just how people like you make excuses for bad behavior.
    Nah.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you surprised by stories like this?

People don't have the same mindset as you, yes it's a shame and sad to see but this world and the people in it are so corrupt

I'm no longer shocked when I read stories like this.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....I wonder if they would like to experience the loss of their sight.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is a natural law to some extent, but actually altruism is deeply ingrained into our evolution. You see it everywhere in animals, and they once found a human caveman skeleton from about 50,000 years ago that had been killed as part of a family by an accidental cave-in - it showed evidence of severe disability, but also that it had been cared for since birth despite (presumably) being of no use to a set of hunter-gatherers.

The teenagers' behaviour is entirely natural, but so is our desire to protect the woman and take revenge on the teenagers. Civilisation arose from natural law.

ReputationRep:
    They are just utilising their freedom of speech, to stop this sort of thing is just political correctness gone mad!!!

ReputationRep:
    the saddest story i can recall recently was the poor Iranian man who was murdered by chavs in Bristol. he had planted some flowers to cheer up his hovel; naturally the chavs destroyed them... things escalated from there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what they'd hope to gain from being like that. It would be much cooler to actually be nice to people who are struggling - say good morning to them, make them feel welcome and safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Everything is a natural law to some extent, but actually altruism is deeply ingrained into our evolution. You see it everywhere in animals, and they once found a human caveman skeleton from about 50,000 years ago that had been killed as part of a family by an accidental cave-in - it showed evidence of severe disability, but also that it had been cared for since birth despite (presumably) being of no use to a set of hunter-gatherers.

The teenagers' behaviour is entirely natural, but so is our desire to protect the woman and take revenge on the teenagers. Civilisation arose from natural law.
    There are obvious things you are forgetting.

ReputationRep:
    What part of "natural law" is taunting others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)

ermmm no... this cruel taunting is learned behavior. they learn it off the telly and from their scummy families.

ReputationRep:
    There are obvious things you are forgetting.
    If you mean the fact animals rip each others' throats out, I never denied that - I'm saying it's illogical to use that to justify picking on a blind woman.

If there is 'natural law' and 'man-made law', where did the man-made law come from?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.