Coding summer schools for young adults? Watch

Xenonz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm looking at getting into coding this summer if I'm unsuccessful getting an internship.
Seems like a valuable skill to have now. I tried it when I was younger but didn't have the attention span to carry on doing it (I'm 21).

So i was wondering if there are any coding schools in London over the summer for young adults. All I'm seeing are ones for teens. Or self-teaching would be best which is what i was doing before? youtube videos etc?
L'Etudiant
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you decide to self-teach then go about it this way:

1) Decide what you want to do (Websites, Making Apps etc.)
2) Sign up to CodeCademy to get an idea of what it's like
3) Once done with CodeAcademy, sign up to Treehouse
4) If you wish to keep going then after Treehouse, sign up to Codeschool

There are lots of 'free' ways to learn, such as Youtube or tutorials on the internet but the paid websites I listed above are well organised and test you at the same time too.
Good luck
Xenonz
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Etudiant)
If you decide to self-teach then go about it this way:

1) Decide what you want to do (Websites, Making Apps etc.)
2) Sign up to CodeCademy to get an idea of what it's like
3) Once done with CodeAcademy, sign up to Treehouse
4) If you wish to keep going then after Treehouse, sign up to Codeschool

There are lots of 'free' ways to learn, such as Youtube or tutorials on the internet but the paid websites I listed above are well organised and test you at the same time too.
Good luck
Thanks I'll have a look at them .
bluebluepurple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe try online tutorials for programming as the above posters have mentioned. Then if you get stuck search on stackOverflow or post there, I'll also advice starting with Python its easier for beginners
JackRowbotham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Royal Institution in London are running summer schools for lots of different types of coding, just check out their website.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JackRowbotham)
The Royal Institution in London are running summer schools for lots of different types of coding, just check out their website.
What's the web address?
JackRowbotham
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
What's the web address?
http://www.rigb.org/
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JackRowbotham)
I didn't find these classes you are talking about in the Royal Institution website.
RabbitCFH
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xenonz)
I'm looking at getting into coding this summer if I'm unsuccessful getting an internship.
Seems like a valuable skill to have now. I tried it when I was younger but didn't have the attention span to carry on doing it (I'm 21).

So i was wondering if there are any coding schools in London over the summer for young adults. All I'm seeing are ones for teens. Or self-teaching would be best which is what i was doing before? youtube videos etc?
Check out these courses (all free and you get a certificate afterwards):
https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/...2#.U3izk_ldUXw - Harvard intro to CS
https://www.udacity.com/courses#!/all - several courses here, you might want to start with Intro to CS
https://www.coursera.org/courses?ord...cs-programming
Xenonz
Rep:
?
Thanks for more resources to look at. Finish my exams next week can't wait to start.Ou of interest have you guys been coding for long?
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anybody any information on a sort of beginner/intermidiate coding event aimed at potentially learning with a few competitive solo/team tasks thrown in? This would greatly appeal to me.

Preferably focusing on Python, data analysis, data scraping etc
Frank the Tankk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I recommend taking a look at Harvard's CS50 online (https://cs50.harvard.edu), you'll find all the lectures, seminars and problem sets there and it's a good way not to just learn how to code but all the basics of computer science. Also, you can go on Codecademy to pick up a language, I'd recommend Python.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cal97g)
Has anybody any information on a sort of beginner/intermidiate coding event aimed at potentially learning with a few competitive solo/team tasks thrown in? This would greatly appeal to me.

Preferably focusing on Python, data analysis, data scraping etc
Find everything you need in Coursera.
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Find everything you need in Coursera.
Seems like a good site, are the courses completely free..?

Somebody should probably start a 'learning resources' thread in the hope of it being stickied, as questions on where to find specific information are often asked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (478)
79.93%
Leave (120)
20.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed