The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
Original post by punctuation
Singing the national anthem? :confused: I don't think I can miss that one.

Oh, I will miss poutine.. :cry: Seasons, perhaps not so much. I like the weather being more consistent. I will miss snow, though.

The weather is pathetic over here.. You never get a real summer.. The winter is actually quite cold, not Canadian cold but very cold nonetheless. There's nowhere near as much snow admittedly.

But let's just say it looks like this for over 80% of the year http://www.freefoto.com/images/9907/06/9907_06_16---Rainy-Day_web.jpg That's really not a an exaggeration

I don't even know which city centre that is.. another thing every city centre in england looks the same. It's a bit odd lol

Hehe I don't know why I miss the anthem.. It was cool.. In french as well :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by benkopite
The weather is pathetic over here.. You never get a real summer.. The winter is actually quite cold, not Canadian cold but very cold nonetheless. There's nowhere near as much snow admittedly.

But let's just say it looks like this for over 80% of the year http://www.freefoto.com/images/9907/06/9907_06_16---Rainy-Day_web.jpg That's really not a an exaggeration

Oh dear, haha. I don't mind the cold; I prefer it to the heat, actually! Whereabouts do you live now, if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by benkopite

I don't even know which city centre that is.. another thing every city centre in england looks the same. It's a bit odd lol

:lol:
Reply 502
Oh dear, haha. I don't mind the cold; I prefer it to the heat, actually! Whereabouts do you live now, if you don't mind me asking?

:lol:

Don't mind at all, I live in Sheffield!!
It's been really hot here in Vancouver for the past couple weeks really, apart from when we had a spectactular thunderstorm the other night, the weather is certainly much better than I am used to back in England. I am tempted to go to the Vancouver whitecaps game Wednesday.
Reply 504
Hey guys, any advice on buying rain wear, coats, jackets etc.
I was thinking of buying a few sports light jackets with the raincoat material. A lot of people are suggesting buying it in England itself.
What do you think?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ncorda
Hey guys, any advice on buying rain wear, coats, jackets etc.
I was thinking of buying a few sports light jackets with the raincoat material. A lot of people are suggesting buying it in England itself.
What do you think?

Do you have any rain-suitable gear so far? In general, I'd suggest bringing what you have, and buying what you need over there. It's a lot simpler than bringing loads of luggage over, with the possibility of things breaking/getting lost (not just talking about clothing). Since Canada has less rain, probably the selection of raincoats would be worse here than across the pond. :tongue:

TL;DR: Wait. :smile:
Okay, I'm seriously glad I found this!

More Canadians in the UK :biggrin: I've felt alone for 8yrs! Lol
Original post by Peachtwist
Okay, I'm seriously glad I found this!

More Canadians in the UK :biggrin: I've felt alone for 8yrs! Lol

Oh no, eight years! It's okay, you're not alone any more. :console:

What uni do you go to? Oh, and what course? :biggrin:
Im watching the Vancouver whitecaps right now it's 0.0 against Dallas
Oh no, eight years! It's okay, you're not alone any more. :console:

What uni do you go to? Oh, and what course? :biggrin:

Unfortunately - no Uni for me until next year. However I'm going to be studying Law and I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Warwick and Northumbria as a safe option. :biggrin:
Unfortunately - no Uni for me until next year. However I'm going to be studying Law and I'm thinking of applying to Durham, Leeds, Manchester, Warwick and Northumbria as a safe option. :biggrin:

Ahh I see. Good luck! :biggrin: So, 2013 entry?
Ahh I see. Good luck! :biggrin: So, 2013 entry?

Yes ma'am. Long story short - didn't do what was necessary years ago, so doing Access to HE course this year and Uni next. :smile:
Yes ma'am. Long story short - didn't do what was necessary years ago, so doing Access to HE course this year and Uni next. :smile:

Ah, I see! So you live in Cumbria now?
Reply 513
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any IB graduates here or anyone who knows IB people studying in the UK?
Just worried if I should apply with my BC diploma grades or IB cause my impression is the Uni's are quite bias against IB.
Yay for Canadians in the UK!!! I need to share some advice. Apparently some employers and most universities in the UK need to see your original degree or diploma before giving you a job or admitting you to their school. Sending the original to the UK via FedEx was going to cost over $60 and I'm sure return shipping would have cost the same amount. So I phoned the university and asked if there was any alternatives. I found out that you can either go to the British Council office in Toronto or mail it to Toronto and they would certify a photocopy for $25. All the info on the British Council's Canada website. Hope this helps save you all some $$$$ or should I say £££££!
Reply 515
Original post by acanadianabroad
Yay for Canadians in the UK!!! I need to share some advice. Apparently some employers and most universities in the UK need to see your original degree or diploma before giving you a job or admitting you to their school. Sending the original to the UK via FedEx was going to cost over $60 and I'm sure return shipping would have cost the same amount. So I phoned the university and asked if there was any alternatives. I found out that you can either go to the British Council office in Toronto or mail it to Toronto and they would certify a photocopy for $25. All the info on the British Council's Canada website. Hope this helps save you all some $$$$ or should I say £££££!

I will be carrying my original degree and official grade transcript when I go to Cranfield in September. Wouldn't that be enough?
Reply 516
Original post by ncorda
I will be carrying my original degree and official grade transcript when I go to Cranfield in September. Wouldn't that be enough?

Yes; most definitely.
What is it like finding a part-time job in London. I`m looking to find a part-time job that would fit arround my school schedule, and still allow me to be involved in extra-curricular activities.
Original post by sumergocogito
What is it like finding a part-time job in London. I`m looking to find a part-time job that would fit arround my school schedule, and still allow me to be involved in extra-curricular activities.

Remember that with the visa you can only work up to 20 hours/week.
Original post by ncorda

My university needed the degree before I arrived. And it was one less important document to lose! Enjoy Cranfield! I visited a friend there once and it seems like a great place to study.

Quick Reply

Latest