Just using the AQA textbook to revise AS unit for history (HIS1M) Watch

harriet95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a re-take of my AS unit of history on Wednesday (HIS1M USA 1890-1945) And I'm aiming for a C or thereabouts in this exam.

The only revision I've done is gone through the AQA textbook and written condensed notes on it, this weekend I plan to get someone to ask me questions on everything I've revised. Does this sound okay for a revision plan, as I've not been using the extra notes from last year? Thanks
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, my teacher said that JUST using the textbook will get you a C max.

So you should be able to
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Olympiad)
Well, my teacher said that JUST using the textbook will get you a C max.

So you should be able to
What should you do to get above a C?
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chelseafan)
What should you do to get above a C?
Whilst going through the textbook EVALUATE the points.

For instance a textbook may say "The Mayor of London was established in...." - you should further explain this by saying why / advantages / disadvantages / link

Textbooks don't always make the links so you need to be able to do that for a higher grade

And most importantly: PAST PAPERS!!!!
Rupert96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are some absolutely ludicrous assertions being made on this thread that are, no doubt, going to worry a lot of candidates using the textbook as their primary revision source (which is an extremely good idea considering its relative brevity and direct approach to the specification).

While I am aware that the standard of the AQA textbooks certainly differ across their different topics none of them are bad at all and all of them contain enough content to achieve at least a low A (minimal extra 'content' is needed to boost this mark).

There appears to be some misconception amongst posters. AQA AS History is not an exam where one gets marks simply for laying down exhaustive lists of exotic facts that are somewhat related to the question at hand; it is an exercise in critical analysis and an ability to support said analysis with a strong backbone of factual content. The dates, statistics, events and debates that one will find in the AQA textbooks are perfectly suitable for answering any question found in any of their papers - the real skill being examined is the skill of reasoned judgment, anyone can simply regurgitate irrelevant facts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (26)
72.22%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.67%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.11%

Watched Threads