English Language & Literature WJEC - LL4 - 6th June Watch

SLastYear
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi is anyone doing the WJEC LL4 exam? Any predictions on section B?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

My college is doing Wuthering Heights for the set text and my lecturer has ensured that we plan essays for love, families, and men/gentlemen. Has a hunch that they might come up!

What set text are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
CassandraLowrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there guys, I'm also doing Wuthering heights and then I'm just trying to go over as many themes and topics as I can: love, hatred, revenge, religion perhaps ? I have no idea .... Would love to know what other people are also revising for
sxra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't have any predictions but (because I'm doing Orwell's Shooting an Elephant) I'm praying for politics/society to come up.

How are you guys prepping for Section A?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sxra)
I don't have any predictions but (because I'm doing Orwell's Shooting an Elephant) I'm praying for politics/society to come up.

How are you guys prepping for Section A?
I'm going over past papers, making sure I know the framework and going over the contexts from poets on the AS anthology! How about you?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CassandraLowrey)
Hey there guys, I'm also doing Wuthering heights and then I'm just trying to go over as many themes and topics as I can: love, hatred, revenge, religion perhaps ? I have no idea .... Would love to know what other people are also revising for
We've been told to make plans for families, men/gentlemen and fathers, if that's any help
sxra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by megedwards)
I'm going over past papers, making sure I know the framework and going over the contexts from poets on the AS anthology! How about you?
That's a good way to do it I might have to root out my anthology then haha! I've been trying to familiarise myself with different poetry movements eg Romanticism just in case I get a mind blank over a particular poet in the exam.

What grade are you aiming for?
CassandraLowrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We've been told to make plans for families, men/gentlemen and fathers, if that's any help
Hey thanks for replying, I'm just wondering how would I answer the fathers question, like what would I have to talk about ?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sxra)
That's a good way to do it I might have to root out my anthology then haha! I've been trying to familiarise myself with different poetry movements eg Romanticism just in case I get a mind blank over a particular poet in the exam.

What grade are you aiming for?
That's a good idea I mean if it's not a poet from the anthology, it means you may be able to talk about the movement they might belong to or whatever :P

I'm aiming for an A but I only really need a B. I had an A last year so fingers crossed! How about you?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey thanks for replying, I'm just wondering how would I answer the fathers question, like what would I have to talk about ?
I planned it as
-small paragraph on Mr Earnshaw-
How he treats Catherine, Hindley & Heathcliff
-Hindley being father to Hareton, but not looking after him and treating him right due to his alcoholism etc
-Heathcliff and Hareton- how he won't let Hareton have access to education. Victim of Heathcliff's revenge on Hindley, yet doesn't like it when Cathy (Jr) says bad things about him and is also the only one (if I remember rightly) who suffers due to HC's death.
-Heathcliff and Linton- treats him horribly because Linton is weak and pathetic. Uses Linton as pawn to gain control of Thrushcross Grange, revenge on Edgar. When he is dying and Cathy is asking HC to tend to Linton, he isn't that bothered
-Edgar and Cathy- at first due to his grief she was 'unwelcome child' but he educates her and enjoys his time with her. Very close relationship. When Edgar is on his deathbed Cathy is relieved that she had been released from WH soon enough to see him before he dies, heartbroken when he passes.

It's a rough plan and I do have it more detailed and on paper which I shall post on here tomorrow! X
CassandraLowrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I planned it as
-small paragraph on Mr Earnshaw-
How he treats Catherine, Hindley & Heathcliff
-Hindley being father to Hareton, but not looking after him and treating him right due to his alcoholism etc
-Heathcliff and Hareton- how he won't let Hareton have access to education. Victim of Heathcliff's revenge on Hindley, yet doesn't like it when Cathy (Jr) says bad things about him and is also the only one (if I remember rightly) who suffers due to HC's death.
-Heathcliff and Linton- treats him horribly because Linton is weak and pathetic. Uses Linton as pawn to gain control of Thrushcross Grange, revenge on Edgar. When he is dying and Cathy is asking HC to tend to Linton, he isn't that bothered
-Edgar and Cathy- at first due to his grief she was 'unwelcome child' but he educates her and enjoys his time with her. Very close relationship. When Edgar is on his deathbed Cathy is relieved that she had been released from WH soon enough to see him before he dies, heartbroken when he passes.

It's a rough plan and I do have it more detailed and on paper which I shall post on here tomorrow! X
Great thank you so much. I think if that came up now I could at least something decent. What partner texts are you using to compare to Wuthering Heights ?
megedwards
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Great thank you so much. I think if that came up now I could at least something decent. What partner texts are you using to compare to Wuthering Heights ?
No problem! Any plans I make I'll post on here in case
I'm using the texts I studied for the coursework where possible (King Lear and Cat On a Hot Tin Roof) and I'm hoping to bring in Northanger Abbey and Pride and Prejudice, but it all depends on the question. As long as I get one in I'll be happy!.
saram96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Reading through a lot of people have been told to plan essays on love which makes me rather happy considering our teacher put quite a bit of emphasis on that one! Comparison texts for that in class were Schopenhauer, Enduring Love (Ian McEwan) & Othello, although Othello was part of coursework.

And if you have presentation of men I think Othello fits nicely there, so does Churchill's 'We shall fight them on the beaches' speech. Could perhaps fit Oliver Twist & Fagin in there, but that might be pushing it a bit.
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I'm doing Wuthering Heights too, like many of you here; my teacher told us to compare it with one novel contemporary to its era and one modern novel. I haven't read anything contemporary to Brontë except for Pride and Prejudice so I'm going to use that (watching the film numerous times will be 'revision') and A Thousand Splendid Suns for my modern text which has so many comparative points!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone have any sample essays or any idea how to write an essay for Wuthering Heights? I have several points but no idea how to formulate them into a coherent essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
themauvecat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello
My English lecturer has given predictions on love/passionate relationships, surreal and reality/ supernatural, pain/conflict/violence, presentation of men/authority and power of men, and isolation/alienation.
Judging from other comments it looks like something to do with men might come up.
Some of the themes they ask are disguised as other themes for example love and passionate relationships overlap with one another as does isolation and alienation so that's quite useful.
I also think it's useful to get some ideas on presentation of place, no idea why. I just hate that theme I suppose haha!
But yeah, I hope this helps with anything and good luck!
themauvecat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RunningInHeels)
Does anyone have any sample essays or any idea how to write an essay for Wuthering Heights? I have several points but no idea how to formulate them into a coherent essay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, RunningInHeels
I've sent an attachment of a homework assignment that I done for my college, core text Wuthering Heights and I got 40/40 on it if you want to take a look. And I can give you a few tips.
Firstly, when you get a theme such as beliefs, focus on a certain aspect of beliefs such as religion or another example the theme of death and focus on how characters deal with death.
Write about your first point (a point being a certain aspect of the text or a quote) and then focus upon another point/quote that relates to the previous one, whether it compares with it or contrasts. Don't write about another point if it has no relation to the previous one as you could lose precious marks. This point can be from Wuthering Heights or from an extended reading text. Then continue to do this throughout the essay so that it flows and sounds more coherent to the examiner. Never throw in a quote without analysis and linguistic and literary terminology involved.
As for the AO3 contextual knowledge part, I tend to use that in my introduction straight away as you'll get more AO3 marks if you keep comparing and contrasting throughout your essay.
I hope this helps and feel free to message me back with any concerns. Good luck!
RunningInHeels
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by themauvecat)
Hey, RunningInHeels
I've sent an attachment of a homework assignment that I done for my college, core text Wuthering Heights and I got 40/40 on it if you want to take a look. And I can give you a few tips.
Thank youuu! This was wonderful. Any idea of topics that are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
themauvecat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RunningInHeels)
Thank youuu! This was wonderful. Any idea of topics that are likely to come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome my lecturer has said it might be something to do with men, like male authority or male parental figures. Also maybe violence/conflict
ellieeeh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
does anyone have a sample essay on Love or Conflict or some plans for either one of them themes for Wuthering Heights? thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.63%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.88%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
16.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (245)
30.63%

Watched Threads