How hard is A level German compared to IGCSE?

Watch this thread
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was wondering how much of a step up there is? For example, if I get an A* in my (Edexcel) German IGCSE this summer, will I be able to cope with the A level?

I am generally quite good at languages with 99% UMS in my French GCSE last year and I also got 80/100 in DELF B1 French. Thanks
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
I'm doing my German AS in 2 weeks so can tell you about that but can't comment on the A2. I did my German IGCSE (Edexcel) in year 10 and got an A* with 97%. Last year I did the Goete Institute B1 exam and I started the german A level this year. Because I did the igcse 2 years ago, it's slightly more difficult for me to compare the differences between the AS/iGCSE, but I can tell you that in some ways the AS is easier than the B1!! You said you've done the DELF B1, and you got 99% in the french GCSE too, so you're clearly quite good at languages. I think that's the main thing, as in response to your question, it can be slightly subjective when it comes to judging difficulty. You could be really bad at a language and say the exam is difficult, or be really good and say it's easy.

The German AS has pretty much the same layout as the IGCSE, and the only thing the AS comprises of is building your vocabulary, bettering your grammar (a lot more important in the exam) and speaking more fluently. If you're good at german, i seriously wouldn't worry about it. If you do get an A rather than an A* though, it might be a good idea to reconsider doing it as an A level.
midgemeister7
Rep:
(Original post by Dominicoben)
I'm doing my German AS in 2 weeks so can tell you about that but can't comment on the A2. I did my German IGCSE (Edexcel) in year 10 and got an A* with 97%. Last year I did the Goete Institute B1 exam and I started the german A level this year. Because I did the igcse 2 years ago, it's slightly more difficult for me to compare the difficult between the AS/iGCSE, but I can tell you that in some ways the AS is easier than the B1!! You said you've done the DELF B1, and you got 99% in the french GCSE too, so you're clearly quite good at languages. I think that's the main thing, as in response to your question, it can be slightly subjective when it comes to judging difficulty. You could be really bad at a language and say the exam is difficult, or be really good and say it's easy.

The German AS has pretty much the same layout as the IGCSE, and the only thing the AS comprises of is building your vocabulary, bettering your grammar (a lot more important in the exam) and speaking more fluently. If you're good at german, i seriously wouldn't worry about it. If you do get an A rather than an A* though, it might be a good idea to reconsider doing it as an A level.
Ok thanks I should probably be ok for it, but what I'll probably do is switch to French if I do not do as well as I would hope. I prefer German but I would probably have a much greater advantage in French having done the DELF this year.
midgemeister7
Rep:
Does anybody else have any advice/experience of A Level German?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
19.08%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.63%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.79%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed