The Student Room Group

IGCSE English Language Extended Paper may 8th 2014 (miss wilkie) CIE

On Question 1 i did fairly good on bullet point one and two, but three didn't have as much detail. I structured it with three long paragraphs. Is it possible you can continue a paragraph if you go right to the end of a page and carry on for the start of the next page cause that's what i did but i left a gap between each of the land paragraphs to help signify which paragraph is which etc. Worst of all i didn't finish with your sincerely Miss WIlkie, but started the correct way. How many marks would drop for that? I'm aiming for 14 or 15 marks on Question 1, do you think its possible for me?

Question 2 i did fairly good aiming for 5 or 6 marks on that.

Question 3 on the page next to the question i did numbered bullet points for part 3a and 3b which helped me structure my answer but that took up that whole page. Then i did continuous writing on the additional pages, on the first additional page i did 3a on the second i did 3b. I know it says you should write on side on total, but i couldn't fit all my ideas on to one page it would look to messy to read etc. I'm aiming for around 14 or 15 marks on Question 3 by the way, do you think it's possible for me to get that.

Overall i need to 25 marks on that paper to get a B overall which is 50% i believe that i could do it, do you guys think it's possible for me and how many marks would i drop for those silly mistakes????

Scroll to see replies

Just to clarify for Q3, you wrote out your points on the paper in bullet form and then put into a paragraph? If you did write them out, did you cross them out afterwards? If not, the marker will mark those as part of your answer and will put it under 'bullet point form' which may lose you a mark or 2.
Hopefully it goes well for you!
Reply 2
Original post by Delused
Just to clarify for Q3, you wrote out your points on the paper in bullet form and then put into a paragraph? If you did write them out, did you cross them out afterwards? If not, the marker will mark those as part of your answer and will put it under 'bullet point form' which may lose you a mark or 2.

Thanks and i did a page and half of continuous writing i'm only aiming for 50% on this paper so 25/50 so hopefully i can achieve that even with these mistakes right??
Reply 3
Original post by Delused

Just to clarify the bullet points were in full sentences as well, they were numbered to, they helped structure my answer which was a page and a half and i have average size handwriting. I write 8 or 9 words per line to.
Original post by Bossman2k14
Just to clarify the bullet points were in full sentences as well, they were numbered to, they helped structure my answer which was a page and a half and i have average size handwriting. I write 8 or 9 words per line to.

Ah okay, that should be fine. Good luck!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Delused

Hopefully even if i get question 3 entirely wrong like dead 0 marks, i still got Q1 and 2 which i think i did quite well on except for missing the your sincerly on Q1 which is likely to lose me a mark on quality of writing.

For me these are the marks i need for C,B,A,A*

C = 15 marks
B = 25 Marks (I'm aiming for B)!
A = 36 Marks
A* = 47 Marks

I'm going to just pray and hope for high expectations when you think high you get good results. Ah well nothing i can do now except hope for the best and that the examiner is going to award me those darn 25 MARKS LOL!
Reply 6
Original post by Delused

Can i ask you something? Does writing loads for your summary affect your content marks or only quality of writing? I heard the content can't be affected but my quality of writing could go low as even 0/5 i'll be lucky to get 1 or 2?! I'm aiming for this on each of the question btw.

Q1) 13 or 14/20
Q2) 5 or 6/10
Q3) 10 or 11/20

Do you think these possible with my stupid mistakes? Even i screw up abd on Q3 maybe Q1 and 2 can get me the marks to get a solid B overall. My teacher said these were the grade boundaries for last year. Do you know the ones for this year?

C = 72
B = 82
A = 93
A* = 104
Reply 7

How much for each grade i don't understand it??
Reply 8
Don't forget what your teacher said, those are the correct overall marks for grouped components. I take it you did speaking and listening aswell as coursework option?
if you're confused take a look at this...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/194594/response/480880/attach/3/IGCSE%20First%20Language%20English%200522%20November%202013%20Grade%20Thresholds%20PDF.pdf
Reply 9
Original post by Porkchop
Then you don't even deserve a B

Screw yourself i worked hard and deserve a B i did loads of past papers and put in the work! Who are you to tell me i don't deserve a B? Do everyone a favor and jump of the nearest bridge chump! How am i meant to know the grade boundaries if they aren't even released yet you douche??....
Jeez:eek:
No need to be that nasty about it
that's a bit extreme .... how I view it is that you deserve a B if you get a B.......
Screw yourself i worked hard and deserve a B i did loads of past papers and put in the work! Who are you to tell me i don't deserve a B? Do everyone a favor and jump of the nearest bridge chump! How am i meant to know the grade boundaries if they aren't even released yet you douche??....

His comment was uncalled for, but yours isn't any nicer. How is anybody else supposed to know what grade you are going to get when the grade boundaries haven't been released yet? Even if the grade boundaries were known, no one knows what mark your work is worth.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hopefully even if i get question 3 entirely wrong like dead 0 marks, i still got Q1 and 2 which i think i did quite well on except for missing the your sincerly on Q1 which is likely to lose me a mark on quality of writing.

For me these are the marks i need for C,B,A,A*

C = 15 marks
B = 25 Marks (I'm aiming for B)!
A = 36 Marks
A* = 47 Marks

I'm going to just pray and hope for high expectations when you think high you get good results. Ah well nothing i can do now except hope for the best and that the examiner is going to award me those darn 25 MARKS LOL!

47 for an A*?? What did you get in your coursework?
Original post by Marcusroye98
that's a bit extreme .... how I view it is that you deserve a B if you get a B.......

Sorry but i just hate when people lower your hopes and put you down, i put in the work and the guy just randomly expects me to know the grade boundaries like i'm working for the cie exam board or something wtf?
Original post by midgemeister7
47 for an A*?? What did you get in your coursework?

On speaking and listening i got = 23/30
Coursework i got = 34/50

My teacher said you need around 82 for a B overall so i'd need 25 in the exam which is half marks hopefully i should be able to get. Also that guy really Pis*** me of earlier which is why i was angry i'm not always like that it's just who is he to lower my hopes you know?
I understand that. To be honest I don't know what you should need as I don't do speaking and listening, otherwise I would help you out. The link that the guy gave you is not at all relevant for you as that was before the speaking and listening exams, so don't worry. The guy tried and failed to be a douchebag, let him be one - don't drop down to his level.
Original post by midgemeister7
I understand that. To be honest I don't know what you should need as I don't do speaking and listening, otherwise I would help you out. The link that the guy gave you is not at all relevant for you as that was before the speaking and listening exams, so don't worry. The guy tried and failed to be a douchebag, let him be one - don't drop down to his level.

Thank you thought this site was full of people who just put you down and take the pi** and all i wanted is to know the grade boundaries however my teacher said i need 50% on the exam so 25 marks but i don't think she was fully sure since that was last years grade boundaries etc. But thanks for being helpful unlike some people on here..... :biggrin:
Sorry but i just hate when people lower your hopes and put you down, i put in the work and the guy just randomly expects me to know the grade boundaries like i'm working for the cie exam board or something wtf?

His statement was harsh but then your reply was harsh aswell. At the end of the day, its your GCSE and if you've revised then you will do well (:

Quick Reply

Latest