Is Ethics seen as a 'Soft' A-Level and is it any good?

Watch
nathaniakyra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am planning to study Ethics as one of my A-Level subjects next year but I am wondering if it is seen as a soft A-Level and also is it a good subject to study.
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nathaniakyra)
I am planning to study Ethics as one of my A-Level subjects next year but I am wondering if it is seen as a soft A-Level and also is it a good subject to study.
Is it philosophy and ethics? If so, then it is certainly not a soft A-Level. Even if it isn't then it probably isn't a soft A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
alow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by moment of truth)
Is it philosophy and ethics? If so, then it is certainly not a soft A-Level. Even if it isn't then it probably isn't a soft A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I am honest I am not so sure, my school just calls it ethics lol
moment of truth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I am honest I am not so sure, my school just calls it ethics lol
Do you know what board it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
Do you know what board it is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not so sure.. .yeah, I need to do some more research on this haha.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by alow)
LOOOL!
moment of truth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not so sure.. .yeah, I need to do some more research on this haha.
Whatever it is, you should do it if you think you will enjoy it and can get a good grade in it. What other subjects do you want to do?
serebro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ethics is not soft, since it comes under religious studies/philosophy. It is probably on par with History and English Literature.

Despite the bad rep it gets on TSR from all the STEM nerds, it's pretty applicable in everyday life and careers. My exam board, OCR, go over the basics like ethical theories and then into ethical issues like abortion, war and genetic engineering. If you want to go to university it is pretty useful, helping your essay and research skills (you need to read, a lot!). Aside from that, it's really good at supplementing your other subjects. There's a topic on business ethics, legal and medical ethics, which does help with business/law/sciences subjects. The War and Peace topic helps with Geography and History.

Overall, it's not the hardest A-Level to take and it doesn't point to a direct career, but ethics is interesting and you can learn a lot from it, both in knowledge and study skills. It's modern and relevant, so you will find it straightforward to apply it to real life situations. If you're doing it with philosophy (which is intellectually demanding), it is certainly a great subject worth taking.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
Whatever it is, you should do it if you think you will enjoy it and can get a good grade in it. What other subjects do you want to do?
I am doing Ethics with Economics and Sociology.
nathaniakyra
Rep:
?
(Original post by serebro)
Ethics is not soft, since it comes under religious studies/philosophy. It is probably on par with History and English Literature.

Despite the bad rep it gets on TSR from all the STEM nerds, it's pretty applicable in everyday life and careers. My exam board, OCR, go over the basics like ethical theories and then into ethical issues like abortion, war and genetic engineering. If you want to go to university it is pretty useful, helping your essay and research skills (you need to read, a lot!). Aside from that, it's really good at supplementing your other subjects. There's a topic on business ethics, legal and medical ethics, which does help with business/law/sciences subjects. The War and Peace topic helps with Geography and History.

Overall, it's not the hardest A-Level to take and it doesn't point to a direct career, but ethics is interesting and you can learn a lot from it, both in knowledge and study skills. It's modern and relevant, so you will find it straightforward to apply it to real life situations. If you're doing it with philosophy (which is intellectually demanding), it is certainly a great subject worth taking.
I am doing Ethics with Economics and Sociology, do you think it's a decent combination? Because tbh, I really do not know what I want to be when I am older and I didn't want to do the other subjects on offer, so picking subjects was really hard for me.
WitnessMO
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You don't need an A-level to know what's right and wrong. What other A-levels are you doing. Would recommend, History, Economics, English Literature instead. U discuss a lot of ethical dilemma in these subjects
username877577
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Philosophy and Ethics is basically RS if I am not mistaken.

A mini "rule" is that subjects ending in "Studies" = soft. But many Medics study Ethics so it may just be an exception.
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No. It's not on par with English Lit or History, far from it. They are both facilitating subjects, ethics is not. Ethics is widely regarded by many universities as a soft subject. As are Religious studies and Philosophy, ironically.
serebro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thechemistress)
No. It's not on par with English Lit or History, far from it. They are both facilitating subjects, ethics is not. Ethics is widely regarded by many universities as a soft subject. As are Religious studies and Philosophy, ironically.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

This list from Cambridge clearly puts Religious Studies (which includes Ethics) and Philosophy on the same level.

A lot of European education systems make Philosophy and Ethics a compulsory requirement for university entrants.
serebro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am doing Ethics with Economics and Sociology, do you think it's a decent combination? Because tbh, I really do not know what I want to be when I am older and I didn't want to do the other subjects on offer, so picking subjects was really hard for me.
Yes, if you want to go to a Russell Group Uni, then your choice is fine. Even then, remember not everybody has to go to a Russell Group Uni and as long as you study subjects you personally think are interesting then you will be fine.

It's best to keep your options open at this stage. This website is really good if you want some degree ideas
suzywithaZY
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

This list from Cambridge clearly puts Religious Studies (which includes Ethics) and Philosophy on the same level.

A lot of European education systems make Philosophy and Ethics a compulsory requirement for university entrants.
Seems I was misinformed when I went to Cambridge, hmm. Apologies OP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (176)
15.28%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
16.58%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.81%
Isolating with family (79)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (43)
3.73%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (99)
8.59%
Loneliness (113)
9.81%
Financial worries (51)
4.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (106)
9.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (82)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.59%

Watched Threads