Exchange Rates, Please please help

Watch this thread
vonny101
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey guys, really unclear about exchange rates. I have a few simple questions which I'm too embarressed to ask my teacher about.

1) If the UK pegs the £pound to Spain's €Euro does this mean it has pegged the £pound to the €Euro as the whole? Can the UK just peg the pound to the spa ins euro or does it have to peg the pound to the entire euro?

2) How does the fixed exchange rate system work? on a simple level could someone please help me i really don't wanna fail F585
zedeneye1
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by vonny101)
Hey guys, really unclear about exchange rates. I have a few simple questions which I'm too embarressed to ask my teacher about.

1) If the UK pegs the £pound to Spain's €Euro does this mean it has pegged the £pound to the €Euro as the whole? Can the UK just peg the pound to the spa ins euro or does it have to peg the pound to the entire euro?

2) How does the fixed exchange rate system work? on a simple level could someone please help me i really don't wanna fail F585
uh dude, they all share a common euro, the "french" euro is not different from the german or spanish euro...Unless I'm living under a rock.
And if I'm not wrong, uk did once peg pound to euro years ago....(????)

Like China. They don't let the currency trade freely. Government controls all foreign currency trading. So in such a country, if I wanted to buy USD with my what ever local currency, I'd need some approvals (in a very very strict country)....And I would only be able to buy or sell at government approved currency rates. Or the government would regularly interfere in the open market to keep currency rates where it wants (less strict than the previous type I just said).
samboJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by vonny101)

1. Yes.
2. Buys Euro when pound is too strong, sells Euro when pound is weak. NOT an automated system (otherwise speculation could wreck the system). eg. China fixes Renmibi against USD at a rate of 8:1 so it can keep it's exports artificially cheap and therefore sells higher volume across globe so it has high balance of trade surplus which contributes to its average GDP growth of 10% per year over the last 30 years.
ddrrzzeerr
Badges: 17
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zedeneye1)
And if I'm not wrong, uk did once peg pound to euro years ago....(????)
No, it pegged it to the Deutsche Mark in the 90s but never the euro.
vonny101
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Cheers guys

Much clearer now!
Is anyone doing F585 this year (2014)? OCR
PaulKrugman
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)
Yeah the euro ERM, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...Rate_Mechanism beauitful reading (and the fight between the BoE and George Soros) for anyone interested in wider reading.
zedeneye1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)
similar thing...had a different name back then.
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
similar thing...had a different name back then.
Well no it's not a similar thing. The treasury pegged the pound to the Deutsche Mark which was the Germany currency. This is not similar to the euro because the euro is a shared currency across European member states.
zedeneye1
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RowanL)
Well no it's not a similar thing. The treasury pegged the pound to the Deutsche Mark which was the Germany currency. This is not similar to the euro because the euro is a shared currency across European member states.
ERM 1 failed for same reasons euro seems to be "failing". That was my point. Central banking across such a huge area with such economic diversity doesn't seem to suit all the member states.

I think you should read this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...Rate_Mechanism

pegging different currencies to each other and using a common currency is almost the same thing.

You might argue that in pegging currencies, the nations have control over monetary policy, but you're kind of wrong. If they play with the interest rates, the exchange rate will fluctuate and if they go out of range, they're out of the "union". That's what happened to UK, they couldn't keep the exchange rate where they were required. It was costing them more money than the benefit they would get from a pegged currency. So it had to leave. Similar reason why UK still doesn't want to get into euro. And its a valid point.

The problem with unified currency is that if you're doing better than the others, your progress is hindered due to the weaker economies. But the advantage is, if you fall, they're there to help you.
IanBaxter95
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
With the coming together of countries to form a single currency, different economies will be effected in different ways. Depending on how large and prosperous the economy is, the new currency could be overvalued or undervalued against other currencies such and the pound or the dollar.
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
ERM 1 failed for same reasons euro seems to be "failing". That was my point. Central banking across such a huge area with such economic diversity doesn't seem to suit all the member states.

I think you should read this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...Rate_Mechanism

pegging different currencies to each other and using a common currency is almost the same thing.

You might argue that in pegging currencies, the nations have control over monetary policy, but you're kind of wrong. If they play with the interest rates, the exchange rate will fluctuate and if they go out of range, they're out of the "union". That's what happened to UK, they couldn't keep the exchange rate where they were required. It was costing them more money than the benefit they would get from a pegged currency. So it had to leave. Similar reason why UK still doesn't want to get into euro. And its a valid point.

The problem with unified currency is that if you're doing better than the others, your progress is hindered due to the weaker economies. But the advantage is, if you fall, they're there to help you.
I see your general point about pegged currencies and a currency union behaving in similar ways and if that was all you meant to say then that is true, though the ties are much weaker with a peg and the fallout of leaving a currency union would likely be much worse. However what you implied was that the Deutsche Mark and the Euro were the same thing under different names which is certainly not the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads