The Student Room Group

Can a naturally unattractive guy become attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eques
I know quite a few guys whom I'd consider to be rude and annoying (they think they're god's gift to mankind) as well as mindbogglingly boring (party'n'**** is pretty much the only thing that they do or care about). Yet many girls find them very attractive for obvious reasons (they look very good).

Unfortunately this happens, sometimes girls go for the hot guys who's personalities are vile. However this also happens on the other side with guys who go for the b****** for no reason other than their popularity. Although I wasn't talking about everyone i was talking about me and how I personally like personality over physical attractiveness. It sucks how things work sometimes but i was just saying how there will be someone who cares about you for you
Reply 21
Original post by ChickenMadness

They probably think you're boring too

Uh huh. So?
Reply 22
Yes. Obtain funds.
Original post by Eques
Uh huh. So?

nuf said tbh.

Original post by alow
Yes. Obtain funds.

lawl
Reply 24
Original post by Le Nombre
Andrew Lloyd-Weber's string of pretty hot ex-wives say yes.

Yes, but you might need to figure in beyond average wealth here...
Have you ever seen the before and after pics of somebody who has lifted for a few months? Their face also changes too somehow. I'm not sure of the biology there but definitely it's possible.
Original post by Iman Rage
It isn't about how you look. As a teenage girl I can safely say I don't like boys who are rude. It doesn't matter how attractive you are . They can be an Abercrombie & Fitch model for all I care but if you aren't nice then I won't even considering being with you. This is also the same on the other side. If you are nice it doesn't matter what you look like. Someone out there is gonna look at a guy like you and think you are perfect for them. Don't feel like you should ever change. You aren't unattractive because someone out there thinks you are perfect. Do not waste your time with thinking you need to change or aren't good enough. I think you are dude.

What does being rude have to do with it? People always bring up "if you aren't nice, then it doesn't matter how good you look"
You don't have to be one or the other.

The rest of it is relevant. But if he wants to improve himself - why not?
It's very easy to make it sound bad by calling it 'change'. It's actually 'improvement', unless the guy is planning surgery.
(edited 9 years ago)
No one is "naturally unattractive." Attractiveness is more so about the way people perceive you. I can tell you that 99% of the boys teenage girls find attractive, are actually pretty average-looking, but It's more about the way they present themselves. I find that most of them seem to make an effort in their appearance - nice clothes, nice haircut/style, etc. Actually, most of the "above average" guys seem to not be noticed by girls, simply because they don't visibly seem to make an effort to look good. This may not apply to adults, but it's just an observation.
You can have an amazing personality but that isn't going to attract people to you. Imagine if you go to a party- someone isn't going to bound over to you and start flirting because someone told them you've got a good personality. They would bound over to you because you look attractive, then assess your personality once they start talking to you.
It isn't about how you look. As a teenage girl I can safely say I don't like boys who are rude. It doesn't matter how attractive you are . They can be an Abercrombie & Fitch model for all I care but if you aren't nice then I won't even considering being with you. This is also the same on the other side. If you are nice it doesn't matter what you look like. Someone out there is gonna look at a guy like you and think you are perfect for them. Don't feel like you should ever change. You aren't unattractive because someone out there thinks you are perfect. Do not waste your time with thinking you need to change or aren't good enough. I think you are dude.

Because being good looking and nice are mutually exclusive?

Being an ex super fatty whose worked his arse off for 5 years to attain a physique I'm extremely happy with, I couldn't disagree more. It isn't about how you look? Really? Funny how 330 pound me (aged 15 :redface:) wouldn't get time of the day from a single girl, and since I've lost the weight and put on muscle, I've never had an issue getting dates/ attention from the opposite sex.
Barring actually not being as nice and helpful a guy like I used to be at 15, I'm pretty much the same bloke...make of that what you will.

This "just be yourself" "being nice is the most important" stuff really pisses me off, and its not just directed at you, its a general sentiment I have. The fellow wants to improve, encourage him...

OP, I also used to have a fair bit of acne as a mid-teen. Go to a dermatologist, I did and the treatment sorted me out in about 4 months, and I haven't had an issue since. Go the gym, a good physique can do wonders. Sure, if you're facially a 5 or a 6 without acne (it can be sorted out, don't worry!), its unlikely you'll be able to date the hottest girls around, but get a good physique and you'll be attractive to more than enough women to not let the appearance side of things bother you much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous Coward
What does being rude have to do with it? People always bring up "if you aren't nice, then it doesn't matter how good you look"
You don't have to be one or the other.

The rest of it is relevant. But if he wants to improve himself - why not?
It's very easy to make it sound bad by calling it 'change'. It's actually 'improvement', unless the guy is planning surgery.

Its one of the most common, bull **** bits of advice thrown around.

Yes, but you can be too "nice". A of girls take advantage of 'nice guys'.
Reply 32
Boy, get some confidence in you - that works better than looks! Guaranteed!

Original post by Anonymous
I am what most people would class as unattractive. I have a spotty face (not like acne, but little red spots and some big ones :frown: ) and my facial features are out of proportion and my head is a strange shape when you look from the side.

Obviously I can't change most of this stuff so I was wondering if it's possible for a naturally unattractive guy to become attractive?
Original post by Anonymous
You can have an amazing personality but that isn't going to attract people to you. Imagine if you go to a party- someone isn't going to bound over to you and start flirting because someone told them you've got a good personality. They would bound over to you because you look attractive, then assess your personality once they start talking to you.

Most guys do the "bounding over", which is a reason things are a bit different. She might not immediately think you're hot, but go over to her, show you're confident and funny and you can really build attraction.

Lots of the guys I've known who've been best with girls haven't been particularly good looking, they haven't lifted, they haven't had great clothes or haircuts, they certainly haven't all been "nice". They've all been very confident acting and they've all been able to make girls laugh.
Original post by Per
Two words: Neville Longbottom

omg. EXACTLY, the point I was gonna make. You feel me. Anything is possible. Anything.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
More untrue words have never been spoken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, this.
Cristiano-Ronaldo.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr Smurf
Cristiano-Ronaldo.jpg

Money
i literally don't get why guys think every girl is shallow

personally , i don't even really notice if a guy is hot. i'm like oh there's a person to talk to - and if you're interesting , i'll like you. i know a lot of girls who are like this - it's about the type of guy you're dating , rather than how hot he is , because i will personally always choose the guy who will treat me right instead of the guy who looks nice but i feel like ****.

if you don't have a good personality , do more things! spend your money on experiences - they make you interesting , and i could talk for hours to a guy who's gone out and done something with his life rather than sat in and moped about how unattractive he is. confidence is attractive , being nice is attractive , smiling... and if you're that bothered about spots , go to the doctors. they can give you cream and tablets.

hope that helps :smile:
Original post by hotliketea
i literally don't get why guys think every girl is shallow

personally , i don't even really notice if a guy is hot. i'm like oh there's a person to talk to - and if you're interesting , i'll like you. i know a lot of girls who are like this - it's about the type of guy you're dating , rather than how hot he is , because i will personally always choose the guy who will treat me right instead of the guy who looks nice but i feel like ****.

if you don't have a good personality , do more things! spend your money on experiences - they make you interesting , and i could talk for hours to a guy who's gone out and done something with his life rather than sat in and moped about how unattractive he is. confidence is attractive , being nice is attractive , smiling... and if you're that bothered about spots , go to the doctors. they can give you cream and tablets.

hope that helps :smile:

follow her advice nd you're gonna become hot like cofee or tea:ahee:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending