Retake another year or start uni, I'll be 20...? Watch

biomagic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently doing a foundation course at Oxford Brookes, however I applied to the University Of Birmingham as it is absolutely my dream uni. I managed to get an offer, however I was pathetically unable to fulfil all offer requirements, due to the fact I missed an important exam, and I unfortunately cannot qualify for mitigating circumstances. I will fulfil two of the grade requirements, but will be 3% off the other grade requirement.

I personally don't think Birmingham will accept me, and I really don't like Brookes. Do you think it's worth staying there for three years completing the degree then going to Birmingham to do a masters? Or retake A-levels? The only problem with retaking a-levels is that the foundation course will probably be a royal waste of money in the end.

I got B-Geography, C-Biology, E-Chemistry for A-Levels.

I will have to hand in my results for results day by the way. I'll be 20 next year, so if I decide to retake will I be much too old to fit in?
biomagic
Rep:
?
Any advice is welcomed, I'm so depressed and desperate right now.
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by biomagic)
Hi,

I'm currently doing a foundation course at Oxford Brookes, however I applied to the University Of Birmingham as it is absolutely my dream uni. I managed to get an offer, however I was pathetically unable to fulfil all offer requirements, due to the fact I missed an important exam, and I unfortunately cannot qualify for mitigating circumstances. I will fulfil two of the grade requirements, but will be 3% off the other grade requirement.

I personally don't think Birmingham will accept me, and I really don't like Brookes. Do you think it's worth staying there for three years completing the degree then going to Birmingham to do a masters? Or retake A-levels? The only problem with retaking a-levels is that the foundation course will probably be a royal waste of money in the end.

I got B-Geography, C-Biology, E-Chemistry for A-Levels.

I will have to hand in my results for results day by the way. I'll be 20 next year, so if I decide to retake will I be much too old to fit in?
B'ham - you might be accepted, if you are only 3% off, so I presume that you would just have to wait and see on this one...don't lose hope if it is your dream (whilst meantime making plans for what to do if a rejection comes through...)

Brookes - if you really don't like it, then three years sounds a slog - and it is difficult to perform at your best in those circumstances.

Retaking A-levels - which ones would you retake, and what sort of support will you need while retaking - further tuition, or would you just self-study and aim to improve the mark? If self-studying, you could use your time to work/volunteer - it would give you a breather to take the time to think what you really want out of uni.

Foundation course waste of money - it is not sensible to look at any of your previous choices and trying to rethink them - it is a sunk cost, and you are better looking forward, whilst appreciating what the year gave you (socially, academically, wider perspective, etc)...

20 next year and too old - nonsense! - there are eight years with the pessimism of a sixty year old, and eighty year olds with a great sense of adventure. Your personality type is of far more importance in determining who your friends are, and you will find people to like wherever you go in life.

So, chin up, think positive, and set out clearly what needs to be decided now, and which dates will require immediate action - what choices will you have then, and how will you need to prepare to make them?

All the best
biomagic
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
B'ham - you might be accepted, if you are only 3% off, so I presume that you would just have to wait and see on this one...don't lose hope if it is your dream (whilst meantime making plans for what to do if a rejection comes through...)

Brookes - if you really don't like it, then three years sounds a slog - and it is difficult to perform at your best in those circumstances.

Retaking A-levels - which ones would you retake, and what sort of support will you need while retaking - further tuition, or would you just self-study and aim to improve the mark? If self-studying, you could use your time to work/volunteer - it would give you a breather to take the time to think what you really want out of uni.

Foundation course waste of money - it is not sensible to look at any of your previous choices and trying to rethink them - it is a sunk cost, and you are better looking forward, whilst appreciating what the year gave you (socially, academically, wider perspective, etc)...

20 next year and too old - nonsense! - there are eight years with the pessimism of a sixty year old, and eighty year olds with a great sense of adventure. Your personality type is of far more importance in determining who your friends are, and you will find people to like wherever you go in life.

So, chin up, think positive, and set out clearly what needs to be decided now, and which dates will require immediate action - what choices will you have then, and how will you need to prepare to make them?

All the best
Thank you so much for your amazing advice, it was all I needed. I know this probably sounds silly, but I actually cried with happiness at your reply.

You've made someone's day so much better
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by biomagic)
Thank you so much for your amazing advice, it was all I needed. I know this probably sounds silly, but I actually cried with happiness at your reply.

You've made someone's day so much better
I'm so glad it was helpful, and that has cheered me up too! Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.6%
No (246)
76.4%

Watched Threads